Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To buy a current blu-ray player or wait for 4K players to drop in price?

• 17-08-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I've been pondering over this for a while.

Knowing blu-ray players are relatively cheap now compared to years back I'm considering getting one. Likewise, I've seen plenty of blu-rays which fall within the same price range as their DVD counterparts if a few euro more.

Reason is because, as a film fan I love the idea of being able to own classics in pristine clarity, and hopefully setting up a home theatre system (when I can afford it).

I have a 32", its going to be a while until I get a larger TV because I'm starting my masters in a month and as such funds are tight.

Considering 4K Blu-ray players will be out later this year is buying a current player worth it now? Will standard blu-rays play on a 4K blu-ray player? How long will it take for 4K players to drop in price? I'm guessing a year or so depending on how well they are marketed.

Thanks,
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Go for blu ray and try to get a multi region player aswell so you can import american discs

4k I would wait to see what is released on it first and how it is supported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

No reason for you to get a 4k blu ray player and 4k blu rays when you don't have a 4K TV your wasting your money buying one.

Heres a crazy thing for you to do is spend your money on a 2nd hand PS3 witch you should get for the price of a blu ray player and you will have netflix, cheap video games and a blu ray player for about 100 euros thats what i would be doing.

I would be one to say pick up a cheap 2nd hand PS3 and use it as your Blu Ray player as thats what i would do myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Thanks all for the replies.

I was actually going to ask about multi-region players. Can I get one anywhere in Dublin (preferably in city centre)?

Think I'll just get a regular blu-ray player. I appreciate the suggestion of a PS3 but I'm not a gamer and I have Netflix so I'm not sure if it would add anything more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

karaokeman wrote: »

I was actually going to ask about multi-region players. Can I get one anywhere in Dublin (preferably in city centre)?

Think I'll just get a regular blu-ray player. I appreciate the suggestion of a PS3 but I'm not a gamer and I have Netflix so I'm not sure if it would add anything more.

Multi region blu ray players are impossible to get in store, over here at least.

I bought one through eBay recently.

It was a brand new Toshiba one but the seller modded it so that you can change between regions when you want using the remote. It also plays all region DVDs out of the box.

It cost me €230 incl delivery from the uk, I had it in 3 days after buying.

Works perfectly.

On mobile but will post a link to the sellers store later on.

Ugh, that price is steep especially considering the fact most of the blu-rays I'll be buying are ones that tend to be released here.

I'm assuming blu-ray players regions can be unlocked, similar to DVD players?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

nope, nothing like dvd players unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

If you have Netflix that's surely a reason to buy the PS3, plus you get All4, Sky Go, and the odd game if the mood takes you. Best value is in buying a PS3 and a Blu Ray remote Id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ugh, that price is steep especially considering the fact most of the blu-rays I'll be buying are ones that tend to be released here.

I'm assuming blu-ray players regions can be unlocked, similar to DVD players?

Its pricey alright but most of the blu's I have / want are not multi region or Ireland / UK. Companies like Grindhouse are putting out some brilliant editions of horror classics that I cannot live without!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

If you have Netflix that's surely a reason to buy the PS3, plus you get All4, Sky Go, and the odd game if the mood takes you. Best value is in buying a PS3 and a Blu Ray remote Id say.

Also can add the WWE Network, Spoity and the like to it as well. You can also play your films and music on it as well.

The PS3 for 100 euros is a better bargain then a blu ray player as it is basically a smart tv with gaming as you have a lot of apps that you will use.

The PS3 can also play 3D blu rays as well.

I am one for saying go for the games consoles before going for a stand alone blu ray player if you don't have one as there a bargain and 1/2 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can get new blu-ray players these days for €60, so unless you're going to use the PS3 for more than just a player, there's not much point. Forget about 4K for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you're not a gamer I wouldn't recommend the PS3. You're better off putting the money toward a good multi-region standalone player. I don't even use my PS3 for Netflix anymore. The constant updates are infuriating when you just want to watch a film.

Thank again for all the replies guys, really informative.

Would it be easy enough to make a standalone blu-ray player region free the same way you can with DVD players?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thank again for all the replies guys, really informative.

Would it be easy enough to make a standalone blu-ray player region free the same way you can with DVD players?

For DVD yes, usually. For Blu-ray, no. You'll probably need to get a player that's already been chipped/hacked. Generally not cheap. And you'll still have to manually switch between regions.

Thanks all, well I found a multi-region player for €214 (including shipping) which sounds like a good deal.

Will blu-rays look OK on a 32" though? Don't think I'll be able to afford a bigger TV for a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You should still notice a difference between DVD and Blu. I know there's a world of difference between SD and HD on my computer monitor.

Also worth noting most good Blu Rays will have superior transfers and restorations anyway. A lot of older DVDs really show their age these days, with iffy aspect ratios or poor origin prints. That's much rarer on Blu Ray, and would be noticeable regardless of the screen size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

At regular seating distances (10-12ft couch to TV) on a 42" TV you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p never mind 1080p and 4K. Heck you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on a 100" Home Theater projection screen. When can you tell the difference between 1080p and 4K then?? On a 30" 4K monitor on the desk 2ft in front of you.

Forget about 4K formats and content until such time as we're all watching our Movies in a Virtual Odean iMax on our 4K+ VR headsets. (5 years with Oculus Rift CV2 or CV3)

The above vid helps one understand the concept and while many will be happy enough with the PQ quality from the getgo, the number of pixels used by the virtual screen means the video content is only slightly above DVD quality. However when we get 4K + resolution panels in the second or third generation VR headsets, thats when there will be enough pixels actually making up the virtual screen that the apparent PQ starts approaching 1080p quality. Why is this so cool and why do I think it'll kill large screen TV's and Home Theater projectors. Its the sense of scale that a VR cinema can provide that nothing else can. The amount of my eyes field of view taken up by a screen is pretty much the same whether I am watching a movie on my 23" monitor from 24", my 42" TV from 8ft, my 100" Projection screen from 14ft or indeed a 60ft screen from 100ft in an actual cinema. Why then does my projection screen or the real cinema blow my monitor out of the water. The sense of scale of whats around the screen makes my brain find the cinema experience much more impressive than my monitor despite the fact that both screens fill the same FOV of my vision. In a VR Cinema, every movie I watch at home will 'feel' like I'm in the Odeon Leicester Square.

Advertisement