Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor Insurance Bureau Ireland

• 28-08-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Has anybody had any dealings with MIBI. I ws recently victim of somebody crashing into me and driving off. I thought I had regestration number but it seems not, it was my friend that got the number or thought he had. It is under investiagion by the Gardai for the last 2 weeks but it dosent seem to be high of importance for them at the moment. Waht I want to know is how do the MIBI compensate you in this case. The damage to my car is 850 euro. Would they pay out full amount or maybe even nothing at all?. The cctv should be able to pick up the reg no from the other car but just in case they cant, or in case it gets wiped, as it has been nearly 2 weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You only go to the MIBI if the driver isn't insured. If you get a reg, you need to get the Gardai to follow up and find out if they're insured in which case you're claiming of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

Itsnt the point of the MIBI also to do with unidentified vechicles also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

brigadear wrote: »
    Itsnt the point of the MIBI also to do with unidentified vechicles also.

I'm pretty sure you need a registration number for the offending vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You are correct, the MIBI will write to the registered address for the vehicle (if insurer cannot be identified) to seek insurance details - they will not be incredibly active in this so wouldn't sit back.

Have you tried a search on www.mywheels.ie to see if you have the correct registration or not - I know it is not intended for this purpose but at least you will know if the registration number you have given to Garda matches the type and colour of vehicle you think it is.

Keep the pressure on Garda, they are best bet to get you the insurance details (or formal confirmation there is no insurance).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I presume you have read the information on the MIBI website?

It appears that if the vehicle is untraced (i.e. incorrect registration) then you will not be able to claim for damages - the logic of this is to prevent claims for self inflicted damages being blamed on untraced third party motorists!

MIBI suggest to claim from one's own policy if comprehensive and NCB should be unaffected - perhaps this is a better route.

"Property Damage Claims:
    It is not always possible to claim compensation for vehicle or property damage under the MIBI compensation scheme. Where the offending vehicle is not identified there is no provision in the 1988 or the 2004 MIBI Agreements to recover losses for vehicle or property damage. The 2009 Agreement introduced compensation for vehicle or property damage against an unidentified vehicle where there are significant personal injuries arising from the same accident. See clause 7 of the 2009 agreement for comprehensive details off the scheme for Property Damage compensation
    There is a time-limit of one year from the accident date in which to apply for compensation for vehicle and property damage under the 1988 and 2004 MIBI Agreements.
    As stated above the time limit for vehicle and property damage claims under the 2009 MIBI Agreement is in line with Irish statutory provisions.
    There are excesses applicable to property damage claims.
    Where the damaged vehicle is comprehensively insured or the damaged property is covered under a policy of insurance, the Agreement stipulates that the claim must be dealt with by the insurer of the vehicle or property.
    There is a Protocol in place between MIBI and all companies writing motor insurance here which guarantees protection of the No Claims Bonus where the comprehensive insurer compensates the policyholder on behalf of MIBI.
    This Protocol ensures a speedy resolution of the claim and avoids delay in having the vehicle repaired.

For full details of the provisions of the Agreement and the Conditions Precedent to making a claim in respect of an accident on or before the 29th January 2009
    click here to download the MIBI Agreement.

For full details of the provisions of the Agreement and the Conditions Precedent to making a claim in respect of an accident from the 30th January 2009 click here to download the MIBI Agreement."

• Advertisement
Advertisement