Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainwreck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I have had the "is she good looking" discussion with a friend but in relation to this film it's a bit sad that there has been just as many comments on that in here rather than the quality of the work which as others have said wouldn't be an issue if the genders were reversed. Fairly sure there was less made of Jonah Hill being paired with Emma Stone in Superbad like!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Saw it today, I pretty much agree, it's too long and disjointed in places. The final scene is a bit ridiculous too.
    The female reaction to guys not acting like jerks was great though, a great big "thank you" from all the decent guys.

That "intervention" group was a bit cringe though, I hate the basketball commentator (Marv? and his ridiculous wig) though he threw what appeared to be an ad libbed barb at Matthew Broderick (judging by Broderick's smirk).

Cena nailed it and I'm now off to watch more of Brie Larson!

It's a tad sad and ridiculous though for folk to complain about the standard of men she pulled, look at Hitch (King of Queens with the same actor), George Lopez's show, Everyone Loves Raymond it was always a better looking wife than the guy deserved and it's carried forward, Jonah Hill has gone from looking like and inflated airbed to a deflated airbed and is still paired up with knockout girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,351 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that this keeps coming up.

Welcome to every movie ever made, except with the genders reversed.

Take a guy like Seth Rogen. He's not bad-looking but a pretty average guy. He stars in movies opposite Katherine Heigl and Rose McGowan and it's not even up for debate whether that's believable or whether he is "worthy".

I hope Amy makes more films and stars opposite a lineup of increasingly ridiculous attractive men if it pisses people off so much. That's comedy right there.

Or Adam Sandler :p

I think Amy Schumer looks like Kathleen Turner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Pretty much anyone who says Amy Schumer couldn't pull those guys is
    • A: Sexist
    • B: Doesn't actually know how dating works
    • C: Doesn't understand how attraction works
    • D: Obviously didn't watch the first scene of the movie where it flicks through a bunch of sexual partners that represent the whole scale of attractiveness
    • E: Is incredibly petty about the things that make them dislike a film

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I thought the cameos from the non actors were very good. I thought the humour was pretty good, I am still kinda waiting for Mike Birbiglia to find his feet as an actor for screen, but it will happen.

I particularly enjoyed the quite obvious effort to avoid slapstick.
    Particularly during the scene where she is poorly dressed and he is giving a speech and she gets a call, another director would have had her trip up on the phone and reveal later that people were shocked because she wasn't wearing underwear, that would have annoyed me. Similarly the scene where he is to tired to do the surgery, another movie and he'd have done the surgery but ****ed up the hitting the knee with the hammer bit or something and it would have just been stupid and devalued the characters.

So generally enjoyed it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It was ok. Super predictable and stuff, but it was still funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It's around 20 minutes too long, has a couple of pointless scenes (wtf was that
    Matthew Broderick
    scene supposed to be?) but damn if this isn't Apatow's funniest and sweetest film since 40 Year Old Virgin. Had really soured on his films but this just might have me back on board. I think with Schumer he may have found a comic muse similar to Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig.

Also with this, Inside Out and Skeleton Twins Bill Hader is fast becoming one of my favorite comic actors working today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

e_e wrote: »
    It's around 20 minutes too long, has a couple of pointless scenes (wtf was that
    Matthew Broderick
    scene supposed to be?) but damn if this isn't Apatow's funniest and sweetest film since 40 Year Old Virgin. Had really soured on his films but this just might have me back on board. I think with Schumer he may have found a comic muse similar to Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig.

Also with this, Inside Out and Skeleton Twins Bill Hader is fast becoming one of my favorite comic actors working today.

I thought and still think Bill Hader deserves a major push as a comedy star, he's a lot funnier then the likes of Seth Rogen etc. I thought he did well in this, although his comedic value was a little under used. Fingers crossed he gets his big break soon.

I think its his sweetest and funniest film since 40 year old Virgin cause Apatow didn't have a thing to do with the writing of the film. Something that was a breath of fresh air, although his non use of editing down his films is still a problem. Comedies shouldn't be over 2 hours for me. A good example of that are the Gerwig/Baumbach films, short and snappy and no extra fat on those films.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

I think she's super hot. She's so refreshing compared to the generic model actresses with no charisma. Nothing more attractive than a hot funny woman. Disgusting that her looks are being brought up anyway. The chap that wrote she's not hot probably wrote it after 10 cans of red bull in his parents bedroom planning the next columbine because he can't come to terms with who he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

tony stark wrote: »
    I think she's super hot. She's so refreshing compared to the generic model actresses with no charisma. Nothing more attractive than a hot funny woman. Disgusting that her looks are being brought up anyway. The chap that wrote she's not hot probably wrote it after 10 cans of red bull in his parents bedroom planning the next columbine because he can't come to terms with who he is!

But that's the thing it's not always the hottest guys or girls that score all the time, it's always the ones with confidence and her character had loads of it . She's a good looking woman, plus half the guys she scores with in the film aren't all six pack muscle guy's. For me the most beautiful woman in this is Brie Larson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Look a small bit off topic but all the people saying Amy isn't hot enough to get with any of those guys are completely dillusional and have clearly watched too many rom coms and have lost touch with the real world.

The 40 year old virgin movie was believable because it was based on a man, do you think that film would have ever been a success if it were based on a female?
    No because if you were to take a cross section of one hundred 40 year old single men and one hundred 40 year old single women i would hazard a guess that there would be definitely two if not three times more male virgins than female and this is because of the lights on in the club phenomena.

Look we've all seen it and some of us in here will have probably done it, you see good looking guys frantically dashing around the club as the lights go on and the music stops as he realises that he's lost track of time and is going home alone so he basically picks up whatever's left and takes her home because for 90% of men a score is a score.

Now i don't want anyone in here taking the moral high ground and saying that is a disgusting portrayal of men and women on a night out and you're right I'm not referring to everyone but please think back to your nights out and tell me you haven't seen a really hot guy walking out with an average or below average chick. But also think back and think how many times you've seen a hot chick walking out with a below average guy? Exactly.

Guys will nearly always lower their standards at the end of the night and take advantage of some insecure average girl in the Corner who thinks all her Christmases have come at once (pardon the pun) but women won't so that is why you will rarely find a female virgin but you will often find a male virgin.

And that is why Any Schumer getting with all these hot guys is one of the more realistic warts and all rom coms in recent memory.

• Advertisement

She's really pretty though. I don't think she'd have problems getting chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It's interesting that some who are annoyed at those questioning Amy's looks have no qualms with listing less attractive men than their female co-stars. Surely if you have a problem with a poster questioning someone's attractiveness it should go for both sexes, why defend one and put down another? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

The movie was quite average comedy for me, I could see what they were trying to do with it but there was not as many laughs as I'd expected and it just went on too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It's interesting that some who are annoyed at those questioning Amy's looks have no qualms with listing less attractive men than their female co-stars. Surely if you have a problem with a poster questioning someone's attractiveness it should go for both sexes, why defend one and put down another? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

The movie was quite average comedy for me, I could see what they were trying to do with it but there was not as many laughs as I'd expected and it just went on too long.

I think they're pointing out the hypocrisy that it's not something that's brought up for those movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It was patchy, but I liked it. I was definitely looking at my watch around the 90 minute mark, though.

There was like, huge chunks of the thing that could have clipped or whatever, its a wee bit long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

People seem to be universally saying it's too long, but I genuinely found it OK length wise, never felt it dragged at all! High praise for the movie perhaps, when a decent runtime doesn't feel excessive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

tony stark wrote: »
    I think she's super hot.
    Disgusting that her looks are being brought up anyway.
    Er...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In fairness the whole thing about her looks being brought up is also based on the fact that shes does it a lot during her routines. I haven't seen the film yet but looking forward to it.

It feels like the movie's biggest sell was that it featured a lot of famous people. I'll be honest - only one I knew was Matthew Broderick. The sports stars were totally unknown to me and any jokes about them fell flat. But it made me laugh, almost nobody came out looking well. Yes, it confused me how she was able to sleep with so many guys, but then I remembered that a similar thing could be said about the likes of Ben Stiller.

Fantastic segments with Daniel Radcliffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Ben Stiller?!

I know hes not the usual type of Hollywood good looking to most but for some reason Ive liked him since I was about 1 :o:)

• Advertisement

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Ben Stiller?!

I know hes not the usual type of Hollywood good looking to most but for some reason Ive liked him since I was about 1 :o:)

At the time of writing, I couldn't think of anyone else that wasn't conventionally good looking, but kept getting partnered with beautiful women. In hindsight, Vince Vaughn makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

It feels like the movie's biggest sell was that it featured a lot of famous people. I'll be honest - only one I knew was Matthew Broderick. The sports stars were totally unknown to me and any jokes about them fell flat. But it made me laugh, almost nobody came out looking well. Yes, it confused me how she was able to sleep with so many guys, but then I remembered that a similar thing could be said about the likes of Ben Stiller.

If Amy was not famous and lived in almost any city in the world, she would have guys all over her in clubs anytime she was in one. A girl who looked even somewhat less attractive would. I don't know what world you lads are living in where Amy Schumer would struggle to get male attention, but it sure ain't the same one I'm living in. I wouldn't mind if the men she was shown as having shagged / shagging were all stunning models, but they were far from it. Faaar from it.

Seen it again this weekend and again it was pretty much a full house.

One thing..
    Did anyone else feel they were suggesting that the father had killed himself?
    The nurse said he was "hoarding his medication" and that "his heart gave out'
    But were they suggesting that he hoarded the medication so he could take it all at once and that's why his heart have out?
    Or just that his heart gave out because he was hoarding the meds instead of taking them?

Amy with her Dad who has MS.

1507_schumer1.png?width=400&height=287&ext=.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

This film is rubbish. The funniest person in it (intentionally) is El Bron ? The famous American Basketball? player who plays himself and has good comic timing. Better than Amy Schumer's but then again a woman telling jokes is like a dog walking on its hind legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

kidneyfan wrote: »
    then again a woman telling jokes is like a dog walking on its hind legs.
    Good to know you didn't go in with a dinosaur's perception of comedy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 alpha_a

If Amy was not famous and lived in almost any city in the world, she would have guys all over her in clubs anytime she was in one.

No way - not a chance. Just, NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Yes way - every chance. Just, YES.

Women that look a hell of lot less attractive than her do, so don't see why she wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

It was good but it doesn't deserve the comparisons to Bridesmaids. It's not at the same level.

I had a complete mind**** when i twigged that it was Tilda Swinton as the boss though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Shergar6 wrote: »

I had a complete mind**** when i twigged that it was Tilda Swinton as the boss though!

I was sure it was Faye Ripley (she of Cold Feet), couldn't believe when the credits rolled and it was Tilda Swinton. Gives a little extra (probably unintentinal) dimension to her scenes with the intern as they were mother and son in We Need To Talk About Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

I thought the scene in the cinema was very funny. Overall an enjoyable, sit on the couch on a Friday night, type movie, doesn't take too much of an investment of effort to enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I watched the first hour of this a while back. The amount of cli-ché's in it bothered me, so I had to turn it off. I've watched Amy's tv show since the beginning, and that is very much anti-cli-ché, so the film made me feel like she'd sold out.

Last week, I decided to try and watch the rest of it. Again, I watched another hour of it, and again, the cli-ché's pissed me off.

The first reason I'm so annoyed by how cli-ché the film is is because her tv show is the opposite, and that's what I was expecting from the film. The second reason it has annoyed me is because all the reviews of the film keep applauding it for not being a cli-ché! And all I keep wondering is what bloody film were they watching??? It's cli-ché after cli-ché after cli-ché!

And yes I know I've said cli-ché about a thousand times in this post, and that's exactly what I felt like watching the film. A thousand disappointing cli-ché's.

I'm unsure if I will get around to eventually finishing the movie. The disappointment is bothersome.

Advertisement