Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAVING CERT STUDY/HOW TO GET A1s/HELP

Options
  • 07-05-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi everyone, currently doing my leaving cert and I'm really starting to freak out.

I want to do Speech and Language Therapy in Trinity next year which is 530 points

My Pre results:
    English (H) A2 85%
    Biology (H) A2 85%
    Business (H) A2 88%
    German (H) B1 84%
    Chemistry (H) B3 71%
    Maths (H) D3 40%
    Irish (H) C3 59%
    Music (H) C3 59%
    LCVP (C) Distinction 83%

So overall I got 500 points.. My aims for the real thing are 2A1s 3B1s and a C2 in higher maths which would be 545 points.

I also did a second maths pre in which I got 52%

Us this unrealistic? Could I go up 45 points? Can anyone tell me or advice me using their own LC and pre results? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

That would be a moderate enough jump. I got 525 in the mocks and hoping for 580 and I think that's achievable. You can definitely improve if you apply yourself. My brother went from 385 (mocks)->515 and that's not even exceptional so don't panic!

You are doing a lot of subjects, however. I think you're finished with LCVP now but you're still doing 8 subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

robman60 wrote: »
    That would be a moderate enough jump. I got 525 in the mocks and hoping for 580 and I think that's achievable. You can definitely improve if you apply yourself. My brother went from 385 (mocks)->515 and that's not even exceptional so don't panic!

You are doing a lot of subjects, however. I think you're finished with LCVP now but you're still doing 8 subjects.

Hey thanks for the reply congrats on your pre results, can I ask what subjects you do? You did brilliantly.

Well done to your brother too! I'm just worried about the fact that many people say they improve vastly from the pres but I believe it's easier to go from low results to moderately high, but is it easy to go from moderately high to very high? I don't know..

Also, I'm completely aware I'm doing a lot of subjects, I wish I wasn't haha! I took music as an extra subject in fifth year because I was a bit wary about honours maths! However I started grinds and I began to improve.. I did a second maths Pre in which it got 52% so that's improving and I'm happy.

As you can see I'm not very good at Irish but I got that result with practically no work at higher level and I believe my oral went pretty well too so there's no point in dropping to pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Maybe you could drop to pass Irish on the day and focus on the rest? Unless you feel you can get a high grade then DON'T. You've done perfectly well just keep refining your knowledge of everything over the next few weeks.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Maybe you could drop to pass Irish on the day and focus on the rest? Unless you feel you can get a high grade then DON'T. You've done perfectly well just keep refining your knowledge of everything over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the reply :) my mam is a fluent irish speaker you see so I think she really helped with my oral, I definitely think I got a B in the oral so I believe that will bring my grade up to higher than my pre! Irish really isn't putting any pressure on me.. It's more getting the B1 in chemistry, 2A1s and the C2 in honours maths that I'm worried about.. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

For Maths, both papers are divided into two sections. The first 150 marks are like questions plucked straight out of your textbook. If you can nail these questions you will be well on your way to a C2. For the second 150 marks they often throw attempt marks at you for anything you throw down so attempt everything :)

For the rest of your subjects just keep on keepin' on :D

• Advertisement

Hey thanks for the reply congrats on your pre results, can I ask what subjects you do? You did brilliantly.

Well done to your brother too! I'm just worried about the fact that many people say they improve vastly from the pres but I believe it's easier to go from low results to moderately high, but is it easy to go from moderately high to very high? I don't know..

Also, I'm completely aware I'm doing a lot of subjects, I wish I wasn't haha! I took music as an extra subject in fifth year because I was a bit wary about honours maths! However I started grinds and I began to improve.. I did a second maths Pre in which it got 52% so that's improving and I'm happy.

As you can see I'm not very good at Irish but I got that result with practically no work at higher level and I believe my oral went pretty well too so there's no point in dropping to pass!
    The subjects I'm counting are Irish, English, French, Maths, Business and Accounting. I do Chemistry as well but I don't do any work in it.

I know the LC is a different story but I remember I felt pretty pressured after my JC mocks, worried I would drop or wouldn't improve. Of course it's possible that you'll drop but the reality is if you don't get complacent you'll be even more prepared for the actual LC. No one will remember what you got in the mocks anyway.

I wouldn't advise you dropping to pass in either Music or Irish as you've already done a practical and oral. You, could, however decide which of those you're more likely to get a high grade in and abandon the other one slightly. You'll still do quite well in honours with what you've done up to now.

@thelad95: I'm always wary of people dropping to pass Irish because they're going for medicine or something, even though they are easily capable of doing well in honours. It's amazing the number of people who have a change of heart later on (including my aforementioned brother!) and wish to do primary teaching. Could bite you in the ass if that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

If you're getting a B1 in chemistry it looks like you understand the stuff well and just need to perfect exam technique. Chemistry is quite picky with their marking schemes but on the plus side the questions are very formulaic from year to year. I'd say do test paper after test paper. Pick a topic, and repeat the test papers on that topic until you ace it every time. There are only around 12 so you could do them all over 2 weeks. I'm only in fifth year but we've got 75% of the course done at the very least and I'm able to get near 100% on test papers so it might work for you too. Marking schemes are your friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pajc

I hope its possible to come up 45 points. I need to go from 515 to 570 to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Seeing as everyone is asking

Is it possible to jump from 250 to 300 points? I done no study at all for my mocks and got 250 (Failed maths due to panic, and failed Irish in general but I don't need Irish for any of my courses because there all in ITs that don't require a pass in Irish, just English) but I finally started studying at the start of Easter and do around 4 hours a day, should I jump up a good load of points?

Badwulf wrote: »
    Seeing as everyone is asking

Is it possible to jump from 250 to 300 points? I done no study at all for my mocks and got 250 (Failed maths due to panic, and failed Irish in general but I don't need Irish for any of my courses because there all in ITs that don't require a pass in Irish, just English) but I finally started studying at the start of Easter and do around 4 hours a day, should I jump up a good load of points?
    That's easily achievable if you apply yourself. It's going to be easier to jump more if you're coming from a low base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

How do you mean low base?

Badwulf wrote: »
    How do you mean low base?

As in you didn't get a high result in your mocks as you didn't work or perform to your best. This means you have plenty of things to improve on since you did your mocks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

pajc wrote: »
    I hope its possible to come up 45 points. I need to go from 515 to 570 to be safe

You better hope your maths skills improve between now and the Leaving ;)

Hey guys :) I did a second chemistry pre recently and got 89%! I was thrilled ( all from doing exam questions and pre's ) that's a jump from 71 to 89 and I'm over the moon! Still wondering if you guys think my aims are realistic?

Thanks!

Hey guys :) I did a second chemistry pre recently and got 89%! I was thrilled ( all from doing exam questions and pre's ) that's a jump from 71 to 89 and I'm over the moon! Still wondering if you guys think my aims are realistic?

Thanks!

Your aims are definitely realistic. The big improvement in Chemistry suggests you've continued to work well after the mocks, so I think you'll probably be successful in getting 530. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Thanks!

Yes, i think you'll do really well. Keep your head down, and it will all be worth it :D Well done, fantastic results

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Thanks!

Of course theyre realistic you seem to be doin great:) Wish i was in your position, I can barely pass ordinary maths D: Hopefully an A in irish (H) and grography and Biology too. Maybe a C for art because art historys such a bitch. B in english and B/C in german. Everything honours but maths. Got an A in geog and irish in mocks. Hopefully get around 450 points. If not I will repeat

Thanks everyone :) all so encouraging!

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Of course theyre realistic you seem to be doin great:) Wish i was in your position, I can barely pass ordinary maths D: Hopefully an A in irish (H) and grography and Biology too. Maybe a C for art because art historys such a bitch. B in english and B/C in german. Everything honours but maths. Got an A in geog and irish in mocks. Hopefully get around 450 points. If not I will repeat

You'll definitely get that! Keep up the good work on your A subjects and focus a bit more on the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Hi everyone, currently doing my leaving cert and I'm really starting to freak out.

I want to do Speech and Language Therapy in Trinity next year which is 530 points

My Pre results:
    English (H) A2 85%
    Biology (H) A2 85%
    Business (H) A2 88%
    German (H) B1 84%
    Chemistry (H) B3 71%
    Maths (H) D3 40%
    Irish (H) C3 59%
    Music (H) C3 59%
    LCVP (C) Distinction 83%

So overall I got 500 points.. My aims for the real thing are 2A1s 3B1s and a C2 in higher maths which would be 545 points.

Us this unrealistic? Could I go up 45 points? Can anyone tell me or advice me using their own LC and pre results? Thanks!

First of all i'm massively impressed by your results, i mean pretty class haha:) so yeah i'm doing the LC this year and would like you to give me some advice or guideline on how much study you did for your pre's?I haven't sat mine yet and really want to do well in them...I do german, biology,irish, business,english all HL so advice on those please?thanks for the help:)

• Advertisement

First of all i'm massively impressed by your results, i mean pretty class haha:) so yeah i'm doing the LC this year and would like you to give me some advice or guideline on how much study you did for your pre's?I haven't sat mine yet and really want to do well in them...I do german, biology,irish, business,english all HL so advice on those please?thanks for the help:)

I'll PM you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Don't be disappointed by your pre scores if they aren't what you want . In terms of pres it comes down to the quality of the material on the exam paper and secondly the correctors . I would say that most correctors are inexperienced teachers looking to make a quick buck.

I remember my pres last year some of the exam papers weren't great and many of our pres were badly corrected . It all comes down to the quality of the company who makes them . The result they give you may not by representative of your actual ability.

I remember I only got around 530 points in my pres and was disappointed with my results because I knew I would need a lot more points to get my course .I was over 50 points off ! This was definitely disheartening . The real exams were well corrected when I viewed my scripts and the exams were much better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

I wouldn't mind a bit of advice myself as the mocks are coming up. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Caoimhehh

My Pre results:
    English (H) A2 85%
    Biology (H) A2 85%
    Business (H) A2 88%
    German (H) B1 84%
    Chemistry (H) B3 71%
    Maths (H) D3 40%
    Irish (H) C3 59%
    Music (H) C3 59%
    LCVP (C) Distinction 83%

First of all well done that's very good pre results I really want to do speech and language in ucc which is 510 I'm just wondering do you have and advice for me and especially for German id love a b2 in it . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RowanAlli

Can you help me too LauraaWhelann I'll be greatful :D

Advertisement