Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity Cold Calling Corbally Area

Options
  • 05-01-2012 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Folks,

Would anybody know if there were people from Airtricity cold calling in the Corbally area yesterday evening Wednesday 4th January 2012.
    A guy with ID called to my elderly mother's house and tried to get her to switch over. She did not know or understand the MRN number at which stage she admittedly (and foolishly) allowed him into the house. He checked her opened mail for an old bill to find the MRN number and proceeded to the kitchen where the meter is located to again try and find the MRN number.
    At this stage she telephoned me and I told the guy where to go.

If the guy was from Airtricity then I think he overstepped the mark by entering the house. My concern is if he wasn't from Airtricity was the house being targetted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'd suggest ringing Airtricity and asking them, or failing that ring Live 95 and get them to suss it out via their Limerick Today programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

very unusual behaviour for airtricity people man, nut they might be under pressure for sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

But your mother allowed him entry into the house to find it. You shouldn't have been shocked he did this at all as he is on commission.

Give him an inch...........take.............mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Don't know if they were around yesterday or not but call to me on a very regular basis even though I'm already with them???

They are very pushy though, they get €45 / €50 for everyone they sign up

Yer man was out of order

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Sick to death of them cold calling at the business, pushy, arrogant and brash salespeople, I can imagine how intimidating they would appear to elderly folk.

I eventually had enough when the ultimate cretin in a cheap suit began his sales pitch with a false cheery smile and the "are you still stupid enough to be paying 20% more to ESB" line, funny way to sell a product by calling a potential customer stupid rather than quoting rates!

In any case I know people who did sign up with Airtrickery, they're not as cheap as they say and have a notorious record when it comes to drawing money out of bank accounts even after debits have supposedly been cancelled. Something that was highlighted on a number of radio shows last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are not actually Airtricity employees, they are a sub contracted marketing company representing Airtricity afaik. And they are very pushy indeed. If their products or offers are so good then why do they need to frequently pester people at their doors? The only way to get the message across to these pesky companies that this type of behavior is unacceptable, is to give them bad PR. Maybe a call to the likes of the Limerick Post.

OP, you might also get some information by asking over in the Consumer Issues forum:>>

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

Don't know if they were around yesterday or not but call to me on a very regular basis even though I'm already with them???

They are very pushy though, they get €45 / €50 for everyone they sign up

Yer man was out of order

Don't think it's that high, more like 14/15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Don't think it's that high, more like 14/15.

Don't know, just going by what the rep told me gleefully, as he was signing me up

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

europa11 wrote: »
    Sick to death of them cold calling at the business, pushy, arrogant and brash salespeople, I can imagine how intimidating they would appear to elderly folk.

I eventually had enough when the ultimate cretin in a cheap suit began his sales pitch with a false cheery smile and the "are you still stupid enough to be paying 20% more to ESB" line, funny way to sell a product by calling a potential customer stupid rather than quoting rates!

In any case I know people who did sign up with Airtrickery, they're not as cheap as they say and have a notorious record when it comes to drawing money out of bank accounts even after debits have supposedly been cancelled. Something that was highlighted on a number of radio shows last year.

Same problem in Ennis over the last year or more. They continually cold call to the house, even though I've told them several times I'm not interested and not to call to this address again! Of course its a different guy calling each time so obviously they don't co-ordinate the addresses in any way, and just keep calling to the same houses and drive people mad. They have all been pushy and arrogant. I would'nt give them a cent....just for the attitude of the sales people alone:mad:

Same problem in Ennis over the last year or more. They continually cold call to the house, even though I've told them several times I'm not interested and not to call to this address again! Of course its a different guy calling each time so obviously they don't co-ordinate the addresses in any way, and just keep calling to the same houses and drive people mad. They have all been pushy and arrogant. I would'nt give them a cent....just for the attitude of the sales people alone:mad:

Could you infer that they trespassed on your property and broke whatever law it is that allows you to shoot them???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I'm sick to death of them as well! It's almost a form of harassment consistently calling to the same address. I've had angry words with more than one of them. surely there must be a law against this type of cold calling

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

Well, if there is a law against it, and if anyone knows more about it, I'd really appreciate some more info.
    Would love to quote it to them, "chapter & verse", next time one of them comes around harassing me again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

If I see someone in the area with a clipboard, or dayglow vest on.
    I simply dont answer my door anymore.
    Sick to death of having my door knocked on from these types on a weekly
    basis.

If I want a service/bargain/product or want to donate to charity
    I am more than capable of googling or looking up the golden pages myself.
    I dont need to have people call to my door bothering me.

Seen the tag teams of a good looking woman and well groomed man
    doing the chugger thing with yer wan unbuttoning an extra button flashing a smile and a bit of cleavage if a male answers the door, or the the fella will try and charm the knickers off a lass who might answer the door.

Had a Traveler doing his Tarmac/Drive cleaning speech get fairly
    aggressive with me one day lying blindly to my face telling me my Mrs had
    agreed to the job and he was loosing out on money and almost wanted me
    to hand over 400 Euros to him.

Eircom sales reps called to my door again blatantly lying to me when Smart Telcom was in trouble, telling me they had folded and all their customers HAD to move back to eircom, A lad in work had to goto the Gardai over them, as they talked their way into the house he was sharing with other people and convinced one of them to sign a form using someone elses name, as well as allegedly tearing the name and address off a utility bill that had been left on a Kitchen table.

Had some Plumber guy bang down my door one night and try and push past me in my hallway when I opened the door to him trying to walk in.
    He was convinced I had a leak in my house and I had called him and made 2-3 attempts to move past me before he was put in his place.

Airtricity and Bin company's same deal very pushy and some were very obnoxious.

I wont start about religious fanatics trying to convert me, sing songs and
    debate about all of God's Glory.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Just had an Airtricity cold-call to my front door in the Castletroy area. This particular guy was not overly pushy. He did ask if I had an ESB bill but I basically said I didn't want to dig it out right now.

He said his piece about how much I would save and I said I would do some research and consider it. I was actually surprised that at this point he left and didn't try to get me to sign something at my door like most cold-callers do.

I've been in this area over a year and the only two cold-calls I've had were in the last two months....thought I was off their radar....

nathan184 wrote: »
    Just had an Airtricity cold-call to my front door in the Castletroy area. This particular guy was not overly pushy. He did ask if I had an ESB bill but I basically said I didn't want to dig it out right now.

He said his piece about how much I would save and I said I would do some research and consider it. I was actually surprised that at this point he left and didn't try to get me to sign something at my door like most cold-callers do.

I've been in this area over a year and the only two cold-calls I've had were in the last two months....thought I was off their radar....

He is probably new to the job and didn't really pay much attention in the brief "don't take no for an answer" induction training they get. :)

i still reckon a shotgun to the puss would stop them pushing so hard......a 12 gauge makes for an awfully convincing set of arguments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'd love to find out the home addresses of the board of airtricity and get a few thousand people to call to their door's morning noon and night. 1 at a time,as soon as one gets the heave-ho the next guy calls. We could try sell them subscriptions to boards:D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Now that I'll sign up for!

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    I'd love to find out the home addresses of the board of airtricity and get a few thousand people to call to their door's morning noon and night. 1 at a time,as soon as one gets the heave-ho the next guy calls. We could try sell them subscriptions to boards:D.

Genius :D

Airtricity is owned by Scottish and Southern Energy; the Chairman is Robert Smith http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Smith,_Baron_Smith_of_Kelvin and the CEO is Ian Marchant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Marchant

The key executive officers for Airtricity are http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/people.asp?privcapId=9192681

release-the-hounds.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement