Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jerry Seinfeld's new show: The Marriage Ref

Options
  • 24-03-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

Now I would probably tune in each week to watch Seinfeld washing the dishes but this (1st ep) is fairly dire. Two couples with an issue - one guy wanted to keep his stuffed dead dog in the reception hall of their house; the other wanted a pole dancing pole in the bedroom - have their story shown and then the guests who included Alec Baldwin, Jerry and some other woman discuss the merits of each partner's argument with the host (some unknown guy) before he comes to a decision. Each time they came to the obvious conclusion (guess!) and whilst Alec and Jerry did have a few funny lines it was very forced and un-natural. I believe Jerry will appear in some of the episodes but not all. Only reason to continue with this is a future ep with Ricky Gervais, Madonna and Larry David. I can't believe Jerry came up with this idea and NBC actually went for it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I think even Larry David slated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ageispolis wrote: »
    I think even Larry David slated it.

Yeah he did:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/03/larry_david_on_the_marriage_re.html

I saw a bit of it and it's absolutely awful. Even Gervais slates it when he's on saying it's the strangest show he's ever been on.

Don't be surprised if a future Curb episode appears with Larry tearing Jerry a new one for putting him on the show. :D

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Been watching through Seinfeld again, and while it's still funny, it now feels like a diluted Curb your Enthusiasm which is concentrated comedy genius. Jerry was clearly the diluting factor.

Think I'll put this show on the back burner for a season to see if it improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I think it's fairly obvious by now that Larry David was the real talent behind Seinfeld. That show even took a notable dip after LD left and anything Jerome has done since has been (Comedian. Bee Movie) average to awful. Therefore it's no surprise then that this latest show reportedly isn't capturing the old magic either. I guess we can be happy Curb Your Enthusiam is still kicking around in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I wouldn't mind Marriage Ref if the arguments weren't so stupid and made up. A few witty one-liners here and there, but I wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was the US one ever shown over here?

I see Dermot O’Leary will be presenting ITV′s version The Marriage Ref

Advertisement