Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me choose a new motor

• 26-07-2010 11:17pm

On the look for a new car to replace my Alfa 156, have had it a couple of years now and fancy a change.

Im 27 and I want is something sporty and nice to look at. I have a max of 6k, but that doesnt mean I want to spend 6k. Id be happy buying something for a grand or 2 if it was a nice car.

What I really want is an RX8, but I think its just outside my budget and I dont know if I could afford to run it given its eriously low mpg.

So, what im thinking about at the moment are the following (in no particular order):

An IS200

A Celica (Would go for the newer model with the VVTLi engine, I especially love the Tsport) http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1418750

one of these :)http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1390277

A Seat Leon Cupra (although I dont think they're within my budget)

A DC5 Integra (non Type R) eg http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1110993

Thoughts and any other ideas would be appreciated...tough decision!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

LOL:D, everyone of the cars you listed are total scobe mobiles. I hope you like being pulled over by the Guards at least twice a week!:rolleyes: The IS200 is a thirsty beast, heavy on the pocket for tax and fuel!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

MK4 GTI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jock101 wrote: »
    LOL:D, everyone of the cars you listed are total scobe mobiles. I hope you like being pulled over by the Guards at least twice a week!:rolleyes:

None of them even come close.

Mascher,

Scratch off the IS200 if your worried about fuel cost's, they are underpowered and love drinking petrol, I also think they've aged quite badly. But they do have good points, its a semi decent rwd saloon with a bit of comfort.

A non type R DC5 is a bit pointless too, you'll always wish that you had the type R and you wont have a huge market base when it comes to selling it on as DC5 Type R's dont actually cost much more.

I reckon you would get a Leon Cupra (not the latest version) in budget but they are very hard to find, they are very very nice cars and the best of what you've listed if you could find one.

The Celica is also a very nice car and great bang for your buck, the 190 version is the one to go for and if you can get one in budget you should really consider it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

If you could stretch your budget a wee bit more you might be able to get this for €6.5k depending on your bargaining skills!:pac:

EDIT: Which is a excellent car btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1458359 You know you want another alfa deep down:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

if he doesn't want that, i think I'll have it tbh.

Lads some great suggestions there.

An Alfa GT for 5k, tbh i never even considered them as i believed they would be well over budget. My one gripe is that i owned a 147 for a couple of years and the GT interitor is the exact same, tbh they're pretty similar cars looks wise...i think id like soemthing completly different.

That Cupra is one serious car and exactly what I want. I dont think i could strech to what hes asking though....but i may look into it....

i agree with you Draffox, the 190bhp Celica could be the way to go, serious amount of car for the money and I could certainly find a decent 190bhp witihn my budget.

keep the suggestions coming, i bought my last few cars from threads like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

How about something like this, not this exact one, but a nicer one:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1239315

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hawksuil

Ya id reccmmend the octavia vrs aswell... 170 BHP.. savage car!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

FTO GPvR

Do it! OP, i had an is200 not too long ago, and it was probably my most hated car. It sounded nice, 4 doors was handy, and i thought it looked good, but it had no other pros. I sold it after a few weeks. This is roughly the same performance wise as the Celica VVTLi, but looks better (subjective of course), and is much more rare. I've always wanted one, and I bought an 95 FTO GPX a few weeks back, and i LOVE it! the only problem with it is, that insurance companies just don't want to know about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Dont bother with a non-Type R DC5; if youre going to go down the road of an Integra look for a Type R DC2, take your time and try and find one that is clean and free from mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

ottostreet wrote: »
    FTO GPvR

Do it! OP, i had an is200 not too long ago, and it was probably my most hated car. It sounded nice, 4 doors was handy, and i thought it looked good, but it had no other pros. I sold it after a few weeks. This is roughly the same performance wise as the Celica VVTLi, but looks better (subjective of course), and is much more rare. I've always wanted one, and I bought an 95 FTO GPX a few weeks back, and i LOVE it! the only problem with it is, that insurance companies just don't want to know about it.

I have found it is very hard, near impossible, to get a quote on an FTO for some reason. Even companies that would quote me on the Integra wouldnt touch the FTO.

djimi wrote: »
    I have found it is very hard, near impossible, to get a quote on an FTO for some reason. Even companies that would quote me on the Integra wouldnt touch the FTO.

don't i know. underwriting department at FBD actually WROTE to me to inform me of the procedure in order to 'evaluate' whether they can offer me a renewal. I'll 99% have to go to Quinn at renewal time in 3 weeks.

Am Octavia VRS is out of the question...i hate them. I hate the look of them, it looks like its trying to hard. I hate the drive of the Octavia (had to drive one from Wexford to Louth and i hated every minute of it) so i wont even consider an Octavia.

The FTO looks intresting, but its just a bit much. Id prefer somethign a little more subtle.

The Volvo...I think they're to rare to find a nice one. And my budget wouldnt strech to the newer model. i think the older model has really aged.

I think i'll cross the IS200 of the list...after having a look at one it just doesnt do anything for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

guys, sorry to jump in on this, but what is the general consensus on alpha's?
    I have been told some differing opinions, with a good few people saying they can be troublesome and if you do have any problems it is expensive to get parts etc....
    have seen a lovely 146 2002 - really like this car, my heart says yes, but the nay sayers have filled me with doubts....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

alpha's are man cars. Alfa's are cool cars.:)

OP,
    I would go with the Celica - best value for money. Volvo is a sleeper alright but still a Volvo.....

I'll get my coat.....

I have been told some differing opinions, with a good few people saying they can be troublesome and if you do have any problems it is expensive to get parts etc....
    have seen a lovely 146 2002 - really like this car, my heart says yes, but the nay sayers have filled me with doubts....

Its spelt Alfa! Your not allowed own one if you cant spell it right :D

Ive had a 147 and a 156 and loved both of them. get the services done on time and the timing belts changed on time and they're grand. They can have little annoying problems that are usually easy enough to fix though.

Have a search here for Alfa threads, theres loads of them

Its spelt Alfa! Your not allowed own one if you cant spell it right :D

damn spell check! it's automatic cos of work - didn't even really register, just hit change!

Hey OP have you considered an E36 M3? This may be woth checking out if you can stomach the circa €1600/year tax! Its a very highly regarded car.

If that doesnt float your boat how bout a S14a/200sx ? Look for a UK spec (200sx) one as it usually comes with leather and is kinder on insurance (The S14a is the jap import and can be more expensive to insure). Its recommended to get one that has had a few engine upgrades, perferably by enthusiasts as they know what there doing, as the standard engine puts out about 200bhp but with a few mods can easily see 250-300bhp.
    If your interested in the 200sx I'd highly recommend checking out www.sxoc.com, the lads there really know their stuff.

By the way the 200sx in the link I provided is not a very good example, it was just to show you what they look like if you didnt know. Theres plenty of better examples for sale over on sxoc.

• Advertisement

martydunf wrote: »
    Hey OP have you considered an E36 M3? This may be woth checking out if you can stomach the circa €1600/year tax! Its a very highly regarded car.

If that doesnt float your boat how bout a S14a/200sx ? Look for a UK spec (200sx) one as it usually comes with leather and is kinder on insurance (The S14a is the jap import and can be more expensive to insure). Its recommended to get one that has had a few engine upgrades, perferably by enthusiasts as they know what there doing, as the standard engine puts out about 200bhp but with a few mods can easily see 250-300bhp.
    If your interested in the 200sx I'd highly recommend checking out www.sxoc.com, the lads there really know their stuff.

By the way the 200sx in the link I provided is not a very good example, it was just to show you what they look like if you didnt know. Theres plenty of better examples for sale over on sxoc.

An E36 M3 would be deadly, the only problem is finding a very good, clean one. The M3 Evo's were notorious for VANOS failure as well, while the earlier ones are supposed to be a lot more reliable, and if I was in the market for one, they'd be the ones I'd be looking at.
    1994 BMW M3 3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Go for it. Like Mascher said, if you treat it right there won't be any trouble..............just quirks:D

mooman wrote: »
    Go for it. Like Mascher said, if you treat it right there won't be any trouble..............just quirks:D

thanks, but EVERY mechanic I have spoken to was filled with abject horror when I mentioned an alfa :(

so given that all of them would refuse to service or repair it, it would be too costly for me to maintain if any "quirks" did appear.....

ah well, the search continues.......

Ye maybe without a bit of car knowledge buying an Alfa isnt a great idea...

Anyway im considering a Focus ST170. Are they a decent motor?

Ye maybe without a bit of car knowledge buying an Alfa isnt a great idea...

Anyway im considering a Focus ST170. Are they a decent motor?

DraffodX on here has the newer one, maybe PM and ask him bout them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

jock101 wrote: »
    LOL:D, everyone of the cars you listed are total scobe mobiles. I hope you like being pulled over by the Guards at least twice a week!:rolleyes: The IS200 is a thirsty beast, heavy on the pocket for tax and fuel!:cool:

I presume your not including the Alfa GTV in your list of "scobe mobiles".

Its one of the most beautiful machines ever created. You'd want it with a V6 though if you were to buy one. Not nice on fuel but the sound. Fantastic.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=ALFA+ROMEO&min_pr=75&source=0&model=GTV&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=bt3+9jp&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=V6&ukcarsearch_full.x=0&ukcarsearch_full.y=0&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=7&distance=175&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=201029364209257

I would love a Alfa GT, but as i said they are way to similar to the 147 and 156 which are my current and previous cars. I want something different, otherwise that would fit the bill perfect.

At the moment the BMW 330ci, Focus ST170 and Tsport Celica are top of my list. Im finding it hard to find out info on the 330ci though, are they are good motor? Cant find any previous threads on them here.

As for the Alfa GTV, as much as I love them, i just cant see myself driving one...

Advertisement