Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best gaeltacht course

Options
  • 24-06-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I was just wondering what is the best gaeltacht course (ideally in Connemara) for Leaving Certs... I would like the course to begin in the next few days if possible because I am going on holidays late July!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

Coláiste Sheosaimh in Connemara is a well known college and it has a three week course starting on June 28th. I went there myself before Leaving Cert and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 westerngirl323

A few of my friends are going to Colaiste Chamuis. I have never gone to the Gaeltacht myself but from what I've heard this is apparantly a good course. It starts on the 27th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lalalau1

Thank you for your help! I rang Colaiste Chamuis and they only have spaces in An Tulach and Camus! I have only heard of people going to Ros a Mhil anyone have any experience with the other centres?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The 'best' course is the one you enjoy most and at which you feel your Irish improves most. Unless someone has gone around all the Gaeltachts and managed to have different levels of Irish to assess their improvment in each one, no one can give you a definitive answer.

People tend to go back to the one their friends/relatives/school went to and are loyal to that college. It doesn't mean it is the 'best' for someone else.

You make any college the best it can be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lalalau1

spurious wrote: »
    The 'best' course is the one you enjoy most and at which you feel your Irish improves most. Unless someone has gone around all the Gaeltachts and managed to have different levels of Irish to assess their improvment in each one, no one can give you a definitive answer.

People tend to go back to the one their friends/relatives/school went to and are loyal to that college. It doesn't mean it is the 'best' for someone else.

You make any college the best it can be for you.

Thank you for your help, although I have heard that in certain Gaeltachts the speak Irish only rule is not particularly well enforced! I know of friends that went to a College in Connemara and they never spoke one word of irish except when teachers were around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 LCBanter

lalalau1 wrote: »
    Thank you for your help! I rang Colaiste Chamuis and they only have spaces in An Tulach and Camus! I have only heard of people going to Ros a Mhil anyone have any experience with the other centres?

I'm a Tulach student! Have to say I love the place and I can't wait to go back in July :) If you have any questions,don't hesitate to PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Help1997

If you want a course that is strict when it comes to speaking irish , Colaiste na bhfiann is the one to go to. I went to rosmuc last year and it improved my irish so much for my irish oral because of how strict the irish rule was.

Advertisement