Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why no bus lane at Island Bridge?

• 17-12-2007 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Crazy situation
    Theres bus lane the whole way from M50 roundabout to Islandbridge - queue for 10/15 mins - then a bus lane whole way up the quays

why not make the bus lane through the junction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭trellheim

No bus lanes go through intersections.

Is it St John's Rd you are talking about ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

trellheim wrote: »

Is it St John's Rd you are talking about ?

thats the place - Islandbridge Johns Road intersection.

Mostly bus lanes change to only allow left turns. This changes to a straight on for a few metres for litlte benefit of the car traffic

Here you could easily have the following
    The left lane a bus lane - currently it is a straight on and the merges back into bus lane past the junction
    Middle lane straight on
    Right lane for right turns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yes they do! That's how all bus lanes should be too!

for example ?

Bus lanes are ONLY delineated by signs and lane markings. You need both to make it a bus lane.

Can you give me an example where a bus lane is marked and signed across a major intersection / roundabout [ I'd be intrigued ? ] because it'd be illegal to cross it in the crossing junction :D

for example ?

Bus lanes are ONLY delineated by signs and lane markings. You need both to make it a bus lane.

Can you give me an example where a bus lane is marked and signed across a major intersection / roundabout [ I'd be intrigued ? ] because it'd be illegal to cross it in the crossing junction :D

There are a few examples around Dublin where bus lanes pass left of an island at a T-junction, thereby eliminating the need for the buses to stop even when traffic emerges from the side road on a green signal. Examples can be found at the R835/R136 junction in Lucan, along the Nangor Road at the Killeen Road junction and in a handful of other places.

Edit: Here's the Lucan example. The bus can pass through the intersection on the left uninterupted even when other traffic is halted;
    normal_P1010012.JPG

• Advertisement

trellheim stop being pedantic - you know exactly what I was getting at - the junction I am talking about the bus lanes stops and the bus joins main traffic and queues with all traffic before entering a bus lane again -

Its not the same scenario yo uare talking about - where the bus lane stops and allows left hand truning traffic enter it before becoming a bus lane at the other side again.

not being pedantic to you kida.

just interested. the 2 inbound RHS lanes get full with traffic spinning the 180 to get to Kilmainham.

The left hand lane needs to be kept free for traffic progressing.. but yes it's only 100m - interesting point - yep it probably should have new lines on it...

for example ?

You're welcome trellheim. :rolleyes:

Murphaph - yes -good pic that's a rarity

not being pedantic to you kida.

just interested. the 2 inbound RHS lanes get full with traffic spinning the 180 to get to Kilmainham.

The left hand lane needs to be kept free for traffic progressing.. but yes it's only 100m - interesting point - yep it probably should have new lines on it...

I stand corrected but I thought only 1 lane went right for Kilminham

• Advertisement

ah but the RHS lane fills so people squash into the next lane [ the middle ] while turning, so blocking the middle lane.

Advertisement