Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Keyboard Startup.

Options
  • 23-10-2008 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭

I have an MSI P6n Platinum Mobo with the latest revision BIOS.

I also use a USB keyboard.

My problem is that the system does not recognise the keyboard until it reaches the Windows logon screen (XP Pro).

This is fine for normal operation but is an issue when I try to access the BIOS on startup because the keyboard has not yet been detected.

I have to connect a PS2 keyboard before I'm able to access the BIOS.

I have been through the BIOS settings and the only thing I can see there that might be related is "USB Legacy Support" but this is already enabled.

Any ideas?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Not familiar with that mobo but is there anything in BIOS under Integrated Peripherals or similar ? Specifically USB keyboard support ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

nessyguin wrote: »
    Not familiar with that mobo but is there anything in BIOS under Integrated Peripherals or similar ? Specifically USB keyboard support ...

The only thing in the Integrated Peripherals section is the "USB Legacy Support" which is enabled. As far as I know it is this that allows the use of USB mouse & keyboard during boot up.

Anyway, I know what the issue is now & I wasn't thinking when I wrote the first post. My system is also connected to a four port USB KVM switch (should have mentioned this originally :o) & if I connect the USB keyboard directly to any of the system USB ports prior to boot it will allow me to access the BIOS but then I have to unplug it & return it to the KVM switch afterwards. A pain in the butt, but it is a bit better than having to get and connect a PS2 keyboard.

I wonder could this little annoyance be overcome in any way?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

2 USB keyboards , maybe ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

2 USB keyboards , maybe ?

Ouch!

I know it's an option but, Ouch!

I'd prefer to swap the connections when needed than have two keyboards attached.

Why is the KVM not being detected until it boots as far as the Windows login screen? or can it be detected before that?

-

• Advertisement

Lol !

Wont even attempt to answer the KVM issue as I dont have a clue .

Seriously though , do you access BIOS often enough to need a resolution to this ? Just being curious , not critical :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,646 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Test another Usb keyboard if you have one, if that is not the problem I think your stuck with it unless a Bios revision comes out that fixes the issue.

Lol !

Wont even attempt to answer the KVM issue as I dont have a clue .

Seriously though , do you access BIOS often enough to need a resolution to this ? Just being curious , not critical :)

No I don't really access it that often :)

I'm just one of those who hates it when I have an unresolved issue, no matter how small :D

The KVM doesn't have or require drivers so I'd imagine it's only going to work in the Windows environment & that might be the long & short of it.

Thanks for the replies though...

-

Boggles wrote: »
    Test another Usb keyboard if you have one, if that is not the problem I think your stuck with it unless a Bios revision comes out that fixes the issue.

Me thinks you could be right there Boggles :(

-

Biggins wrote: »

I might stick that hidusb.sys file from Win98 on a floppy & see if that does anything ;)

-

• Advertisement

As you might have guessed I go for the simple fixes ... and then keep fixing til I need help in getting back to square one ;)

In that spirit I suggest to you the wireless keyboard with two transmitters :D

As you might have guessed I go for the simple fixes ... and then keep fixing til I need help in getting back to square one ;)

In that spirit I suggest to you the wireless keyboard with two transmitters :D

I wonder if I could rework the key fob from my car & see if i could ZAP IT! :D

-

Now you're in the zone !!

I'll check back in the morning to see how you got on :)

I have the soldering iron out so keep your fingers crossed :eek:

-

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There should be a option in the bios which states USB keyboard/Mouse=Controlled by OS/Bios. Set it to Bios.

Well, I was working away on the key fob when I heard a loud noise outside my house :eek:

When I went to check it out I discovered that my car had apparently started itself & drove out the drive straight into the neighbours '08 registered 7 series BMW :o

It's amazing what you can do with a soldering iron and a bit of ingenuity :D

God knows what would have happened if I ran with the two wireless keyboard transmitters :P

Seriously though, here's what was causing the issue.

My USB KVM was connected to a four port USB PCI card installed in my machine & of course Windows needed to be loaded in order for the card drivers to be picked up :rolleyes: (I should have twigged it sooner).

Anyway, I unplugged the KVM USB connector & connected it to one of the USB ports on the mainboard itself & Wah! La! it is detecting the keyboard straight away on boot so I can now use it to access the BIOS.

Does anyone know how to reverse engineer a reversed engineered car key fob? :cool:

Now there is someone banging real hard on my front door :mad:

I hope it's not the neighbour :)

-

Advertisement