Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Throwdown - September 5th & 6th, Ashling Hotel, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Anyone working on a youtube trailer yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Anyone working on a youtube trailer yet?

Ive heard a rumour of a whisper that it might be this week.

then again, I've been known to be wrong sometimes

As long as it ends with fade in/out text that goes:

TICK THROW

TIC THROW

CELTIC THROW

CELTIC THROWDOWN

I'll be happy.

On a background that white can be seen on obviously.

Time off work sorted and booked in for the weekend.

Now to not be Allen Iverson when it comes to practice.

Not only that but you booked and paid for you tickets online.

Legend. If everyone did that then the people who put up certain monies to make this event happen will have sleepier nights lol

TY Chopper

Link btw - bit.ly/cttickets

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

What's the Kappa Competitors Pass thing about?

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    What's the Kappa Competitors Pass thing about?

Tickets are available as follows

Competitors Pass (1 or 2 day): This entitles the competitor access to the event. (These are your kappa passes)
    Spectators Pass (1 or 2 day): This is to cater for non competitors to come into event. Limited amount due to limited space

(Main tournament) Tournament entry fees: Fairly straight forward. 1 tournament ticket allows you entry into one tournament. 2 for 2 and so on for 4 tournament pass. You are asked which tournaments when you purchase these tickets.

All side tournies will be entered and reg'd on the day and will be done separately.

Basically if you are going to win SF you buy a 2 day pass and a 1 tournament ticket. If you plan on also winning MKX, but the 2 tournament ticket. If you plan on scrubbing out and not making it to the second day, then you can avail of 1 day ticket.

The thinking behind this pricing structure. We are hosting our first 2 day event and making it bigger/better etc. This comes with extra costs associated. So we took the view that there would be a min threshold people would make to come to the event at all and then it wouldn't be linear extra costs above that. So if you are a beast you would spend 50 quid and have a weekend of gaming, 4 tournaments and an evenings entertainment (details tbd) on the Sat night at the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

So you won't be let back in to compete in top 8 or whatever if you only buy a 1 day ticket and happen to make it through to the second day? That seems a bit silly.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    So you won't be let back in to compete in top 8 or whatever if you only buy a 1 day ticket and happen to make it through to the second day? That seems a bit silly.

I would imagine that anyone who does that would simply be asked to pay the difference rather than charging them for another 1 day pass. I doubt anyone who might be in that position would disagree.

The 1 day pass is to facilitate anyone not in that group you described who might only be able to attend 1 day.

I mean, I was down to just charge everyone two day ticket only but it was thought that the option would be availed of by those who were only able to come on the sat or Sunday.

Anyone who knowingly buys a 1 day pass when they are likely to place top 8 in their tournament would just take the gamble and have to pay 2 1 days? I very much doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Tickets are available as follows

Competitors Pass (1 or 2 day): This entitles the competitor access to the event. (These are your kappa passes)
    Spectators Pass (1 or 2 day): This is to cater for non competitors to come into event. Limited amount due to limited space

(Main tournament) Tournament entry fees: Fairly straight forward. 1 tournament ticket allows you entry into one tournament. 2 for 2 and so on for 4 tournament pass. You are asked which tournaments when you purchase these tickets.

so to get it straight to play mkx (and get into top whatever) it will be e35? (e37 and change through the online booking)

also pm your progress with wb/nrs, phone was off for a few days when you text and when was talking to ciaran the other day he said you were talking to the condiment twins and got some emails. ill try get in contact with razer aswell, he might have a contact or two

so to get it straight to play mkx (and get into top whatever) it will be e35? (e37 and change through the online booking)

Yup. 40 for 2. That's the popular option.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

I just had a look at the pricing and i think it`s a little expensive and slightly confusing when ordering tickets. First of all, I would change the competitors pass to (venue entry or admission pass) because the competitors pass is slightly confusing. I think its important to make people aware that you can`t compete with a competitors pass, so i would definitely change that.

I would also make it clear what day your buying your ticket for (Saturday or Sunday) and that the ticket is only valid for that day. Then if you want you can have a separate weekend admission ticket at a discounted rate to make people not only want to attend both days, but also make them feel like their getting value for money. I don`t feel the current pricing structure reflects value for money and i think that value for money is key to maximizing your turn out.

I would also scrap the spectator pass in favor of an admission ticket, but also state that the admission tickets allows for casual play, which should be encouraged for newcomers who might be a little scared to take part in a tournament, it`s also a good chance to meet new people.

I would also have individual pricing for each game so you can gauge how many entries each game is going to have and start forming your bracket in advance. At the moment having one ticket for one main event means nothing except that one person has entered one main event, but you don`t know what event they have entered ????? I feel this completely defeats the point of having online sign ups.

I would get rid of all the fancy confusing names and would price the structure and layout something like this

Venue Entry

Admission ( Saturday) 15 euro

Admission ( Sunday) 15 euro

Admission (Weekend Pass) 20 euro.

Main Tournament Game

Ultra Street fighter IV 10 euro

Side Tournament game

Super Street fighter II Turbo 5 euro

Combo deals are attractive and four games for 25 euro is excellent value for money, but allow people to select what games they are actually playing in so you can keep track of whats popular and update the bracket in advance. Keep it clear and simple and don`t confuse people with crazy names and poorly structured price plans.

Not only was it a joke but his points are not really valid, they are just a point of view. Chunkis is rarely helpful or inclusive/collaborative in his comments.

The pricing of the event is easy to understand and follows other Capcom sponsored events I, and others here have recently attended.

There is a weekend pass for competitors and an option for spectators. The prices are not only clear but explicit in their description. If you are playing, ignore the spectating pass. There is also a description on the eventbrite booking page illustrating what each person has to do when making a booking.

There are discounts for extra tournaments entered. I am glad this met with Chunkis approval. When you make a selection of which you want to purchase online, you are asked which games you want to play also - this is something that a thorough examination of the services offered would have yielded had that been the purpose and negated some of the above points.

Chunkis is not aware of all the facts, costs, details or anything really as he doesn't proffer anything other than the yearly opinion - after which he is usually not at the events so a dialectical engagement is often difficult

I've used the service and thought it was slightly confusing in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I had to read it a few times to make sure I was understanding the options correctly as well (and I consider myself fairly literate :P).

Whatever you think of Chunkis' ability to run events, he probably has the most experience of anyone in the scene in this area. No reason to throw free advice back in peoples' faces even if you don't agree with it imo.

Whatever you think of Chunkis' ability to run events, he probably has the most experience of anyone in the scene in this area.....

I respectfully disagree.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

We'll take the feedback on board and see what can be done, seeing as people (some from several other countries) have already paid, and it's based on other successful tournaments we're cop- er, emulating, I'm not sure how much wiggle room there is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Whatever you think of Chunkis' ability to run events, he probably has the most experience of anyone in the scene in this area.

QFT. I also found it very confusing to read, simple is the way to go lads. If it's not broken :P

Regarding the Chunkis comment, he simply does have the most experience with this kinda thing, and I do agree with/echo his points.

• Advertisement

I made this to help clarify any confusion over ticket prices. Hopefully it makes more sense for everyone. There are many ways to structure entry for an event like this, we hope the one provided will work fine now that more clarity has been provided and when the site is ready (see below). There are considerations that may not be always immediately clear and it is messy to try change it now as people have purchased online already - some internationally. If there was a real problem with the configuration then we would probably have to change it but given that alternatives proffered are just that and changing it would result in not only additional payment processing charges but also extra work then it doesn't make much sense to now.

Website for the event is underway and will also be up soon. This will give a centralised point for information, rules, and everything else so it will help to provide coherent information all in one place where everyone can see it rather than dispersed over social media and boards etc.

The eventbrite/paypal combination for online sales do charge but they provide an encrypted secure payment collection system and ability for tournament selection when you purchase a tournament ticket as standard. A few have put up their own money to secure equipment and venue etc so we have provided the online payment to help with those costs early on and to facilitate international people coming to the event. We would encourage everyone to purchase tickets online as it will help immensely with planning.

ticket%20prices.png

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Far clearer this way, good job and fair play for taking on criticism from any field.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gonna be an expensive weekend.

... oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Zoomyzoom

From my own experience of being involved in the planning, execution & documenting of events within the FGC scene in Ireland (very similar to this) and from speaking to the various organizers of HypeSpotting and WGC – a lot of work that happens behind the scenes often goes unnoticed & under-appreciated & a few have commented that it is a thankless job & that trying to maintain the whole collegial & community aspect while trying to get the tournament off the ground can often result in some dynamic negotiations ;)

I'm always overwhelmed as the amount pre-planning that goes into these events - networking with sponsors, venue personal & communities as well as within the community itself; sponsorship and venue acquisition; identifying new avenues for funding & sponsorship; advertising, public relations & marketing as well as all the creation and distribution of materials that go with these mediums, video creation & editing; management of social media & the distribution and moderation of that media; scheduling of the games, the stream and the overall event as well as the personal physical and mental work and time given up by all those helping out.

From what I’ve seen so far, this event does seem to follow (mostly) the templates set out by the larger, European tournaments - those who are affiliated with the Capcom Pro Tournament – no? Ireland is a much small place in terms of pool of players and finance available - so you've got to give a bit of flexibility. Given that this style of tournament was only established since 2013, in terms given emphasise to personal experience & presenting of said voice / opinion / position / argument, - speaking with the organizers of these European event such as Hypespotting and WGC (who I have personally found more than accommodating) as well as the players who attend these events, would seem like a more inclusive & more informative way of exploration than just emphasizing the experience of one over the experience of others. Moving the dialogue & interaction from a personal view of how they think something should be done to a more wholistic point of view?

I suppose what I am really saying is that it is very easy to pick out the faults in someone else's work or efforts but it's not that easy to back those criticisms up with action and become a participant than just purely observer. We all want to make this event a success, so that not just Ireland gets a look in but that the FGC in Ireland (as a whole) gets the great opportunity in terms of inclusion and in terms of showing the wider scenes what we’re made of! :)

This is a tentative Schedule for Celtic Throwdown. It is purposefully Sat heavy with events.

I'd like to stress that this is accurate as of today and is subject to alterations as needed. The official schedule will be posted on the website when launched.

Test-Schedule1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Zoomyzoom wrote: »
    From my own experience of being involved in the planning, execution & documenting of events within the FGC scene in Ireland (very similar to this) and from speaking to the various organizers of HypeSpotting and WGC – a lot of work that happens behind the scenes often goes unnoticed & under-appreciated & a few have commented that it is a thankless job & that trying to maintain the whole collegial & community aspect while trying to get the tournament off the ground can often result in some dynamic negotiations ;)

I'm always overwhelmed as the amount pre-planning that goes into these events - networking with sponsors, venue personal & communities as well as within the community itself; sponsorship and venue acquisition; identifying new avenues for funding & sponsorship; advertising, public relations & marketing as well as all the creation and distribution of materials that go with these mediums, video creation & editing; management of social media & the distribution and moderation of that media; scheduling of the games, the stream and the overall event as well as the personal physical and mental work and time given up by all those helping out.

From what I’ve seen so far, this event does seem to follow (mostly) the templates set out by the larger, European tournaments - those who are affiliated with the Capcom Pro Tournament – no? Ireland is a much small place in terms of pool of players and finance available - so you've got to give a bit of flexibility. Given that this style of tournament was only established since 2013, in terms given emphasise to personal experience & presenting of said voice / opinion / position / argument, - speaking with the organizers of these European event such as Hypespotting and WGC (who I have personally found more than accommodating) as well as the players who attend these events, would seem like a more inclusive & more informative way of exploration than just emphasizing the experience of one over the experience of others. Moving the dialogue & interaction from a personal view of how they think something should be done to a more wholistic point of view?

I suppose what I am really saying is that it is very easy to pick out the faults in someone else's work or efforts but it's not that easy to back those criticisms up with action and become a participant than just purely observer. We all want to make this event a success, so that not just Ireland gets a look in but that the FGC in Ireland (as a whole) gets the great opportunity in terms of inclusion and in terms of showing the wider scenes what we’re made of! :)

It is a messy job alright, running events like these provides some insight into the workload involved, sometimes its straightforward, and sometimes your losers bracket players have disappeared for lunch so the tourney is held up.

Running these events can be exhaustive, especially when you're a competitor at the event, there are probably things I would do differently, however, I know that organizers are doing the best they can to ensure everything is as good as can be.

Also, Is it €5 per side tourney entry or €5 to enter all of them?

5 per tournament with it financing most of the pot for each.

Sponsor prizes will also be allocated closer the time as they become clear

Got it to min viability.

www.celticthrowdown.com

Just looking at the site there and there's a bit of ambiguity about the way the SF4 bracket will work after pools are done.

Will it be a new bracket that maintains the Winners/Losers status of the competitors or a brand new DE bracket?

• Advertisement

Just looking at the site there and there's a bit of ambiguity about the way the SF4 bracket will work after pools are done.

Will it be a new bracket that maintains the Winners/Losers status of the competitors or a brand new DE bracket?

It says "This tournament will be run as a DE bracket pools into top 16 DE bracket. This will then be played into TOP 8 for the finals day."

There will be 8 pools. Each pool will have top two qualifying into a 16 man DE bracket which we will play on the sat into top 8 and pause for the second day. The winners/losers status will be maintained - it will not be a new bracket.

IF we get a load of people entering (too much for 8 pools) we will add more pools and put the winners and losers of each pool into a larger bracket to play through to top 8 for the Sunday.

This is the same format as Hypespotting 4 in April just gone. :)

I updated the site to explicitly say that Winners/Losers status of the competitors is maintained

Advertisement