Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Given Kenny's interviews of recent i doubt Carroll is going anywhere unless he's asking to be moved on.

Like you ever get anything of substance out of a Kenny interview lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Like you ever get anything of substance out of a Kenny interview lol
    True that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

carroll to spurs and cavani to pool would be ok I guess although I don't rate Cavani as highly as most

possibly we'd only get Lennon + a few million or Pav + a few million for Carroll or maybe Pav+Lennon for Carroll + a few million, Pienaar and Krancjar also possibilities and Defoe is liked by Pool so could also be

Defoe+1 of Pienaar/Krancjar for Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

donfers wrote: »
    carroll to spurs and cavani to pool would be ok I guess although I don't rate Cavani as highly as most

possibly we'd only get Lennon + a few million or Pav + a few million for Carroll or maybe Pav+Lennon for Carroll + a few million, Pienaar and Krancjar also possibilities and Defoe is liked by Pool so could also be

Defoe+1 of Pienaar/Krancjar for Carroll
    You would get at most Pav for Carroll certainly wouldn't get a few million with that though maybe Pieenar and a few million to be honest would be a terrible transfer for us would end up like Dos Santos to eager to party than and drink then play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

You would get at most Pav for Carroll certainly wouldn't get a few million with that though maybe Pieenar and a few million to be honest would be a terrible transfer for us would end up like Dos Santos to eager to party than and drink then play.

Pav is 30 now? I doubt a straight swap would be on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Barrett supposedly going to have a story on Carroll in The Times tomorrow. Rumour that it is about Spurs are already in talks with us to buy Andy.

Edit - If true we must have a replacement lined up ?

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Barrett supposedly going to have a story on Carroll in The Times tomorrow. Rumour that it is about Spurs are already in talks with us to buy Andy.

Opr

Rumour is 18 million plus add ons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

amiable wrote: »
    hope its not true , i would be more than happy to see him with us till the summer at least.

amiable wrote: »

It may turn out to be bollox but I would take that. In fairness they are much better setup to utilise Andy's strengths.

Opr

Opr

I'd imagine that would be the case. Is the transfer window about to kickstart?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Strange if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

It may turn out to be bollox but I would take that. In fairness they are much better setup to utilise Andy's strengths.

Opr
    I'd be demanding Spurs pay £15m more than Napoli are looking for Cavani.

Seriously though, I'd bite their hand off, but doubt there's anything to it.

:rolleyes:
    Tomorrow's Times article on Andy Carroll by Tony Barrett:

Andy Carroll remains adamant that he has no intention of leaving Liverpool despite having been linked with a move away for the second time during the January transfer window.

Little more than a fortnight after it was claimed that Newcastle United, his former club, had raised the possibility of taking the forward back, it was reported that Carroll had been offered to Manchester City in a straight swap for Carlos Tévez.

Liverpool dismissed both stories out of hand, responding to the link to City with a statement insisting that “it is fundamentally and categorically just not true”.

But the suspicion that someone acting on behalf of the club, or claiming to do so without the necessary authority, is offering Carroll to potential buyers was strengthened by the suggestion that Brian Marwood, City’s football administrator, had turned down the proposed swap deal.

Kenny Dalglish continues to back the 23-year-old publicly despite Carroll having scored only six goals in the 35 games he has played for Liverpool since joining in a club-record £35 million deal on transfer deadline day last January.

The Liverpool manager’s faith was rewarded on Saturday, to an extent at least, as the England forward played a key role in the 2-1 win over Manchester United.

But even Carroll himself conceded that improvement is required if he is to win a regular place in Dalglish’s side.

“I think I’m just getting into my stride now,” Carroll said after setting up the goal for Dirk Kuyt that settled the FA Cup fourth-round tie. “Everyone is getting used to how I play and I’m getting used to everyone else. I love it here.”

“I thought I did well [against United] but now I’ve just got to keep on going and keep working on it and then it will come. I thought everyone played well. We all put a shift in and we got the goal that we wanted at the end. We deserved the win.

“Obviously it was nice to get an assist but it doesn’t really matter who sets them up or who scores them as long as we get through and we did that.”

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Opr

Well that's far more reliable than Taylor. Spurs were reported to have been interested last year as well so there could be something to it. Long Term replacement for Adebayor?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Spurs not even mentioned in that article, funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Carroll will be linked with anyone and everyone by Tuesday night. This time tomorrow he will be off to Villa in a swap for Bent again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Can someone explain to me how a club who have not made a profit in years can afford to add:

Torres, Luiz, Cahill, Mata and now possibly Hazard and still comply with Financial Fair Play regulations. It makes a mockery of the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

As I understand it it has not properly kicked in yet. Is it this season that we will start to see it being fully implemented before the clubs find ways to circumvent it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Can someone explain to me how a club who have not made a profit in years can afford to add:

Torres, Luiz, Cahill, Mata and now possibly Hazard and still comply with Financial Fair Play regulations. It makes a mockery of the whole thing.

They have spent 145 mil in 12 months and recouped fk all apart from wages (maybe). Add Lukaku and Meireles to the list ^^^^

Edit. And i dont believe last Jan window is inc in FFPR, thats why it got a bit silly near the end of window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Telegraph had a piece on it last week, reporting about a UEFA meeting on it. I can see a soft approach at the start but harsher penalties if clubs aren't making efforts to toe the line:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/9039696/Uefa-threatens-to-ban-clubs-from-Champions-League-if-new-financial-rules-are-flouted.html

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Oh dear. I doubt Spurs are going to spunk that amount of money on a pub footballer in Carroll.

The only way it happens is if Harry stands to make a tidy profit through the transfer, I don't see him signing this clown of a 'footballer' otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Oh dear. I doubt Spurs are going to spunk that amount of money on a pub footballer in Carroll.

The only way it happens is if Harry stands to make a tidy profit through the transfer, I don't see him signing this clown of a 'footballer' otherwise.

Harry found guilty was he? :rolleyes:

monkey9 wrote: »
    Harry found guilty was he? :rolleyes:

Not that I know of, why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Brighton, Tough, A Team than begins with B
    Usual story
    Glad its not Chelsea away, They would be stiff opposition ,
    Even stiffer opposition when John Terry plays,

Next round could be interesting,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Did Andy Carroll cheat on you Willy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If spurs offer 18m for Carroll we should bite their hands off.

Tusky wrote: »
    If spurs offer 18m for Carroll we should bite their hands off.
    Yeah because that makes sense, selling a player we have just paid 35 million for for half that. Kenny will continue working with him and we will start seeing some of what we paid for, was not long ago people were writing off Lucas either.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Did Andy Carroll cheat on you Willy?

No Turty. I just find the thought of Spurs offering that much for a pub footballer amusing, if there's any truth to it that is.

Yeah because that makes sense, selling a player we have just paid 35 million for for half that. Kenny will continue working with him and we will start seeing some of what we paid for, was not long ago people were writing off Lucas either.

Oh would you stop. Lucas showed some promise. He had the raw ability to become a very good player.

Big Andy is slow, immobile, has a poor first touch and is an unmitigated disaster.

He isn't going to get much better. Pool should be biting the hands off clubs willing to pay upwards of 10 mill for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think the Alan Hansen interview that came out Friday/Saturday/Sunday (not sure which day) may have let something slip regarding Carroll.

There was a little line from Hansen about how Kenny was looking at Carroll and drip feeding him game time until he was sure that he did not think Carroll would improve/fit in to a large degree.

Given how close Dalglish and Hansen are, it could be something that slipped out from Hansen after a chat with Kenny, or it could be something that was leaked on purpose to either give the player a kick in the arse or to let others know he was for sale without anyone from the club saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

No Turty. I just find the thought of Spurs offering that much for a pub footballer amusing, if there's any truth to it that is.

You must have cracked a rib when you found out Chelsea were paying 50m for Torres so ;)

Found what he said.

Liverpool paid £35m to sign Andy Carroll and I recall him looking unplayable when he scored Newcastle's winner at Arsenal last season. He was unbeatable in the air and quick on the deck.

He was injured when he arrived at Liverpool, has struggled not only for confidence but also touch and is not leaving anyone for dead any more. Others will know whether it is a question of fitness or confidence, but Dalglish was right to keep playing him until it became clear he was not getting any better and left him out against City.

Everyone will be working and supporting him behind the scenes to try and find that elusive form he showed on Tyneside, but there is no getting away from the fact that Liverpool look a better team without him.

Knex. wrote: »
    You must have cracked a rib when you found out Chelsea were paying 50m for Torres so ;)

At least there was some justification for that transfer. Torres has class about him and has a proven track record.

Big Andy had a few months in the EPL where he played above himself and scored a few goals.

Go figure at which transfer made more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

At least there was some justification for that transfer. Torres has class about him and has a proven track record.

Big Andy had a few months in the EPL where he played above himself and scored a few goals.

I'm still gutted we didn't resign Heskey really.

And yet which meant more sense 12 months again has turned out to mean squat.

You laugh at Liverpool for paying £35m for Carroll, others laugh at Chelsea for spending £50m on Torres.

No matter how you look at it each club spent massive money on a player who 12 months later have a level of goal threat to rival that of Helen Keller.

• Advertisement

Carroll will come good lads. Willy thinks he's sh!t so it's only a matter of time.

Keller is available on a free in June, btw.

SIGN HER UP KENNY!

Keller is available on a free in June, btw.

SIGN HER UP KENNY!

Sure you don't mean dig her up? :D:p

Kess73 wrote: »
    And yet which meant more sense 12 months again has turned out to mean squat.

You laugh at Liverpool for paying £35m for Carroll, others laugh at Chelsea for spending £50m on Torres.

No matter how you look at it each club spent massive money on a player who 12 months later have a level of goal threat to rival that of Helen Keller.

At the end of it all you're right.

I still hold hope of Torres coming good though. If I was a pool fan, I'd genuinely be hoping Carroll would be moved on.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Sure you don't mean dig her up? :D:p
    I'm disappointed Kess, you're far too quick to write her off. She may have her off (or under) the field problems, but I think the King can get the best out of her :D

• Advertisement

If I was a pool fan, I'd genuinely be hoping Carroll would be moved on.
    If you were a Pool fan, you wouldn't be in this thread as much ;)

Oh would you stop. Lucas showed some promise. He had the raw ability to become a very good player.

Big Andy is slow, immobile, has a poor first touch and is an unmitigated disaster.

He isn't going to get much better. Pool should be biting the hands off clubs willing to pay upwards of 10 mill for him.

Look back over the Liverpool thread a season and a half ago and you will see that there was not many who saw any potential in him. Carroll has not been an unmitigated disaster, he is only now in his first full season in the club and while he has not banged them in like we hoped he would, we have not exactly been playing to his strengths either.

danremedios Daniel Remedios
    The Times are reporting that Steven Gerrard was substituted against Manchester United as a result of a hamstring injury. Doubt for Wolves.

:(

Opr

The Times are reporting that Steven Gerrard was substituted against Manchester United as a result of a hamstring injury. Doubt for Wolves.

Opr
    Jesus that's awful news, he has been great for us since he came back. And was really looking forward to him linking up with Suarez.

Ah that's disappointing alright :(

Look back over the Liverpool thread a season and a half ago and you will see that there was not many who saw any potential in him. Carroll has not been an unmitigated disaster, he is only now in his first full season in the club and while he has not banged them in like we hoped he would, we have not exactly been playing to his strengths either.

OK so. Do you genuinely believe that Carroll will ever be good enough for Liverpool? He has had one flash in the pan season in the Championship, followed by a few good months in the EPL. He is a player that should be playing with Stoke or Bolton. That's his level, and that will never change IMO.

Big Andy will go down as the most disastrous signing in British footballing history and will always be the biggest black mark against Kenny's managerial career.

I honestly still can't believe he sanctioned £35m on that walking disaster, it really does boggle the mind.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Opr

Similar team starting at the weekend then against Wolves I expect, except Bellamy and Adam replacing Carragher and Gerrard then.

OK so. Do you genuinely believe that Carroll will ever be good enough for Liverpool? He has had one flash in the pan season in the Championship, followed by a few good months in the EPL. He is a player that should be playing with Stoke or Bolton. That's his level, and that will never change IMO.

Big Andy will go down as the most disastrous signing in British footballing history and will always be the biggest black mark against Kenny's managerial career.

I honestly still can't believe he sanctioned £35m on that walking disaster, it really does boggle the mind.

Alongside Torres?? Shevchenko??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

lads if you dont engage with him he will surely piss off

lets just give it a try

pleasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee

monkey9 wrote: »
    Alongside Torres?? Shevchenko??

Shevchenko yes. He was a disaster and a terrible signing, which Mourinho didn't even want. Roman truly screwed up the balance of our team with that one, and he was past it anyway.

I still hold some hope for Torres, he shows flashes of quality unlike Carroll who has shown about as much as Kevin Davies has done over the last few seasons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement