Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ex stole my car!

Options
  • 24-04-2015 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Myself and my husband have been non legally separated for over three years. I bought the car. It's in my name. I tax and insure it. Although I'm a named driver on his insurance but I have receipt to show I paid. For two years he was gone. Car and kids mine. Then I relapsed..alcohol.
    While I went into treatment and a few weeks after I agreed to let him move in and use car for kids.
    Now I'm well. Ready to go back to work Next week. He won't move out. And won't give me my keys. He has my family and his backing him as they don't trust me I suppose. But I have to work. What can I do? I'm at my wits end. ...but sober..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 miasma

deandean wrote: »
    What car is it?

Does that matter? I just want it back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Pour yourself a vodka love and it'll be all right!

Mod note: user banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 miasma

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Pour yourself a vodka love and it'll be all right!

100% ignorance. 0% wit. Get a life .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

God bless more imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

None of what you said is relevant to what you want to achieve. None of it matters. He's driving the car now. You'll have to step back and take a breath.

Focus on your health and realise it is a family home, not just yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

myshirt wrote: »
    None of what you said is relevant to what you want to achieve. None of it matters. He's driving the car now. You'll have to step back and take a breath.

Focus on your health and realise it is a family home, not just yours.

First off... no

Secondly you'd be better off in another forum I'd say. I'd avoid after hours personally but maybe the relationship advice or whatever its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

miasma wrote: »
    100% ignorance. 0% wit. Get a life .

You do find juvenile ar5eholes on this site from time to time, although they don't usually stoop that low. Bad luck to meet such a cnutish attitude on your first thread.

Focus on consolidating your sobriety. Your kids are being looked after, and for the moment, a car is just a car.

Edit: I see the poster in question seems to post loads in the Liveline threads. I think it's safe to say that their opinion on any topic can be safely disregarded without worrying about any insight and wisdom being missed... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

without getting too much into the details of why he's done it, at the end of the day its YOUR car, not his and you need it to get to work now that you are back on your feet. if he wants a car he can get his own.

give him the simple choice, either he gives you back YOUR car, or you remove your permission for him to drive it and remove his name from the insurance (assuming he's a named driver) and then report it stolen. he doesn't have your permission to drive the car, therefore he is taking the vehicle without the owners consent, which in the eyes of the law is no different than stealing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

vibe666 wrote: »
    without getting too much into the details of why he's done it, at the end of the day its YOUR car, not his and you need it to get to work now that you are back on your feet. if he wants a car he can get his own.

give him the simple choice, either he gives you back YOUR car, or you remove your permission for him to drive it and remove his name from the insurance (assuming he's a named driver) and then report it stolen. he doesn't have your permission to drive the car, therefore he is taking the vehicle without the owners consent, which in the eyes of the law is no different than stealing it.

Ah you can't just report the car stolen. It's clearly not stolen.

However don't take my word ask A cop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

miasma wrote: »
    I bought the car. It's in my name. I tax and insure it. Although I'm a named driver on his insurance but I have receipt to show I paid.

Sorry about the bit of bother you find yourself in and hopefully everything is sorted out soon.

I always thought that the car could only be insured by whoever is on the logbook, but you're saying it's his insurance and you are the named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Sorry about the bit of bother you find yourself in and hopefully everything is sorted out soon.

I always thought that the car could only be insured by whoever is on the logbook, but you're saying it's his insurance and you are the named driver.

Nope. My car is in other halfs name due to finance but insured in mine. Most insurance companies will allow this if you are spouse/common law etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Limbo123 wrote: »
    Nope. My car is in other halfs name due to finance but insured in mine. Most insurance companies will allow this if you are spouse/common law etc

That might come in handy sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

If the car is registered in your name and he's using it without your consent then there could be an offence of unauthorised taking of an MPV contrary to section 112, road traffic act 1961.

However, if hes insured on the car it could be used as a successful defence in court as it may be seen that there is implied consent for him to use it.

A mod really needs to move this to the appropriate forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Soc > Legal Discussions forum is usually good for stuff like this OP, I would try there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Zambia wrote: »
    Ah you can't just report the car stolen. It's clearly not stolen.

However don't take my word ask A cop.

it has been taken without her consent and he won't give it back. pretty much the very definition of stealing isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is clearly a bigger issue than the car.
    I suggest you try Legal Discussion or Personal Issues forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement