Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applied Maths aftermath

• 19-06-2015 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

didnt see one and wasnt sure if the general should be used...
    Wtf was that projectile question?
    I think that was the hardest app. Maths exam in a while? All the questions seemed really long

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Somehow I missed the shortest distance q in question 2, no ****ing idea how I missed it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PotmBottom

I couldn't do 3(a) at all, very tough question I thought, does it matter if your angle is incorrect for the following parts of the question? Our teacher never told us how it's marked really. I thought 1,10 and 5 were lovley, 4 was good as well. For someone who was a d3 student at my pre I'm delighted how far I've come.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

PotmBottom wrote: »
    I couldn't do 3(a) at all, very tough question I thought, does it matter if your angle is incorrect for the following parts of the question? Our teacher never told us how it's marked really. I thought 1,10 and 5 were lovley, 4 was good as well. For someone who was a d3 student at my pre I'm delighted how far I've come.
    I only got q3 when i realised Sy was -3 not 0.. Had to use a lot of identities to get there.. Could not do part b, attempted it many ways but couldnt get it. I felt like every part iii of a question was a trick and it really worried me.. Like the speed of the particle when it starts moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

I wrote Sy was -3 but still got weird answers but hopefully i'll get the marks for the method :P

AlfaJack wrote: »
    I wrote Sy was -3 but still got weird answers but hopefully i'll get the marks for the method :P

same.. i had like Cos^2A, converted it to Cos2A and then to Tan^2a+1 or something, i got a negative angle so I dont eve know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

The way do do 3 a) was to make Sy(0) =3.
    I thought it was a lovely test. Definitely much easier that year. I didn't do it, but 4b looked the hardest on the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I avoided the projectiles, other than that seemed alright.

For the particles with the loose string, did P begin to move at the same speed as Q was a split second earlier?

I did as well, like tan = 24 or 27 or something and -.17, very odd, tried it 4 or 5 times and couldn't get a different answer, perhaps there is something wrong with the q? Did they leave some information out? I used the fact that 1/cos^x = 1+tan^x and I couldn't get it.

I avoided the projectiles, other than that seemed alright.

For the particles with the loose string, did P begin to move at the same speed as Q was a split second earlier?

I'm not sure, I calculated the new acceleration but it was still an acceleration not deceleration...... so the speed wouldnt have changed?

I did as well, like tan = 24 or 27 or something and -.17, very odd, tried it 4 or 5 times and couldn't get a different answer, perhaps there is something wrong with the q? Did they leave some information out? I used the fact that 1/cos^x = 1+tan^x and I couldn't get it.

That's what I got too, 17 or 27 and -.175 if i remember correctly, the numbers are vague but I was definitely in and around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 rooney1369

Were angles for 3(a) tan^-1 4/3 and tan^-1 3/4 as the only 2 possible triangles that can be made with hypotenuse of 50 are with sides 40 and 30 and 30 and 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rooney1369

rooney1369 wrote: »
    Were angles for 3(a) tan^-1 4/3 and tan^-1 3/4 as the only 2 possible triangles that can be made with hypotenuse of 50 are with sides 40 and 30 and 30 and 40?

Ah **** ignore my stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Over the moon with that paper, besides a few little bits I think i managed everything :D did Qs 2,3,4,5, 8, 10, and i was able to get the answer everytime they said "show blah = blah"
    Went in hoping for a B3, i'd be disappoited now if i don't manage an A :P thought it was much easier than last year, but the projectiles Q required a lot of thinking and visualising. IM SO GLAD IM FREE :D:D:D

Sy = -3 NOOOOO IM SUCH A FOOL, never gonna forgive myself for putting it equal to 0!!! xD

Kremin wrote: »
    That's what I got too, 17 or 27 and -.175 if i remember correctly, the numbers are vague but I was definitely in and around there.

88 degrees ring more of a bell?

Over the moon with that paper, besides a few little bits I think i managed everything :D did Qs 2,3,4,5, 8, 10, and i was able to get the answer everytime they said "show blah = blah"
    Went in hoping for a B3, i'd be disappoited now if i don't manage an A :P thought it was much easier than last year, but the projectiles Q required a lot of thinking and visualising. IM SO GLAD IM FREE :D:D:D

I did Q1,Q3,Q4,Q5,Q8,Q10
    Q10 was really handy, as was Q8 I thought.... do you remember what you got for x? I think i got 1/root12? I wasn't sure what the best method to differentiate T was and I remembered my teacher saying you can ignore the 2pi and square root as its periodic or something... hopefully I wasn't mistaken D=
    88 degrees ring more of a bell?

I didn't convert to degrees at all, it said values of TanB so I just left it as that?

I think so tan-1(28) should be your man

I did Q1,Q3,Q4,Q5,Q8,Q10
    Q10 was really handy, as was Q8 I thought.... do you remember what you got for x? I think i got 1/root12? I wasn't sure what the best method to differentiate T was and I remembered my teacher saying you can ignore the 2pi and square root as its periodic or something... hopefully I wasn't mistaken D=

I ended up with 2root3 i think, but not entirely sure if that was right! Bollix, didn't realise now that 2root3 is bigger than 0.5 oops :P

I ended up with 2root3 i think, but not entirely sure if that was right!

ah well, probably get a good few attempt marks whichever one of us is wrong anyway.

Realising a couple of stupid mistakes I made, maybe i shouldn't be so quick to think I did better than a B3 after all :P i'm just so glad I was able to give a decent attempt at 6 of them, that's the real success story!

I maintain that it was the easiest exam in years.
    Q1a was trivial and b wasn't much harder.
    Q2 was a complete reversion to predictable format
    Q3a was weirdly phrased, but the maths involved was predictable. Q3b was trivial
    Q4 I didn't do, but a) looked easy. b) looked harder.
    Q5 was the simplest such problem I've ever seen.
    Q6,Q7,Q8 I didn't look at, so I can't comment.
    Q9a has appeared on papers before. Q9b was strangely phrased again, but easy.
    Q10 was easier than the problems that appeared on Maths Paper 1 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 YouKnowNothing

Somehow managed to mess up 2b, other than that it should be OK

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    I maintain that it was the easiest exam in years.
    Q1a was trivial and b wasn't much harder.
    Q2 was a complete reversion to predictable format
    Q3a was weirdly phrased, but the maths involved was predictable. Q3b was trivial
    Q4 I didn't do, but a) looked easy. b) looked harder.
    Q5 was the simplest such problem I've ever seen.
    Q6,Q7,Q8 I didn't look at, so I can't comment.
    Q9a has appeared on papers before. Q9b was strangely phrased again, but easy.
    Q10 was easier than the problems that appeared on Maths Paper 1 this year.

I couldn't believe that Q10 I saw, I was so screwed if a standard part (a) came up, I always found those tough. It was so standard mathsy it was great.

Btw, is the distance the section between the two curves on the graph?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 2345

for Q10bii
    anyone get around 3000
    I couldn't believe that Q10 I saw, I was so screwed if a standard part (a) came up, I always found those tough. It was so standard mathsy it was great.

Btw, is the distance the section between the two curves on the graph?

yep got the same thing

2345 wrote: »
    yep got the same thing

2845 I think I got for it, I thought it was just the C value of the equation that you ignore because you are using limits in Part Two?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 2345

2845 I think I got for it, I thought it was just the C value of the equation that you ignore because you are using limits in Part Two?

i done C(160)-C(120)
    but i dont know if that is right

Yep. I do economics, so I was delighted with 10b. Anybody else think that they seem to be making applied maths more applied? More project mathsy?

Yep. I do economics, so I was delighted with 10b. Anybody else think that they seem to be making applied maths more applied? More project mathsy?

I think it's because of the removal of Integration by substitution they are kind of stuck for questions now. I am no expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

same.. i had like Cos^2A, converted it to Cos2A and then to Tan^2a+1 or something, i got a negative angle so I dont eve know.

I used u^2sin2a/g = 18.5, then found Sin2A = 0.07325 or something, then just solved it like you would in maths and got like 2 degrees and 88 degrees. I think it's wrong, but I derived the formula and then got 1 angle correct at least.. hopefully they don't crucify me lol

Q2 (a), what did ye get for the shortest distance? Also in 2(b) did anyone get the direction of the rain as 19 degrees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

my shortest distance was 0.64km or something like that

oh my

lads I think I might have scraped the B then, I was only looking to pass :')

2345 wrote: »
    yep got the same thing

Yeah at first i assumed the acceleration was constant but then i copped on integration was obviously required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Found that the exam was really tough. Started off with Relative velocity at the start and I thought it would have been a damage limitation exam. However, as I progressed, it was better and better! Went back to my mistakes, fixed them, and hopefully an A1.

Question 1 was hard enough. It's usually my weakest so I was happy to see I got it out.
    Question 2 was difficult for me. I always delayed equations until they're either directly East or North of eachother. Having no distances meant I had to improvise.
    Question 3 was actually pretty fair. I completely forgot about the three metres at the start. Then redid it and worked out then (hopefully!).
    I messed up a bit with question 4 part two of B. Forgot about the tension for forces up equal down.
    Question 5 and 10 were really easy.

Found that the exam was really tough. Started off with Relative velocity at the start and I thought it would have been a damage limitation exam. However, as I progressed, it was better and better! Went back to my mistakes, fixed them, and hopefully an A1.

Question 1 was hard enough. It's usually my weakest so I was happy to see I got it out.
    Question 2 was difficult for me. I always delayed equations until they're either directly East or North of eachother. Having no distances meant I had to improvise.
    Question 3 was actually pretty fair. I completely forgot about the three metres at the start. Then redid it and worked out then (hopefully!).
    I messed up a bit with question 4 part two of B. Forgot about the tension for forces up equal down.
    Question 5 and 10 were really easy.

For Q2 (rel vel) the secod part was easy enough, A was 2km east of B when B was at the intersection. What did you end up doing? Probably over complicated it

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickennuggets

For Q2 (rel vel) the secod part was easy enough, A was 2km east of B when B was at the intersection. What did you end up doing? Probably over complicated it

Was it not 1km east of b

Was it not 1km east of b

Nope, when B got to the intersection A had been travelling east at 60kmh for 2 minutes
    2 minutes is 1/30th of an hour
    1/30th of 60km is 2km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickennuggets

Nope, when B got to the intersection A had been travelling east at 60kmh for 2 minutes
    2 minutes is 1/30th of an hour
    1/30th of 60km is 2km

**** I only did it for 1 min Forget to multiply by 2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Could not be happier with that exam. I was so anxious about how it was going to go since I had put off studying it for the last week's to focus on other exams, and when I opened the paper I was like oh hell no this is horrible, and was beginning to settle for a C overall.

Started with Q4 as it's my best, which ironically turned out to be the hardest! It went well though, then moved onto Q5 which was piss, as was Q2, bar maybe a few mistakes, Q3a probably posed the greatest challenge but I figured it out and got it all out, bar maybe some minor slips. 3b was piss. Q10 seemed strange at first but turned out to be very simple and then Q1 went perfectly.

Was so worried that it was not going to go well and that I'd be on a serious downer finishing the LC, but now I couldn't be happier. B1 minimum or maybe an A1 if my slips weren't too serious.
    Delighted!

Oh wow, yeah I did overcomplicated it. I notice that I'm never up to speed with things at the start of an exam, and I've missed a pretty obvious thing there! I wasted a bit of time doing unnecessary work there, hopefully I still got the right answer (0.655km?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KevStar

Could a kind soul post a scan of the paper?

I hope you all did well!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

KevStar wrote: »
    Could a kind soul post a scan of the paper?

I hope you all did well!
    They're on examinations.ie

HL
    OL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

hopefully i'll get the marks for the method :P

You absolutely will.

Best to put it all behind yerselves now and just remember that it's graded on a curve so it'll be fine.

Pookla wrote: »
    You absolutely will.

Best to put it all behind yerselves now and just remember that it's graded on a curve so it'll be fine.

I was going to ask, is it similar to the old maths course with the blunder minus 3 and then it's marked normally, like if an incorrect acceleration causes an incorrect tension is it still marked correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

I was going to ask, is it similar to the old maths course with the blunder minus 3 and then it's marked normally, like if an incorrect acceleration causes an incorrect tension is it still marked correct?

Yes. Slips lose one mark, blunders lose 3 and a trivial misreading loses 1.

Everything after the mistake is marked as if you were correct so you only lose marks once per mistake.

It's a very fairly marked exam tbh. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

A nice paper. But also, I think, quite "fair" (the favourite adjective of teachers reviewing the exam in national papers). The b-parts of 1 and 10 were definitely too easy, but overall it was a standard, if not particularly challenging, paper. At present, C and D students are generally picking up their marks from setting up questions and not from actually getting near to the answers. A paper such as this one allows them to get marks for proper engagement with questions, while retaining a certain level of difficulty to differentiate between A and B, IMO.

Oh wow, yeah I did overcomplicated it. I notice that I'm never up to speed with things at the start of an exam, and I've missed a pretty obvious thing there! I wasted a bit of time doing unnecessary work there, hopefully I still got the right answer (0.655km?)

Yup, would've said I got about 0.64km but really anything arouns there is a matter of rounding :P out of curiosity, how did you go about working out working out that part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Question 3 (a) sums up that whoever is setting the papers has lost direction. Awful numbers right on the limit where you have an idea if you are right or wrong means your fate is in the hand of pure amateurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

lostatsea wrote: »
    Question 3 (a) sums up that whoever is setting the papers has lost direction. Awful numbers right on the limit where you have an idea if you are right or wrong means your fate is in the hand of pure amateurs.

It's not clear what your problem with it is. If you take away the picture (which makes it look like Project Maths) it's similar in style to the 2009 question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

The new guy was obviously given a slap on the wrist after last year - Q's much more approachable.

Yup, would've said I got about 0.64km but really anything arouns there is a matter of rounding :P out of curiosity, how did you go about working out working out that part?

I don't fully remember but it was something like this:

I used s=ut and let the distance from A to the junction equal x. Then s=ut for B and got the distance in terms of X.

I then drew a relative velocity line from B to wherever it crossed A (this was a bit confusing as I thought it would intersect ahead of A rather than behind, which made it all that bit more messy!).

I used the triangle [point intersects A, junction, and B]. Was able to use the sine rule to find the point it intersects A line in terms of X.

Then subtracted that from x to get the distance the relative velocity line was from A. This gave me another triangle and I was able to find the shortest distance with the Sine of the angle between Relative Velocity line and A line.

I wonder if that makes any sense at all lol.

The new guy was obviously given a slap on the wrist after last year - Q's much more approachable.

I guess I'm one of the only people who thought last years paper was a lot easier than this years :l

• Advertisement
Advertisement