Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Word on Mac sending as 'binary file'

Options
  • 24-10-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry, bit of a Luddite here, so not sure where to start.
    In the last week or so, I have gotten emails from a few people saying they 'cannot open the word doc' I sent. I put it down to the individual docs, but I did a few tests and this is what is happening.
    I have an ibook laptop btw.

Here's what happens:
    I open word fine, write a doc, save it normally to desktop.
    I then attach the doc, and send.
    There receiver (whether me or not, I sent one to myself), when trying to open this, gets a pop-up message saying 'this is a binary file, would you like to save it" there is a http ref, and obviously the 'save' and 'cancel' buttons.
    Now, if I DO chose to save it myself, and open it on my computer, it opens fine and shows as a word doc!!

But, it seems to be random when it opens, some people click on it and it opens like above, for others, it doesn't.
    Either way, people are binning the docs if they don't know.

The only thing I can think I did recently is throw out some docs files to clean up desktop.
    Also, I had a fairly faulty (I realised) jump drive, that I used a couple of weeks ago with this computer.

I am stumped. It seems to be word itself. I tried emailing with both yahoo and gmail, and same result.

Any help much appreciated, thank you!!

Advertisement