Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housetraining Puppy

Options
  • 13-09-2010 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have a 12 week old goldendoodle and have had him for about 4 weeks and delighted with him, HOWEVER, he seems to be really slow on the house training buzz.

When he's inside, we bring him out every hour to the same place to relieve himself and he does it. Plenty of praise and back inside but he never goes to the door himself if he wants to go out and is having accidents of both poo and pee. Seems to go in the house about once a week since we've had him and just when you think you're getting somewhere he has an accident. Seems clever and obeys commands sit, paw and bed and we've only just starting teaching him those but I'd perfer if he mastered house training!

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Congrats on your little baby :D He's still a baby and won't have full control for a while yet so it could just be an accident. Also you need to make sure you clean where he goes to the loo inside to remove any scent or else he'll keep going back to it- if you're lazy you can buy 'get off my lawn' spray (not the gel stuff) in the pet shop/garden centre and it'll get rid of their scent. You're doing the right thing so just give it time maybe take him out every hour or every 30 mins if needs be. How is he at night? We crated our guy at night and I found it made him learn quicker. I can't believe it was a year ago now that I was running out with him in the middle of the night for poo patrol lol!! Our pup is a golden retriever and apparently they learn to be house trained quickly enough (which may be a load of rubbish but other GR owners told me that) our guy was trained by 3 months so hopefully you guy has inherited that part from his GR mammy/daddy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

Seems to go in the house a diff place each time so dont think its a cleaning issue.

At night he's in a pen in the garage with a crate in it. He sleeps in the crate and gets up and goes to the toilet outside his crate. Have a crate for insde too which he doesnt like at all! I put him in it when he goes asleep and more often he'll lie there for 5 mins, wake up and come back outside again. Started closing the door on it then and he sometimes stays, sometimes whines whines whines.

Yes, hopefully he'll wake up and smell the coffee soon enough. Prob being a bit inpatient but frustrating when you think your getting there and then theres an accident! Or worse and people tell you they're dog was housetrained in a couple of weeks!

Did you give your G.R much exercise in the beginning? Taking him for one 15 min walks per day as nervouse I'll do damage.

Very cute guy though and very hard to be mad with him. He actually is like our baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

yolanda wrote: »
    Did you give your G.R much exercise in the beginning? Taking him for one 15 min walks per day as nervouse I'll do damage.

I stuck to 5 mins per month of age - thank god because our guy has developed problems with his legs :( so really glad I didn't over exercise him and do more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pougle

Hello Yolanda,
    Congrats on the puppy. I have a 4 month old retriever who has been housetrained for the last month. We had a few accidents in the first few weeks. I’m no dog expert but I know that a dog will not want to ‘go’ where they sleep. Our dog sleeps in the kitchen. When he is left unsupervised he’s in the kitchen too. They will learn quite quickly that it’s better to wait a few hours to go outside than sleep close to a wet newspaper. We never corrected him for going in the kitchen. When he is in the rest of the house we keep an eye on him. When he would try to go in the house we would pick him up as he was going and bring him to the garden followed by a stern ‘no’. With our pup we find he only wishes to please. If he understands what you want he’ll do it hence I find you can only correct an unwanted behaviour at the time he does it and not afterwards. As for the whining, it sounds mean but you should correct that as your pup is protesting. As I say I’m no expert but it worked for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well what worked for us was treats treats and more treats, everytime he went outside he got a treat and loads of attention, and he sooned figured out how to get a treat, I'm sure he just pretented to be going the odd time to get a treat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well what worked for us was treats treats and more treats, everytime he went outside he got a treat and loads of attention, and he sooned figured out how to get a treat, I'm sure he just pretented to be going the odd time to get a treat

Yeah same with my pup!

Brinigng him out each time, he will learn that's the place to go. Do it every hour or so. I'm not if he could last the entire night without going at 12 weeks.

Advertisement