Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There´s a spoilery sort of anecdote here from
    Michael Shannon (I didn´t realise he was in this movie)

http://www.superherohype.com/news/350741-michael-shannon-zod-batman-v-superman#/slide/1

Well he's shown in the trailer more or less, parts of this movie will be showing the MoS climax from Wayne's PoV so stands to reason we'll see him, there'll surely be flash backs to superman killing him too as I'd imagine he's having some sort of crisis of conscience about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well he's shown in the trailer more or less, parts of this movie will be showing the MoS climax from Wayne's PoV so stands to reason we'll see him, there'll surely be flash backs to superman killing him too as I'd imagine he's having some sort of crisis of conscience about it.

Ya but
    flippers, wtf?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Ya but
    flippers, wtf?
    Yeah no idea what that's about, surely something to do with Aquaman.

Was thinking the same, a way to shoehorn in this other character!
    Somehow I don't think Zod is going to be as threatening looking with big flippers on this hands!

Was thinking the same, a way to shoehorn in this other character!
    Somehow I don't think Zod is going to be as threatening looking with big flippers on this hands!

Maybe he's just finally accepted that he's
    a gay fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Ya but
    flippers, wtf?

I reckon they're CGI flippers that will be replaced with something more threatening in post production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

I reckon they're CGI flippers that will be replaced with something more threatening in post production.

My guess is lexcorp will develop some sort of super villain using Zods body ala Doomsday...

I also believe that
    the heat vision (or whatever it was) that batman is escaping in the trailer is in fact this Zod/Doomsday type character and not superman"

Goddamn a Superman vs Doomsday live action movie would be superb. But only if they get Doomsday properly. Hope they won't go the Fantastic Four remake route of the Thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Goddamn a Superman vs Doomsday live action movie would be superb. But only if they get Doomsday properly. Hope they won't go the Fantastic Four remake route of the Thing.

Worst reboot in history. Certainly among the top anyway. The first two with Alba/Evans/et al were bad but jesus they were almost Oscar worthy compared to this, that's how bad it was.

Doomsday vs Superman live action. Good lord. That would be one of the most epic movies in history. If as you say, they do Doomsday right. Give Doomsday the respect he deserves, being the only character to actually kill Superman. If they treat him any less, then the movie will bomb.

Can certainly see him coming up in the future with the movies DC has planned. Could well be the enemy for Justice League if they're not going down the road of Darkseid just yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Doomsday in man of steel 2 with George Miller directing would be good. The potential fighting scenes possible with him against superman in a live action movie are seriously blowing my mind. Like I said on here before, the choreographers from The Raid 2 should be involved with a superman movie. I'd love to see something like a DBZ fight and with similar cinematography to SM vs Zod in MoS (over the shoulder flying shots).

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »
    Worst reboot in history. Certainly among the top anyway. The first two with Alba/Evans/et al were bad but jesus they were almost Oscar worthy compared to this, that's how bad it was.

Doomsday vs Superman live action. Good lord. That would be one of the most epic movies in history. If as you say, they do Doomsday right. Give Doomsday the respect he deserves, being the only character to actually kill Superman. If they treat him any less, then the movie will bomb.

Can certainly see him coming up in the future with the movies DC has planned. Could well be the enemy for Justice League if they're not going down the road of Darkseid just yet.

Do you think they would be brave enough to do it? I haven't read the comics, but I know in the animated feature, Superman is dead for a large portion of the movie, so is about how the world copes without him. I could be misremembering that, so will need to rewatch it! But I'm not sure if anyone would be brave enough to have the same, unless they kill him towards the climax.

Do you think they would be brave enough to do it? I haven't read the comics, but I know in the animated feature, Superman is dead for a large portion of the movie, so is about how the world copes without him. I could be misremembering that, so will need to rewatch it! But I'm not sure if anyone would be brave enough to have the same, unless they kill him towards the climax.

Ya I'm the same. Never read a single comic. So my knowledge of the DC universe stems solely from animated movies/etc as well as my own research. It would be interesting and a bold move since nothing like that has been done on live action. Of course they don't have to have Doomsday kill him, but if they did they'd most likely bring him back a movie or 2 later, kinda like what Superman:Doomsday (animated film) did. It was the same movie obviously but it'd be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some reports coming in that Affleck is really good in the movie - so much so that studio execs are asking for more Batman in the movie. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I wouldn't believe it but I do feel sorry for Cavill, MOS really hamstrung him at times. The dialogue he had to deal with at times was just cringe, so bad that he had to compensate with overacting.

It's bad enough that this film bumped a MOS sequel but it'd be even worse if Cavill's Superman is treated like a chump. I've always been of the opinion that for this film to work both characters need to be treated strongly. If Snyder hasn't achieved that then I will be disappointed.

I know how cool Batman is, but I'm not interested in seeing him dominate this film at the expense of the Man of Steel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For me it's important which part of Affleck's character they want more of, if it's more of Bruce Wayne then that can be good, if it's more of Batman then that could be an issue, in my opinion the best Batman representations are always when the focus is on the villain rather than Batman, but I'd be interested in seeing how Bruce decides to don the cowl again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Sorry, did I just see WonderWoman in the trailer ?
    OK, I'm out - thought it was a bit of a ridicoulous concept in the first place, but this is just taking the piss !!!

Sorry, did I just see WonderWoman in the trailer ?
    OK, I'm out - thought it was a bit of a ridicoulous concept in the first place, but this is just taking the piss !!!

"Dawn of Justice" didn't give you any clues as to part of the premise of the movie?

Marvel introduced multiple Avengers in single movies also.

Also, why is the concept ridiculous? If you are familiar with DC canon you would know it isn't.

techdiver wrote: »
    "Dawn of Justice" didn't give you any clues as to part of the premise of the movie?

Marvel introduced multiple Avengers in single movies also.

Also, why is the concept ridiculous? If you are familiar with DC canon you would know it isn't.

In fairness, those of us not into comics and the like probably still see Wonder Woman as a cheesy TV show from the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

The title of the film is called Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. People better get used to the idea of Justice League characters appearing in film that is partly about the early formation of the Justice League, or the whining and moaning that will go on when the film is released will be unbearable.

• Advertisement

In fairness, those of us not into comics and the like probably still see Wonder Woman as a cheesy TV show from the 70s.

Fair enough, but Batman was a cheesy TV show until the movies. Every character has to start somewhere.

I think to arbitrarily dismiss a movie because of a preconceived notion about certain characters from an historical perspective, is a bit narrow minded, at least without doing a bit of research on it.

BTW, I'm not the biggest comic nerd either (just a nerd in general :D), but I do enjoy the animated movies based on the comics. They would be a good place to start for someone who wants a bit of a catch up.

I think comic book characters, more so than any other have had many metamorphoses over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Roark wrote: »
    the whining and moaning that will go on when the film is released will be unbearable.

Aquaman sucks.

the whining and moaning that will go on when the film is released will be unbearable.

Yeah.

I think there are clearly people who have their mind made up before the movie is even released regardless of how good or bad is is on both sides. They won't be swayed either way.

From reading various sources it seems many people just dislike Zack Snyder and anything bad in the movie will prove as confirmation bias to that effect.

I've always wondered what reception various movies would get from movie buffs if it was made completely behind closed doors and the director, writer, etc was unknown until after they watched it. A sort of blind taste test for movies if you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

or the whining and moaning that will go on when the film is released will be unbearable.
    I'll be biting my lip if people here dismiss it for not being "faithful" even if the film making is leagues above what Marvel's crew have done (which wouldn't take much tbh).

Say what you want about Man of Steel or Dark Knight Rises but they were at least visions of the director that didn't pander to their audiences. I'll take interesting and personal failures over safe bets (I.E every Marvel studio movie) any day of the week.

Aquaman sucks.

Nobody can argue with that! :pac:

Aquaman sucks.

You're essentially saying that Khal Drogo sucks? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

jaxxx wrote: »
    You're essentially saying that Khal Drogo sucks? :p

Not even the mighty Khal Drogo can help Aquaman not suck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

e_e wrote: »
    Say what you want about Man of Steel or Dark Knight Rises but they were at least visions of the director that didn't pander to their audiences. I'll take interesting and personal failures over safe bets (I.E every Marvel studio movie) any day of the week.

An important point people keep forgetting though is that Nolan's series was a standalone series with no ties to any other DC heroes or the DCU. Man of Steel is the ONLY movie released in their new DCU so it is very very easy to say "look at how unique and visionary it is". It wasn't exactly a unanimously applauded movie either, it had a lot of problems and split audiences to the point that DC are throwing everything at the sequel to keep the universe alive.

I'm looking forward DoJ but I'm under no illusion that we're just at the beginning of DC going down the exact same road as Marvel but with a darker, more saturated colour palette. You think if DC find a formula that works for them that they won't won't try and stick to it like glue?

sky88 wrote: »
    Not even the mighty Khal Drogo can help Aquaman not suck

That poster was pretty badass though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'll be biting my lip if people here dismiss it for not being "faithful" even if the film making is leagues above what Marvel's crew have done (which wouldn't take much tbh).

What I would say about them is that they’re movies that are no way interconnected with each other so your comparison to Marvel movies is worthless.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    What I would say about them is that they’re movies that are no way interconnected with each other so your comparison to Marvel movies is worthless.
    It's a totally worthwhile comparison when showing what makes one studio have promise and potential over the other.

I'd say what makes DC stand apart now is precisely that they don't rely on some democratization of visual style that Marvel does. I really don't see why even within one universe different artists can't come in and express their vision of it. What Marvel have done is largely a really homogenized arse-covering exercise that has really impinged on directors like Joss Whedon, Jon Favreau and James Gunn. Call me crazy but I find it a little sad that we're getting this huge wave of blockbusters that lack spectacle, have no artistic vision behind them and are visually bland for the most part.

I'd like to see DC be the Pixar to Marvel's Dreamworks, too early to tell if that could be the case but the choice of directors and interesting looking trailers are a start I'd say.

Bacchus wrote: »
    An important point people keep forgetting though is that Nolan's series was a standalone series with no ties to any other DC heroes or the DCU. Man of Steel is the ONLY movie released in their new DCU so it is very very easy to say "look at how unique and visionary it is". It wasn't exactly a unanimously applauded movie either, it had a lot of problems and split audiences to the point that DC are throwing everything at the sequel to keep the universe alive.
    Agree with all of this, I did like the boldness of Man of Steel though even if it didn't completely work out. The retcon of it in Batman V Superman I thought was well done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It's a totally worthwhile comparison when showing what makes one studio have promise and potential over the other.

I'd say what makes DC stand apart now is precisely that they don't rely on some democratization of visual style that Marvel does. I really don't see why even within one universe different artists can't come in and express their vision of it. What Marvel have done is largely a really homogenized arse-covering exercise that has really impinged on directors like Joss Whedon, Jon Favreau and James Gunn. Call me crazy but I find it a little sad that we're getting this huge wave of blockbusters that lack spectacle, have no artistic vision behind them and are visually bland for the most part.

I'd like to see DC be the Pixar to Marvel's Dreamworks, too early to tell if that could be the case but the choice of directors and interesting looking trailers are a start I'd say.

It is too early to tell and that’s why I said your contrast between the two wasn’t worthwhile. You were comparing apples to orange seeds. It has promise and potential because they’ve released one movie in their universe while Marvel released 12 movies and 65 TV episodes. You’re pontificating about DC over Marvel with no evidence, similar statements after the first Iron Man if you looked at some of the future Marvel trailers and choice of directors.

Following on from your apples/orange seeds analogy I really don't see what's wrong with saying that I hope the latter grows into something better than what we've had already.

Also we're talking about big budget comic book movies here, let's not pretend that there's a wider gap than there is. Not like I'm comparing Apichatpong Weerasethakul to Michael Bay or anything. :P

Agree with all of this, I did like the boldness of Man of Steel though even if it didn't completely work out. The retcon of it in Batman V Superman I thought was well done though.

What's been retconned?

I think WB still believe in the world MOS established, they just couldn't depend on the character to carry the pivotal 2nd film in the universe on his own.

Nothing has been retconned, the only thing that has been mercifully scratched is Goyer. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Not if you read her comics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Sobko wrote: »
    Not if you read her comics.

People who are not into comics, by definition, won't have read her comics... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

People who are not into comics, by definition, won't have read her comics... ;)

Ha sorry I thought it read those of us into comics. Still plenty of material in the animated shows.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    What's been retconned?
    The way they placed Bruce Wayne amidst the chaos at the end of Man of Steel and got the character's motivations from there. I thought it was really smart not only on a setup level but the way it addressed the common criticisms of Man of Steel just turning Superman into a killing machine. I'll take Snyder's "it was meant that way all along" with a pinch of salt though.

The way they placed Bruce Wayne amidst the chaos at the end of Man of Steel and got the character's motivations from there. I thought it was really smart not only on a setup level but the way it addressed the common criticisms of Man of Steel just turning Superman into a killing machine. I'll take Snyder's "it was meant that way all along" with a pinch of salt though.

Ah, fair point. :) It was a smart move alright, hopefully they pull it off convincingly as there will be plenty of people looking to pick holes from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I still cant wait for this film.

It does look good and more interesting than anything that is out there. Hopefully it will have a good story line and a plausible fight seen between Batman and Superman. ( not sure how it does go)

I think they can pull off the fight convincingly, but it's important that creative license is taken. If they play it strip for strip like it unfolds in TDKR then it won't work.

In other words, don't have Superman as a chump. Have Bruce less as the agressor, and be more tactically astute (using his surroundings rather getting into a fist fight with a god like being)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm interested to how much destruction will be caused given that from the trailer Bruce's motivation would appear to be the level of destruction in MoS but from the trailer they do seem to be fighting in a built up area

Looks like quite a run down area. May be Gotham.

In fairness to Aquaman, they've completely redesigned him in recent years and he's absolutely bad-ass.

Some news about Jesse Eisenberg's Luthor. I will definitely spoiler it, but note that the 'spoiler' is from the studio as part of a viral marketing campaign for the movie.
    He will actually be playing Alexander Luthor Jr. having recently taken over and revitalising and rebranding his father's outdated Lexcorp company, sounds like Jesse is basically a sci-fi Zuckerberg

More here

(Apologies to those who can't click the above link, I can't post the URL as it contains the spoiler)

stankratz wrote: »
    He will actually be playing Alexander Luthor Jr. having recently taken over and revitalising and rebranding his father's outdated Lexcorp company, sounds like Jesse is basically a sci-fi Zuckerberg
    Wait, so Lex Luthor isn't in this? I wonder will Lex make an appearance in any DCCU movies down the line? This seems like a strange, unnecessary move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Bacchus wrote: »
    Wait, so Lex Luthor isn't in this? I wonder will Lex make an appearance in any DCCU movies down the line? This seems like a strange, unnecessary move.

The Fortune article quotes
    LLjr as saying his dad WAS a complicated man; he may be long dead. Tbh, this just sounds like they're changing him to Lex Jr so they can make as many changes to the character as they want and the mega fans won't get too pissy cos "sure it's not the REAL Lex."

More or less the same as what they did with Smallville sure. Lex is one of those characters that's had very different iterations down the years anyway so they're fairly free to do what they want with him.

More or less the same as what they did with Smallville sure. Lex is one of those characters that's had very different iterations down the years anyway so they're fairly free to do what they want with him.

I still see a risk of pissing off the hard core nerd following (of which I'm a "Lite" member :D).

I'm fine with the change, but I can see people being outraged for the sake of being outraged as usual. They are certainly being brave with the adaptation. They could have just played it safe especially since Man of Steel polarized opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement