Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sites near to villages, restaurants, pubs

Options
  • 22-04-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Just wondering about good sites within short walking distances to towns, villages, restaurants, pubs.

I'm not a lover of "wild camping" and use sites but jeez many of these are very isolated - great for the summer break and kids but not ideal for 1 or 2 overnights where you want easy access to pubs and eating out. Resent spots - Blarney and Sextons. Yea both are very good sites but not handy to the amenities (don't mention The Quill Bar next to Blarney site - that is not an attractive package).

All ye well travelled Boardies must have a few recommendations (like the site in Doolin as an example of what I mean)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Woodlands Tralee, Mannix Point Caherciveen, Tree Grove Kilkenny, those 3 would fit the bill for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Skibereen is close to the town. Camac Valley in Dublin is on a bus route so you can get into town easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Someone already mentioned Treegrove in Kilkenny, it's literally a 20 minute walk from the town centre. Stayed there last month for 3 nights, the site is basic but the location is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Have a look HERE, I believe Ballydehob, Co. Cork is soon to be listed also.

All are either local authority approved, privately run or community run overnight parking areas close to amenities, shops, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

Easkey has a brand new site right in the village,just opened last week, had a look in its not completely finished yet, think its 18e a night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Leitrim County Council have a lovely site with very modern toilet/showers etc. on the shores of Lough Rynn just down the road from Mohill. and it's very reasonably priced.

See HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Stranhill is good little village you can either wild camp or use the camp site but the beach is not safe for swimming. The beach bar at aughris head runs a basic restaurant with a brillant pub and good food. Nice walk around the head land good beach dunmoran strand is nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Lough lannagh in Castlebar.
    We stayed for 3 nights last summer and it's a wonderful site.
    They have their own cafe in site but it's a quick lakeside walk into the town.

The nice thing is that when your on the site you wouldn't know you were on the edge of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Duncannon holiday park in Wexford, great spot 2 min walk (across the beach) to the village. Pubs, takeaways, local shop and everything you need in spitting distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I like Duncannon, but 2 minute walk up the beach? Still a handy walk all the same.

Tree Grove is one of our favourite sites - everything you'd really want (well all we really want anyway) in a site. Handy for the town, through the park/ along the riverbank if you don't want to use the road.

Rosses Point has the hotel and a few restaurants and takeaways handy to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Benbecul97 wrote: »

Its really expensive to stay especially now they've jacked up the price, no beach, town is a looong walk unless you pay to walk through the house especially after they close the pedestrian access, and everything the kids want to do there costs an arm and aleg. Feels like a run in with captain Gallagher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Lots of great safe overnight parking in places like Howth, Cobh, Galway and Carlingford where you'll be with other motorhomers and just minutes walk from restaurants and bars. We have 3 children are very rarely stay in Irish campsites- I prefer to spend the money on eating out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

moodrater wrote: »
    Its really expensive to stay especially now they've jacked up the price, no beach, town is a looong walk unless you pay to walk through the house especially after they close the pedestrian access, and everything the kids want to do there costs an arm and aleg. Feels like a run in with captain Gallagher.
    Have they closed the pedestrian access that brings you out by the hotel and onto the road that lidl is on? That'd really put me off the place tbh.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Have they closed the pedestrian access that brings you out by the hotel and onto the road that lidl is on? That'd really put me off the place tbh.

Its closed in the early evening, nice surprise when you're strolling back after dinner. Wouldn't be surprised if the owners were moonlighting as taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Its really expensive to stay especially now they've jacked up the price,
    €20 per night for 2 adults + 2 children + electric for high season when booked in advance is the cheapest campsite I know of.
    no beach,
    OP didn't mention a beach.
    town is a looong walk unless you pay to walk through the house especially after they close the pedestrian access,
    Huh pay to walk through the house!? There is now a new entrance to the Camping and Caravan Park via the Golf Course Road. Via this route its 2km to the town centre.

Via the old route the quay area - with pubs/restaurants//hotels - is a 10 minute walk. And there is also a pub / restaurant onsite.
    and everything the kids want to do there costs an arm and aleg. Feels like a run in with captain Gallagher.
    Go during the Westport Music Festival when all kids activities are free!

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    €20 per night for 2 adults + 2 children + electric for high season when booked in advance is the cheapest campsite I know of.
    €20 sounds ok was that the offer they had earlier with the new booking system? According to the site and booking system now its €35 off season, €37 on season minus 5% for booking online. In our case + €5 for the reluctant teen making it about the same as we've paid for holiday homes in cork, kerry and clare.

I can see how it would appeal to some but the new entrance would be too much of a hike to town for our smallies, I hadn't really thought about the quay area though as estuaries and mud are a huge turnoff for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I tried to stay in Westport house on two occasions last year. 1st time it was closed due to some special event. On the 2nd time it turns out dogs are not allowed (we have a very friendly cocker mix that just sleeps in the cab most of the time).

Not impressed. It's a pity as Westport is such a nice town. Ended up heading to Achill on both occasions.

samih wrote: »
    I tried to stay in Westport house on two occasions last year. 1st time it was closed due to some special event. On the 2nd time it turns out dogs are not allowed (we have a very friendly cocker mix that just sleeps in the cab most of the time).

Not impressed. It's a pity as Westport is such a nice town. Ended up heading to Achill on both occasions.

It's amazing the number of towns and villages in Ireland where businesses do well because of decent campsite/ designated overnight motorhome parking space/ safe welcoming parking. The opposite is also true (Roscommon being an obvious example).

Motorhomers spend money! We don't all spend the evenings sitting in our vans frying sausages and eating tins of beans lol.

MammaZita wrote: »
    It's amazing the number of towns and villages in Ireland where businesses do well because of decent campsite/ designated overnight motorhome parking space/ safe welcoming parking. The opposite is also true (Roscommon being an obvious example).

Motorhomers spend money! We don't all spend the evenings sitting in our vans frying sausages and eating tins of beans lol.

There are places who charge €30+ per night for a pitch who are determined you won't have any money left to spend locally.
    What a rip off for a pitch and a hook up.
    Two that I know of who would fit the bill for town, shops & food nearby are in that B & B price rate territory.
    I must say that I avoid them like the plague.

• Advertisement

pastense wrote: »
    There are places who charge €30+ per night for a pitch who are determined you won't have any money left to spend locally.
    What a rip off for a pitch and a hook up.
    Two that I know of who would fit the bill for town, shops & food nearby are in that B & B price rate territory.
    I must say that I avoid them like the plague.

I'm of the very same mindset- we have 3 young children and don't bother with campsites in Ireland at all anymore. Sadly with the Irish weather I don't consider being cooped up in a campervan for 2 or 3 nights for the guts of €40 per night cooking where I sleep to be any kind of break. We go away often but either wildcamp or park overnight in the places I mentioned earlier. That way we can go for a meal/drink etc and it feels like a nice break. I'm not overly fond of campsites unless the weather is good enough to cook and eat outside. The towns with the aires are where I'll spend my money.

I must say it's the top price ones I avoid, we mostly use Campsites but I refuse to be ripped off.
    Of all the Campsites that I have visited in Ireland only one stands out for facilities and investment by the owner to enhance the experience without charging an excessive nightly rate and that is Nagles in Doolin.
    That playground and the quality of the pitches and the showers and toilet block and I believe a new kitchen are an example of how to do it. Fair play to them.

The last campsite we stayed in was close to Fota island. Don't know how much it cost but it was an absolute dive. I couldn't even use the showers or toilets- they hadn't been updated since the 70's. Discovered the aire in Cobh the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

MammaZita wrote: »
    The last campsite we stayed in was close to Fota island. Don't know how much it cost but it was an absolute dive. I couldn't even use the showers or toilets- they hadn't been updated since the 70's. Discovered the aire in Cobh the next day!

We are well warned so; I agree with your earlier posts - we need more Cobh's, Galways etc - I do like sites too though an happy to support the good ones that meet our criteria for near amenities - Doolin is an example of both location and convenient to food/pub

Advertisement