Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP won't open USB drive previously used in Vista

• 21-10-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi,

am in a bit of trouble here... :(

I wiped and installed XPSP2 Professional on a machine that was previously running Vista Home Premium as the machine was crawling. The guy who owns it copied all his files onto an external USB drive before I did the install.

Now the USB drive installs okay on XP, but it won't open. It won't open on another Vista machine either. Apparently Vista by default encrypts all data going to an external drive... I did not know this and this guy has about 50GB of stuff on the drive.

There has to be, must be a work around somewhere....?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

onechewy wrote: »
    Hi,

am in a bit of trouble here... :(

I wiped and installed XPSP2 Professional on a machine that was previously running Vista Home Premium as the machine was crawling. The guy who owns it copied all his files onto an external USB drive before I did the install.

Now the USB drive installs okay on XP, but it won't open. It won't open on another Vista machine either. Apparently Vista by default encrypts all data going to an external drive... I did not know this and this guy has about 50GB of stuff on the drive.

There has to be, must be a work around somewhere....?!?

Encryption with windows is generally tied into the user account, so if this has been deleted you are going to find it difficult to retrieve the data, I would submit a ticket to Microsoft support if I were you and see if there is anything they can do for you

Advertisement