Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Orals/Béaltriail Ghaeilge

Options
  • 22-03-2011 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

General thread for any discussion on the Irish orals (beginning around the 13th of April I think).

How's everyone set for theirs? :pac:

One question I have - for the sliochts do we choose from sliochts that are given out to schools (different ones every year) or is it just from whatever ones we've been doing in the book ("An dTuigeann Tú")? I always thought we'd get new sliochts a week or two before the orals but now I'm not sure. :confused:

PS: Here's a handy online Irish dictionary incase anyone wants it: :D

focal.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

How's everyone set for theirs? :pac:

I always thought we'd get new sliochts a week or two before the orals but now I'm not sure. :confused:

Bricking it..! We've very little done..!

Nope the sliochts stay the same. You tell the examiner the numbers you did (eg. 1 go dti 6 or 1, 5, 7, 8 agus 14) and then they'll ask you to read 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

Bricking it..! We've very little done..!

We did nothing last year (worst Irish teacher ever) but this year we've had a class every week for it. I'm happy enough did really well in my mock oral, just hope I don't get too complacent. :rolleyes: Ooh and I like speaking Irish, so that's a bonus!
    Nope the sliochts stay the same.

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

Does anyone have any notes on the japan earthquake and fine geals policies on Irish??

mozzypuffs wrote: »
    Does anyone have any notes on the japan earthquake and fine geals policies on Irish??

Nope, if they ask me about the Irish policy though I should be able to waffle a bit and say I think it's awful because it'll be bad for the language. I'm planning on talking about the Irish language a bit anyway 'cause I'll be saying Irish is my favourite subject (honestly too!). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

Irish is my favourite subject (honestly too!). :D

Wow, fair play if its your favourite subject, you must be really good at it!
    Irish and languages in general have never been my strong point!!
    I'm also a nervous wreck so ill be going into my orals scared as hell!!

• Advertisement

Wow, fair play if its your favourite subject, you must be really good at it!

I dunno, I'm ceart go leor I guess. :D Got a B2 in the mock hoping for an A1 though so I've got a bit of work to do. :rolleyes:
    Irish and languages in general have never been my strong point!!
    I'm also a nervous wreck so ill be going into my orals scared as hell!!

Somehow I'm good at languages (well except English...). I'll be fierce nervous as well my legs were actually shaking for a few minutes after only a mock oral! :eek: Hopefully the nerves will calm down though 'cause I'm going to be one of the first going in. And if I'm lucky the one(s) ahead of me will be brutal so I look good. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

hey don't worry too much about it, just have a few sentences, say something like:

níl a lán eolas agam faoin sin ach
    chuala mé ar an nuacht aréir gur fhuair 28000 daoine bás. ceapaim gur timpiste uafásach é an tsunami. Anois tá ar an iomarca daoine dídean a fháil sna scoileanna agus halla, tá an trua agam dóibh. Chomh maith le sin bhuail an tsunami le staisiún nuclaíocht agus anois tá troiblóid ann anois an staisiún nuclaíocht, ní thuigim cad atá ag tarlu ann i ndairíre ach tá súil agam go mbeidh gach rud ceart go leor. measaim go droch rud é fuinneamh nuclaíocht agus tá rudaí níos fearr againn sa domhain chun leicreachas a fháil. is féidir linn na tonntracha, an ghrian and an ghaoth a úsáid. tá na rudaí sin níos sabhailte agus tá siad maith don timpeallacht.

i just did that off the top of my head so i dunno maybe its not any good.

as for fine gael just be like:

bhuel ceapaim go bhfuil a lan dochas ag baint leis an rialtas nua. tá siad ag iarraidh fadhb na tíre a réiteadh agus tá súil agam go dtarlóidh sé sin. tá post an deacair acu mar tá a lán iasachtaí ag eireann anois. (its hard to write about this cos a lot is your own opinion)

anyway hope this kinda helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

xclw wrote: »
    hey don't worry too much about it, just have a few sentences, say something like:

níl a lán eolas agam faoin sin ach
    chuala mé ar an nuacht aréir gur fhuair 28000 daoine bás. ceapaim gur timpiste uafásach é an tsunami. Anois tá ar an iomarca daoine dídean a fháil sna scoileanna agus halla, tá an trua agam dóibh. Chomh maith le sin bhuail an tsunami le staisiún nuclaíocht agus anois tá troiblóid ann anois an staisiún nuclaíocht, ní thuigim cad atá ag tarlu ann i ndairíre ach tá súil agam go mbeidh gach rud ceart go leor. measaim go droch rud é fuinneamh nuclaíocht agus tá rudaí níos fearr againn sa domhain chun leicreachas a fháil. is féidir linn na tonntracha, an ghrian and an ghaoth a úsáid. tá na rudaí sin níos sabhailte agus tá siad maith don timpeallacht.

i just did that off the top of my head so i dunno maybe its not any good.

well if thats off the top of your head you're sorted, i'd never be able to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Had my french today.
    So now I'm all focus on the Irish.
    And there is a slight possibility that I'll be at a Westlife concert the night before at the other side of the country :pac: But shur, that'll give me something to chat about :)

I'm graaaand with the basics. The only things getting me are the abstract topics. God, so much to learn. And sadly, I actually have to learn it all, every single sentence. I've spent most of my life learning irish yet I can't string a sentence together on my own, off the top of my head*. What a waste of 9/10 years.

*Well maybe "tá mé ag dul go dtí an siopa" but I doubt I'd be using that in an oral situation :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Had a mock last week and well a side from the lack of proper sentences and misunderstanding from me I still got 53% without a rap of study and mines inn the morning yay!

Ah sure it'll be grand :rolleyes: I can do the sliacht fairly well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Did my oral today. Got Sliocht 2, read it perfectly apart from stuttering on a sentence, I think she knew it was from nervousness though.

I was kind of surprised at how basic she kept the topics, at first I was worried that she didn't think I was up to scratch, but now I think it was maybe because I talked so much! I couldn't shut up, I gave it all I got. Briathar saors, modh coinniollachs, the whole thing. Got asked on siblings, school, subjects, hobbies, school rules, the town, problems and solutions, and what I want to do after school.

I've my French tomorrow. :eek: Will be very nervous - going in second too. :rolleyes: But shure at least it'll be over with. Kind of looking forward to the Irish one now! :pac: Will be shaking like a leaf though no matter how prepared I am. At least I can waffle really well in Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i had rescue remedy for irish today i was crying i was so nervous so glad its over now though, i just wish i knew what i got!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

xclw wrote: »
    i had rescue remedy for irish today i was crying i was so nervous so glad its over now though, i just wish i knew what i got!

Ha!..
    Same with me!..
    Except I cried afterwards!=)

My Irish isn't on 'til Monday! :eek:
    French went brilliantly though the examiner was really nice, a little too nice... :confused: Happy out with it though my nerves didn't even bother me in the slightest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭hatethisfeeling

anyone know for the sliochts, are you allowed bring in the book that there in eg. and dtuigeann tu? or do you have to photocopy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

anyone know for the sliochts, are you allowed bring in the book that there in eg. and dtuigeann tu? or do you have to photocopy them?
    You bring the book in with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I assume you can't bring in An dTuigeann Tu because it's got the pronounciations. My examiner had a copy of the sliochts but on the safe side find a copy of the sliochts without the annotations and photocopy them onto sheets. They must not be marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm freaking out about Irish :( I'm so unprepared and we've done nothing all year and my teacher refused to do oral work with us today :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 anonomousangel

I had mine yesterday, I was the last person to go in all day so I was terrified that I was gonna get pushed back until the morning and have to spend another evening worrying about it! But in general I was happy enough, the examiner was really lovely, but she asked me a good few things that I hadn't prepared. Talking to people, she seems to have gone out of her way to get us to answer in improvised ways rather than using learned of phrases, but I don't know if that was just the preference of the person I got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I assume you can't bring in An dTuigeann Tu because it's got the pronounciations. My examiner had a copy of the sliochts but on the safe side find a copy of the sliochts without the annotations and photocopy them onto sheets. They must not be marked.

Yes they can be marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 anonomousangel

I don't think this is right. Everyone in my class read from An dTuigeann Tu, and my book had both mine and my sister's notes on it, but my teacher didn't say I had to rub it out or anything like that.

You can. You can even type your own out or have it written out phonetically.

Aoifums wrote: »
    You can. You can even type your own out or have it written out phonetically.
    You can have it written out phonetically? Surely not...?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

You definitely can. I had mine today, & I have all the 'ch's highlighted, and pronunciations written above certain words. Our teacher has alwys told us we're allowed to!

Apparently so.
    I know for my mock, I had almost every word written in phonetically above the text. I'm not sure if you have to have the text too but I've been told than you can have it like that if you need to.

Nice, i'll get on to doing that now. I'm doing my oral tomorrow at 9am.

Nice, i'll get on to doing that now. I'm doing my oral tomorrow at 9am.

I looked at your post and went 'Your oral is on a Saturday' inside my head :o Wishful thinking!
    Best of luch :)

We're definitely allowed to bring in our own sliochts and have as much as we want written on them. Anyone able to post any mad things they were asked that they didn't expect, or hadn't prepared? Just curious... :cool: Go n-eirí an t-ádh libh go léir!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

hey guys...im doing ordinary level irish....and to say im dead for my orals is beyond a joke....our teacher hasnt given us any notes...i have tried my best to get some and have most them done...but just wondering does anyone have any good one liners? or a good hobbie i could learn off?
    would be a great help...irish really isnt my best of subjects..:(

also if i just learn basics and have alot to speel off on that do you think that will get me through it? :confused:

Advertisement