Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B5 Passat advice

• 04-09-2015 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

With the mileage I'm going to be doing soon I'll be looking to pick up a diesel over the next few weeks. With my budget that I have I was thinking of looking into a B5 pasat 130bhp model.

Is there anything to look out for with these engines?

Going for the 130bhp, I would be hoping for a 6 speed gearbox. Has anyone any feedback from them in comparison with a 5 speed. Never driven diesel before so I'm not 100% on what they drive like.

Also I've noticed there is not a huge selection of the 130bhp models. Would there be a huge difference in the power if I was to go for a 100bhp model instead?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a noticeable difference between the 100bhp and 130bhp engines. From what I know the 5 speed gearbox is more reliable than the 6 speed. Just make sure you are actually looking at a 130bhp car as many of the 100bhp have been remapped or rebadged. I'd say your main problem will be trying to find a clean one that hasn't been dogged or driven through the front window of Halfords. Newest models are 10 years old at this stage and they are popular with the felters just like the A4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just make sure you are actually looking at a 130bhp car as many of the 100bhp have been remapped or rebadged.

Is there a way to tell from the inspection? I'm assuming they're different engines. Ran a few reg plates through motor check and it doesn't give you the power just that its a 1.9 TDI. I don't really want to have to go off of a red DI on the back of the car they're easy to change.

130bhp version has larger injectors, turbo intercooler, etc. There is usually a label either on the inside of the fuel filler cap, the boot or driver's door that lists the power either in bhp or kw.

100bhp = 74kw
    130bhp = 96kw

It may also be listed on the log book. Googling the engine number (not the car's VIN) may tell you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Fairly bullet proof engines but clutch, flywheel & gearbox can give issues as with all modern diesel cars. Suspension arms also wear quickly.

Great value for money but at the very minimum get a Comfortline model. Highline or Sport if your budget can stretch a bit. Baseline seats are like plywood, Comfort & Highline are like sofas :D

Also, theres a plate in the boot that states the power in kW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Cool thanks lads any of the 130bhps I've been looking at on done deal have been high lines or comfort lines. Seems like there's really good value ones out there going to start going and looking at the cars physically during the week, don't really need to jump on anything there's loads out there!

• Advertisement

Lots of the highline models tend to be imports, take anything with low mileage with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lots of the highline models tend to be imports, take anything with low mileage with a pinch of salt.

Most Passats tend to be imports, don't see why it matters? :confused:

millington wrote: »
    Most Passats tend to be imports, don't see why it matters? :confused:

UK imports so if you want to be a bit more anal about it. My point is that these cars hide high mileage very well and to be wary of anything with low mileage. They can tend to get a hair cut a few years after being brought over here and their service histories go missing. It can be financially rewarding to clock them as low mileage examples fetch more money.

Advertisement