Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest best coal

Options
  • 19-09-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Similar to the petrol thread where is the cheapest coal/briquettes/blocks in the cork area? I realise that only smokeless fuel can be bought within the city environs but many places outside the city sell the proper stuff.

Could we compile a list of outlets selling all or some of the above and compare prices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 llcoob

I was only looking this up today. I found good value on the pope bros site good bundle deals , last year we used a dairygold co op and got the 40kg coal sticks and briquettes for 20e

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

thats pretty good ..bandon coop in kinsale are doing 40kg of coal soon for 13 ish a bag..
    pope bros website says 1 40kg coal - 2 bags of wood and delivery for 20 squids

is the diamond coal the hotter than the polish?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Picked up a fuel leaflet at the Dairygold Shop in Mallow last week. Their winter fuel offer is on again this year.

Buy 4 bags of coal you get one extra free - looks like great value.

They have every kind of solid fuel in the store, with lots other offers/packages - Leaflet claims that they are the biggest fuel retailer in Munster.

BTW, this offer isn't just for Mallow, it's for any of their stores

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

http://discountfuels.ie/

No Minimum Delivery

No Delivery Charge

Good service

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

moceri wrote: »
    http://discountfuels.ie/

No Minimum Delivery

No Delivery Charge

Good service

These guys advertise Polish Coal and Smokeless Coal separately, does this mean the Polish coal is not smokeless - I'm wondering because I think their depot is within the smokeless zone?

I'm looking for the nearest (good value) source of smoky coal to the city. A friend of mine gets his in the Dairygold Co-op in Kilumney, near Ovens. Any know of any other places?

Also - does anyone know the details of the Dairygold winter fuel offer?

• Advertisement

I went to the dairygold in Kilumney village.
    5 * 40kg Premium Polish Coal
    4 * 12kg blocks
    1 * Jumbo bag of kindling

€95

I'll see how the Polish stuff burns compared to the smokeless coal I was getting last year

Just went through a bag of the Bord Na Mona 40Kg House Coal which cost €12.99 from the co-op in Mallow. Very happy with it, given that the local petrol station charges almost the same for a 20kg bag of Polish coal.

Just went through a bag of the Bord Na Mona 40Kg House Coal which cost €12.99 from the co-op in Mallow. Very happy with it, given that the local petrol station charges almost the same for a 20kg bag of Polish coal.

I was looking at that stuff too out there - might try a few bags of that next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mad_fluffy

Its that time of the year again where one looks for the cheapest coal on sale. And after looking at a few places the most expensive i found was the Co Op superstores which is amazing considering they buy it in massive quantities . Yes its Board Na Mona but thats just a brand name in the bag is Polish coal..
    The cheapest i found so far was Discount fuels Turners Cross Cork offering singles at €6.50 per 40kg bag cheaper than the Co.Op Premium polish coal is €5.49 per 40kg bag cheaper than CoOp.

The Co Op is again the most expensive for winter fuel like coal and singles regardless of the offers they have the price is still very high. Shop around im getting polish coal and house coal in Kanturk €4.00 cheaper a bag than Co Op. And its top quality super heat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭crappyireland

Hi there. Where in Kanturk do you get your coal?

Hello , Burtons Kanturk.. and if you buy a tonne depending on where you live they deliver free.. There household coal and polish coal are very good and most importantly cheap compared to prices around.

Advertisement