Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Martian (Ridley Scott)

• 27-05-2015 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/?ref_=nv_sr_1

During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive.

This looks like it could be good, a bit skeptical about Ridley Scott after the disaster Prometheus.

Also looks like it could be a spin-off of Interstellar :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Oh Christ! Matt Damon is in it - couldn't they have just left him behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Matt Damon's mole really annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Prometheus was deadly!

*runs away* :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Interesting cast there alright... Kate Mara, Jessica Chastain , Kristen Wiig, Sebastian Stan, Matt Damon, Sean Bean, Jeff Daniels, Donald Glover, Chiwetel Ejiofor, etc. Good mix of "vintage" and rising star actors.

I presume Sean Bean dies at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Bacchus wrote: »
    Interesting cast there alright... Kate Mara, Jessica Chastain , Kristen Wiig, Sebastian Stan, Matt Damon, Sean Bean, Jeff Daniels, Donald Glover, Chiwetel Ejiofor, etc. Good mix of "vintage" and rising star actors.

I presume Sean Bean dies at some point.

That would be a reliable assumption.

Looks like a really good cast. I'm also a sucker for movies set on Mars.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Prometheus was deadly!

*runs away* :pac:

I actually did enjoy it. Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't brilliant, but it certainly isn't tripe either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Has Damon Lindehoff anything to do with this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Enjoyed the book. Not so sure Damon is the right choice to pull off Watney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The book was great, so if this is even half as good, it'll be a great film (would be a ****e adaptation though so hopefully they do it justice)

I do think the casting is a bit weird with so much big names when the book revolves around one character, so reckon they'll make a mess of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

titan18 wrote: »
    I do think the casting is a bit weird with so much big names when the book revolves around one character, so reckon they'll make a mess of it.

I don't see that - large parts are going to be Matt Damon on his own, but we have his crewmates in their claustrophobic ship, and then we have NASA and mission control. Plenty of roles there, even filming the book line-by-line.

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    Has Damon Lindehoff anything to do with this ?

I see Drew Goddard is the screenplay author, not looking good, he was involved with World War Z and Cloverfield - 2 rubbish movies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I see Drew Goddard is the screenplay author, not looking good, he was involved with World War Z and Cloverfield - 2 rubbish movies..

Also the current Daredevil, which is not bad, The Cabin in the Woods, which was great, and lots of other Joss Whedon related stuff, which is a good sign for this movie.

Also the current Daredevil, which is not bad, The Cabin in the Woods, which was great, and lots of other Joss Whedon related stuff, which is a good sign for this movie.

Are you mental??...YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I don't see that - large parts are going to be Matt Damon on his own, but we have his crewmates in their claustrophobic ship, and then we have NASA and mission control. Plenty of roles there, even filming the book line-by-line.

Roles yes, but considering the people cast, they look like more than small roles. Hard to see someone like Jessica Chastain in a small role or Sean Bean, so I'm assuming they're making those roles bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/?ref_=nv_sr_1

During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive.

This looks like it could be good, a bit skeptical about Ridley Scott after the disaster Prometheus.

Also looks like it could be a spin-off of Interstellar :P

Listened to the audiobook on YouTube , great story, ends as expected but great story getting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I predict that Sean Beans character dies early in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

One thing about the book was the humour, it really sets it apart from other hard sci fi books.
    I think Matt Damon could really work as Watney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

(I loved this film as a kid) Hey, a Ridley-ised version of it sounds great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

a clip

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44533

I presume this is meant to be this cheesey, the 'computer expert', that german guy eating sausages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I presume this is meant to be this cheesey, the computer expert that german guy eating sausages?

Ha, yea.

"I am German"

*minute later*

"I am eating sausage"

That felt like some kind of parody of space films where they have that one foreign guy who does, like, foreign stuff. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Ha, yea.

"I am German"

*minute later*

"I am eating sausage"

That felt like some kind of parody of space films where they have that one foreign guy who does, like, foreign stuff. :pac:

They take the micky out of him in the book for being a total walking cliché/stereotype.

I really don't think that World War Z and Cloverfield were bad movies. They were fantastic examples of their genres - World War Z was a good zombie movie, but just didn't have much to do with the source, and Cloverfield was a good creature feature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Embedded trailer is below:the book is sitting in my to-read pile on my shelf; must get around to that!

I should point out it's a fairly 'spoiler' heavy trailer, in that it covers what feels like a lot of beats from the plot, so buyer beware n' all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Looks slick with that Scott-level of detail on the surrounding enviornments.

Did find it a bit funny that every shot of Kristen Wiig was of her doing a worried face.

Donald Glover is in this? Well, I'm sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

What a great success story for the author Andy Weir. This was originally self published on his website and later released as an ebook in 2011. It definitely reads a bit amateurish, which is part of its charm. 4 years later and he's got a Hollywood blockbuster.

Also a great success story for digital publishing at a time when the media is reporting the demise of eBook format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

...DAMN IT , i feel after watching the trailer , it has shown too much .

still interested

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

pixelburp wrote: »
    Embedded trailer is below:the book is sitting in my to-read pile on my shelf; must get around to that!

I should point out it's a fairly 'spoiler' heavy trailer, in that it covers what feels like a lot of beats from the plot, so buyer beware n' all that

"Fairly"?? Christ, I can't think of a single moment from the book that wasn't in that trailer, it's not as if the book was a hefty tome, it was a thin sliver of a book, with a large font.

One of the most disappointing trailers I've seen in quite some time, they could have done a lot more with the fact that he's stuck on Mars and left it at that. So disappointing. I always think that when a studio releases a trailer that shows most of the plot, they have no confidence in the premise itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

High hopes for this one. No way am I watching a 3 minute+ trailer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

No point going to it now, feel a saw everything from that trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

"I'm left with only one option, science the sh1t out of it"

I lol'd :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Jesus that has to be one of the most spoilery trailers I've ever seen. It basically showed the whole book.
    Donald Glover is in this? Well, I'm sold.

Troy & Abed saaaving Waaa-tney.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is the book as corny as the trailer makes this look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is the book as corny as the trailer makes this look?

Yes. There's a lot of similar humor, some of it a bit cringey but I like it in general. Really good book though, so looking forward to the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

wrt40 wrote: »
    What a great success story for the author Andy Weir.

Just to say, for anyone interested, there's a big piece on him over at Tested.

The Talking Room: Adam Savage Interviews Andy Weir
    By Joey Fameli on June 11, 2015

http://www.tested.com/art/530871-talking-room-adam-savage-interviews-andy-weir/

YouTube embed:

Release date got bumped up almost two months. :D
    Now releasing Oct 2.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/the-martian-release-date-victor-frankenstein/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's a new trailer out, but apparently it's as spoiler filled as the last one. Having read the book, makes no odds to me, but for anyone who wants to go in blind, or just expects a trailer to give you a taste, then avoid this.

EDIT: Just read back my post about the last trailer, haha, I think I've calmed down a bit over it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I've recently read the book so personally don't care but that trailer gives away a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

pah wrote: »

I like most Matt Damon movies, but that line was so cringe worthy.

Its totally put me off the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

pah wrote: »

thats the line that sealed by bro's interest in going to see this.

:D

i cant wait meself. look like alot of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Havnt read the book. Maybe I missed something spoilery in the trailer ?

But I'm sure it won't play out different to what I assume I'll be walking into.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Going by the trailer, there's a subtle change to Wattney's personal life:
    iirc, he's single in the book, yet the trailer seems to suggest he has a wife & child back on Earth. I don't know why but that kinda of annoys me a little: his plight is sufficiently tense as it is - who couldn't empathise with his situation? It's not like Wattney lacks incentive to get off a barren planet - yet Hollywood looks to be insisting on that hoary narrative cliché of the family unit as incentive.
    It's a small thing for sure, and I hope it's just the trailer lying through its teeth, but for some reason it irks me more than it should!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Going by the trailer, there's a subtle change to Wattney's personal life:
    iirc, he's single in the book, yet the trailer seems to suggest he has a wife & child back on Earth. I don't know why but that kinda of annoys me a little: his plight is sufficiently tense as it is - who couldn't empathise with his situation? It's not like Wattney lacks incentive to get off a barren planet - yet Hollywood looks to be insisting on that hoary narrative cliché of the family unit as incentive.
    It's a small thing for sure, and I hope it's just the trailer lying through its teeth, but for some reason it irks me more than it should!
    I was thinking that might have been Martinez's family that was shown on screen and was just the trailer spinning things differently like they often do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I loved the book, read it and listened to the audiobook while driving, the audiobook was more enjoyable.. Think the trailer looks awesome, how I'd pictured a lot of it.. Cant wait for the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

More about the Hermes Mission to Mars, courtesy of Neil DeGrasse Tyson:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

In Cinemas September 30th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ok so I went in as a big fan of the book and sceptical they could pull It off. But they nailed it. This film is awesome. There's a few moments where it feels like it's dragging but they cleverly remind you of the timescales involved in staging the stuff they have to do.
    Damon plays it perfectly. All the humour from the book is there and it works.
    And it looks ****in awesome! Didn't know we were gonna be seeing it in 3D but it worked better than any 3D I'd seen apart from avatar. Will definitely watch this again and recommend it.

Only saw one stupid sorta continuity thing but it was nothing. Go see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ps writing an entire film off cos of one line is about as valid as writing it off cos you don't like the actors haircut 😂😂

The line happens to work perfectly well within context.

• Advertisement
Advertisement