Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to.... Drain down your MH for winter.

Options
  • 23-11-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this will help save you from bursting taps!

First, find your fresh water tank, usually under the lounge or dinette seat ;

6639FE3C-7BFE-477F-B705-BADE6211E7A5_zps8vegxquh.jpg

Unscrew the big plastic cap if there is one;
    803F73D9-8B81-423C-9DE2-CE2505EE44DB_zpsrs8fdvtm.jpg

And reach in , find the bung or stopper and remove it.
    6935AC77-AAB6-42A5-957C-091F76C00119_zpsvatebrmk.jpg

You may have a tap on the outside if you can't find a bung, generally looks something like this ;
    5DC08948-D206-4617-8E17-F0138B7F6C9C_zpsyerwv2lb.jpg
    You want to have the tap "in line" with the direction of water.

Next, make sure the pump is off , and open all taps. If they are mixer types, turn the handle to the middle.
    EE128D09-2053-40F1-B563-794EFBFF0792_zpsiojowz29.jpg

Very important to take the shower hose and lie it with the hose facing downwards.
    72C5D8FE-BEB2-44C6-927C-195E9E690A7E_zpsq5zgfxix.jpg

Next, find your water boiler, there are 4 common drains on the Truma boilers.
    The current type, twist the top til the blue button pops out;
    AADB7A2C-1CE6-4429-ADA2-9538396D4281_zpsp8nedfc0.jpg

The previous one, make sure the red button is DOWN, it should be automatic but they can stick or get wedged;
    862BBDE0-D98A-4E98-982F-FA6D9498E81F_zpsixg46r5m.jpg

Then there's 2 older styles , the manual lever type, plastic or metal bodies , and different colour levers, regardless of type you want the lever pointing UP ;

1826643B-2BE8-445B-AEC1-0722AAFB3EDA_zpsrno5hrlo.jpg

Or like the one on the BLUE line in this pic ;
    727A58BE-C570-4DFD-893D-F45446C8B5FD_zpswkgaphuk.jpg

It should be noted that some MHs have similar valves for draining the pipes, again any you see, open as above.

Now, go have a cuppa....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Now, tea/coffee drank, back out to the MH, which by now should have an empty water tank and boiler.

Turn on the pump, generally a switch on the control panel line these;
    D7C043B5-62A6-488F-B721-D21F08AB40A1_zpsuzcjwgpc.jpg

9A2E7BB9-0E7F-4D40-8ADC-036539DB8EC5_zpspfheoagd.jpg

And go to the loo and press the flush a few times ;
    430E8885-34C0-4FAC-8E3A-A8CA788DB8EB_zpswcff2jj3.jpg

Might be no harm to have a look at the pump if it's the bigger external type and be sure the filter isn't cracked. You can drain these too by unscrewing them and catching the water on towels.
    0EC16BBB-70B8-47D8-B0BD-FDF85583941B_zpsmru0qmvb.jpg

By now the pump should have pretty well pushed all the water out of the system. If so, turn off the pump.

I'd open the waste tank valve as well , no point carry ice in there! Usually a stock simple external valve

6906FB02-019B-4258-AEDF-A64EC734222E_zpsivtwnakb.jpg

Now , relax in the knowledge you have done as best you can to save your MH from the cold.

I'll cover toilets and carver boilers in a day or so.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

well done. A timely reminder

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Great tips that I followed when you posted them - thanks!

So when you now refill the fresh water tank for the new season,

Are there any tips that should be followed for getting the fresh water back into the boiler/taps?

Does it take long for the water from the fresh water tank to reach the boiler/taps etc etc?

Thanks

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Great tips that I followed when you posted them - thanks!

So when you now refill the fresh water tank for the new season,

Are there any tips that should be followed for getting the fresh water back into the boiler/taps?

Does it take long for the water from the fresh water tank to reach the boiler/taps etc etc?

Thanks

Water in the tank , pump on, all hot taps open and it'll take anywhere from 4-10 minutes depending on the size of your system and the power of your pump. Once clear water is coming , turn to cold for a few seconds , then flush the loo. The first time you turn on the boiler you will get some bubbles.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Water in the tank , pump on, all hot taps open and it'll take anywhere from 4-10 minutes depending on the size of your system and the power of your pump. Once clear water is coming , turn to cold for a few seconds , then flush the loo. The first time you turn on the boiler you will get some bubbles.

Ok, sound thanks alot.

Excuse my ignorance but "The first time you turn on the boiler you will get some bubbles" where should I be watching out for these bubbles?

• Advertisement

Out of the taps!

Out of the taps!

...bubbles??

Frothy water for the first few seconds.

Frothy water for the first few seconds.

ahhhh...Tuigim! :D

I filled the water tank, and turned on the pump and water poured from both the hot and cold taps. So sorted there.

The problem is with the boiler. I drained the boiler a few months back but when I tried to heat the water today no joy. Its a Malaga boiler and when I turn it ON no LED light comes on, sometimes it flickers, but it did not heat the water. I remember before that when it was turned to OFF sometimes the LED light would still flicker. It has heated the water before.

Any ideas whats wrong? Faulty switch? Faulty LED?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

You sure that there is water in the boiler?
    Also, if this is the first time that you have lit the boiler since last year, it may be a bit tempermental......just takes a few on/off attempts to get it going

Assume it is gas? - all gas valves open?

Malta1 wrote: »
    You sure that there is water in the boiler
    Excuse my ignorance, but how do I check this? I drained the boiler for the winter. I have refilled the fresh water tank many times in the last few weeks. How does the water get from the fresh water tank to the boiler?
    Also, if this is the first time that you have lit the boiler since last year, it may be a bit tempermental......just takes a few on/off attempts to get it going
    Lit the boiler? Do you mean switch it on?
    Assume it is gas? - all gas valves open?
    In the past to operate the boiler there is a switch in the van to flick it on/off - that's all I've done. I've no idea if the gas valve also needs to be open for the water to heat. In the past when the water has heated I cant remember if the gas valve was open or not.

The control panel in the van for the water heater just says "Malaga" and has a ON/OFF switch.

Advertisement