Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat was limping, ok now, what was it?

Options
  • 13-09-2010 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Ok hers's the story.

On Saturday afternoon my cat was limping badly on his one of his front paws. Couldn't put any pressure on it. He didn't seem in distress or pain apart from walkng funny.
    Rang vet right away, who was closed at the time, and said as he didn't seem in pain or any thing bring him in first thing Sunday. No need for out of hours call.
    On sunday morning he had a very very slight limp and a couple hours later limp was completly gone and walking fine. Didn't bring him to vet after all.

So my question is what was it? Really bad cat cramp? Anyone else had something similar? Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If the cat's fine now I wouldn't worry about it. :) My cats sometimes will be limping but will get better after a day or two. I guess they just hurt their leg when running around but nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

They can strain ligaments which results in limping. They can get injuries like a twist or strain that causes them to hold the paw up. Could also have dislocated a kneecap or some other random injury

With limps with no obvious break or visible skin tear, you can try restricting the cat's movement for 48 hours - keep him crated or in one room, and stop him jumping or leaping, and the injury can resolve itself. Obviously not something to do if you suspect a break, he's dragging the limb, or is in pain as opposed to discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Probably just over did it OP. Our pup was actually the same over the weekend after being at his little daycare so I kept him on his lead and short walks over the weekend and he's not hopping around anymore. But I'll probably take him to the vet anyways because he's due his boosters in a few weeks and I stress out all the time about him because he has problems with his legs! Whats the cat like if you touch the paw? Our guy doesn't like it if I touch the paw so I think it's sore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

muppet_man wrote: »
    Ok hers's the story.

On Saturday afternoon my cat was limping badly on his one of his front paws. Couldn't put any pressure on it. He didn't seem in distress or pain apart from walkng funny.
    Rang vet right away, who was closed at the time, and said as he didn't seem in pain or any thing bring him in first thing Sunday. No need for out of hours call.
    On sunday morning he had a very very slight limp and a couple hours later limp was completly gone and walking fine. Didn't bring him to vet after all.

So my question is what was it? Really bad cat cramp? Anyone else had something similar? Any ideas?

Thanks

could be one of absolutely any number of things muppet man...i know that probably isnt much help.

but as an example....couple of weeks ago I was on the green playing with the dog....cat was close by hunting spiders flies etc....saw her then stalking a wasp, before I could stop her she was on it....30 seconds later began alot of paw licking and inevitable limping.

If i hadnt been there I wouldnt have had a clue what caused it...but a couple of days later she was right as rain.

I guess, long story short...if hes ok now I wouldnt worry too much about it. If you can take a quick look at all pads etc, just make sure they dont look cut or have anything stuck in them

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

tk123 wrote: »
    Whats the cat like if you touch the paw?
    kopfan77 wrote: »
    I guess, long story short...if hes ok now I wouldnt worry too much about it. If you can take a quick look at all pads etc, just make sure they dont look cut or have anything stuck in them

Thanks all.
    He was back to his normal self yesterday. He managed to break out of his cat flap which was blocked and locked which, for him, is quite normal ;).
    Even when he was limping he had no problem with me examining has paws and all looked well.
    If it was a wasp sting I wouldn't be suprised as he's always hunting and eating bugs or maybe he just strained something by over doing it as sweeper said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement