Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often does your dog wee?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Strange question, I know!

But I don't have that much doggy experience and I'm wondering if my new dog is going too much. He seems to go every hour and a half/2 hours on average.

For example tonight: He went at 7pm, after his evening food. He came inside and snoozed for a while. At 9pm I thought I'd better bring him outside (didn't want an accident) and sure enough he pee'd immediately. Grand. Brought him back inside. Now at 10pm he perked up and started roaming the room - I was suprised but I copped on and brought him out again. Pee'd immediately.

So that's 3 times in 3 hours, basically. Keep in mind that his water bowl isn't in here, it's outside the back door; so since 7 he's just had a quick passing lick on his way back inside. It's not as if he's been drinking loads this evening. (Though now that I think of it we soak his dry food in a load of water so he would have ingested about a bowlful at 6.30pm whilst eating - don't know if that makes any difference though)

But he's like this always - he's a frequent pee-er. So it's not new behaviour - but it seems a lot to me.

Is this everyone elses experience also? I hope so! I'm worried there's a urinary tract infection or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What age is he? How much water does he drink?

Don't worry about a UTI unless there's white spots in his pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How old is your dog?

Males would pee a lot more than females and tend to mark as well as actually needing the loo.

Can i ask why you leave the water outside? Your dog should have access water all the time. He might want to go outside so he can get some water.

Food soaked in water wouldnt really be counted as water in take for them.Some dogs drink a lot of water, some dont but i would make sure your dog has access to water all the time.

My male pees all the time if he could, mostly marking. But i could keep him indoors for 4 or 5 hours and he wouldnt ask to go out.

All dogs are different. Is your dog on any type of medication? As this can make some dogs pee a lot more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Some of my boys would pee every half hour if we let them out to do so! Doesn't sound too strange that he would just go when let out, esp if he is intact. Your dog should have constant access to water, both inside and outside (if he spends any period of time out there other than to go to the toilet). If this behaviour is not unusual for him then don't worry - he's just being a male!

If you are worried about a UTI it is usually indicated by very dodgy smelling pee, peeing in the house or urgency to go out a million times a day and excessive drinking. Some dogs get very down in themselves too (but not all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

He's 2.

As for leaving the water outside, it's only in the very late evening as the rest of the time the back door is open and he goes in and out freely. I leave it open till it literally gets too cold which tonight was about 8.30 I guess. He wouldn't be going out for it much though. Also, when I brought him outside tonight he didn't actually bother with the water the last time, and it's not like I was hurrying him or anything.

So yeah, he's not a big drinker at all. Not that he's doing a camel impression or anything, but he's not one that is gulping it down to beat the band. I fill the bowl with fresh water every morning and by night it's only halfway down, for example. The only times he's finished it was on the very hot days.

He sleeps outside at the moment so has his water out there, but of course when he comes inside when the nights get bad I'll be leaving water inside for him all night.

He's not on any medication. Now he's housetrained and in fairness if I hadn't let him out he may very well have "held it" and I wouldn't even have realised - how would I have known? But I hate the thought of that.

Edited: are males and females different with frequency? I didn't realise there was a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

trio wrote: »
    Edited: are males and females different with frequency? I didn't realise there was a difference.

Definitely - my males could pee for Ireland (and so could most) while bitches are very picky as to when they go (except when in heat - quite a bit of peeing!), mine could go 4 times in 24 hours and not have a problem - esp if it's wet out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

How true! My female would rather tie a knot in her legs than go out in the rain - she a proper little diva! And she looks at me as if its my fault that it's raining!
    However my male is a different story - he just has to go! In the morning he waits until she goes and then he wees on top of it! During the day if they are inside and I have taken my eye off them, he will go wherever he is. However, at night (they both sleep inside) he never goes and is well able to hold it in till morning.
    He drinks alot more than she does as well - and sleeps alot less. And he could dig for Ireland, while she never bothers.
    There's big differences between males and females!! Love to know what differences other people have found!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Theres a big difference (in males) between having to pee and just marking their territory.

As far as peeing is concerned on a rainy day our male can get away with twice daily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Ah well guys, I suppose I'll just relax. You'd never know - maybe he's just conditioned that being lead outside = pee time. He's a rescue so God knows.

I'll try to not be so paranoid as it doesn't sound like a UTI. I'm just a fretful new owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I have two females and they pee more than our male dog. When one pees the other will pee on top of that pee and they regularly mark their territory.
    Some dogs do pee more than others he might just have a weaker bladder than some dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have 3 bitches and a dog and he will probably match their entire collective output for the day! Every hour or so I open the door to see if they need it, the girls will go out have a sniff and back in (probably wee every 4th or 5th trip) whereas he will wee one every tree, stump, basically anything about 5/6 times every hour :rolleyes: He has also been known to wee on the bitches heads if they stand still long enough:D

He does drink a whole lot more than them which could be put down to size (he's a springer the rest are jacks) if it wasn't for the fact that he could empty the dish after the rest have had a sup :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Ive gotten to the stage where I just leave the back door open,ive 3 dogs and a cat so someone always wants to go out:)My eldest boxer who is 11 could pee for Ireland :)

Advertisement