Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Alicia Vikander is so pretty, its ridiculous. Hope she gets the lead in a really good hit movie at some point soon.

Michael Fassbender's girlfriend has the female lead in next Bourne film and also The Danish Girl with Eddie Redmayne who is an Oscar frontrunner again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

seen this yesterday and im kinda lost by it.

its by no stretch of the imagination a great film but by god i had a great time at it. i really enjoyed cavill and hamners verbal sparing and while theyre sporting some of the most ridiculous accents going its works somehow.

solos description of what kuryakin did to the back of his car for instance had me in sticthes.

ive only the bearest recolection of the TV show . knowing only the names, general themes, and of course the fact yer man from saphire and steel was the russian in it. so ive no idea how faithful its been to that franchise.

but it did manage to capture the "Feel" of a 60s TV show. the yellow legends that flash up relaying what city/country the scene has jumped to coulda come straight from kojak or the streets of san francisco . the font is perfect (which is something i didnt think i'd ever reference in a film review :) ) and the over all look and style of the films screams 50s/60s so they did alright on that mark.

i vaguely remember solo being suave and "roger moore bond-ish" in the TV show but have no idea if kuryakin was the nutter he was in this. either way hamner played a blinder in that role and the contrast of personalities made for alot of fun

its guy ritchie so if ya like what he's been pumping out you'll like this, but he does reuse some of his ideas from other films he's done (sherlock holmses) in this. still ya see cameos by actors he's history with (jarred harris for one, which im perfectly happy to see more of).

all in all i get the feeling this is gonna flop, but not due to any prob with the film, simply as its tough to catagorise and as such sell which is a pity as its actually really charming and everyone seems to be having a blast in it.

7.5 outta 10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Alicia Vikander is so pretty, its ridiculous. Hope she gets the lead in a really good hit movie at some point soon.

She's been in a good few films, Ex Machina, A Royal Affair, Testament of Youth and Anna Karenina. Which she is very good in all of these films especially the first two which are her best performances to date.

I thought she was misused in Son of a gun (underwritten role) and Seventh Son.

She's about to appear in Derek Cianfrance's (Blue Valentine and A Place above the Pines) adapation of The Light Between Oceans, with Michael Fassbender and Rachel Weisz. She's in the new Bradley Cooper film Burnt written by Steve Knight (Peaky Blinders). Tulip which stars Jack O'Connell and Christoph Waltz. Plus the Bourne film and Danish Girl.

She's not lacking any big movie roles, it be interesting to see which one of those roles has a juicy role to show off her talents as a actress. I think The Lights between Oceans and Danish Girl could be the ones that could make her a break out star. Not a great start with Seventh Son or The Man from Uncle both flopping, I think she works better outside blockbusters. She's got the looks certainly to be on the magazine covers. She's a very good actress when given the right material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Really enjoyed this last night. It's actually the first time I've seen Henry Cavill in a movie (not including his small part in Stardust) and I thought he was excellent in the Archer-like easy going American spy role. I know it's not for everyone but I like Ritchie's style of directing and felt it worked particularly well here. And I haven't even mentioned the best part, that brilliant soundtrack. Really good job done on that. Disappointing to see it's not doing too well at the box office because I'd love a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's actually the first time I've seen Henry Cavill in a movie (not including his small part in Stardust).

Who was he in Stardust?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,140 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Who was he in Stardust?

This guy.

Get the fúck out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Get the fúck out!!

Yeah I was surprised myself. I only realised he was in it when I looked him up after seeing TMFU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Saw this recently, the dialog and acting are good and its well made with many enjoyable scenes.

However, it felt very dated (not set in the 60's kind of dated), e.g
    nuclear weapons falling into the wrong hands has been done to death and just not relevant anymore. The overacting from the female villain was really cheesy and cringey, kind of unwatchable in parts.

It needed more spoof the 60's themes/scenes.
    e.g when like 50 undercover agents from USA & RUSSIA spying on each get up at coffee shop together)

Overall, its a miss for me.

I'd give it 6 / 10, not good enough to spend an evening at the cinema unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

5/10 for me. It missed a lot of the zing and humour that Guy Ritchie had in Snatch and LS&TSB, so much so that the scenes that were actually funny -
    picnic in the van and fixed electric chair
    almost seemed out of place.

It also suffered from a couple of cases of over-explaining. If the audience haven't picked up on certain details, then tough s**t. Don't insult everyone else's intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I really enjoyed this film, the music is so cool in it and Henry Cavill is so gorgeous and his clothes are so nice in it.

I really enjoyed this. I think people have said that the chemistry between Cavill and Hammer isn't great, comparing them to Law and RDJ in the Holmes films but they're going after a very different chemistry. Holmes and Watson and best friends, a relationship which Law and RDJ nail. Solo and Kurylenko are rivals thrown together and I think Cavill and Hammer handle that competitive, used to working alone relationship very well. One thing that took me by surprise and that I really liked was that American wasn't the hero with a Russian side kick. I think this movie was originally going to star Tom Cruise as Solo and I'd be imagine we would've got a very different film. I felt that Solo was the womanising comic relief (in that he has more wit about him than the Russian) which overall provided a pleasantly surprising dynamic to the trio which I enjoyed. The fact that Gaby actually has a part to play was also refreshing even if she does need rescuing towards the end.

The very first shot of Solo walking across Checkpoint Charlie is done in that old blurry style of a genuine 60s film and I would have loved to see more of that although I don't think it would have worked for the whole film. I would genuinely love to a sequel to this as the potential is blindingly obvious but this was definitely held back by origin reservations. Is this really doing that badly?
    nix wrote:
    If .... was in it i didnt see him >_

He was the Russian projectionist delivering the slides on Solo's bio

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Really enjoyed this last night. It's actually the first time I've seen Henry Cavill in a movie (not including his small part in Stardust) and I thought he was excellent in the Archer-like easy going American spy role. I know it's not for everyone but I like Ritchie's style of directing and felt it worked particularly well here. And I haven't even mentioned the best part, that brilliant soundtrack. Really good job done on that. Disappointing to see it's not doing too well at the box office because I'd love a sequel.

Good call on Archer, while watching it I thought he'd be great in the role too. I was almost waiting for a "Daaaanger Zone".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Slick, stylish but almost utterly hollow; you really get a sense from his CV that Guy Ritchie has one gear and he's using it for all its worth - though to be fair, the 1960s setting is well suited to his directorial style, and he certainly knows how to stage & time a good joke - a concept depressingly foreign in today's Hollywood films. Truthfully I had actually completely forgotten about Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes franchise and in many ways I think that says it all: just like UNCLE they were themselves polished, funny and perfectly enjoyable but nothing more than empty calories quickly forgotten. I definitely enjoyed UNCLE, don't get me wrong, but if I was asked to nominate one firm quality that might set it apart from other summer films, I'd struggle. There was no killer quip, no particularly amazing action set-piece (the last act was incredibly anticlimactic), no specific instance where the film clicked into a different gear. A 'modest' summer film then, though the cast did seem to be having a good time.
    i vaguely remember solo being suave and "roger moore bond-ish" in the TV show but have no idea if kuryakin was the nutter he was in this. either way hamner played a blinder in that role and the contrast of personalities made for alot of fun

IIRC, Kuryakin became something of a heartthrob sensation back in the day, played as the silent, mysterious type. Like yourself I only have a small recollection of the show from repeats broadcast in the 1980s, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't the raging psycho from this film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kuryakin was ice cool (read cold Ruskie) in the TV series, Solo was impetuous/reckless (read hot blooded American) at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoyed it the whole style over substance made it feel like an old fashioned weekend matinee film.

Advertisement