Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get roses for making wedding bouquets

• 29-01-2015 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,
    Looking for some help.... I've decided to make my own bouquets for my upcoming wedding, have practised +++ so it's actaully quiet easy. I'm going to do four bouquets and approx 7 button holes. Does anyone know where I can buy roses or seasonal flowers that's relatively cheap, as I hear most florists charge €1 a flower etc... Any ideas would be gravely welcome. Wedding is in Tipperary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭fits

Flower market in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aber2012

Whereabouts in Dublin? Are there any flower markets down the country? Don't really want to be travelling a few days before the wedding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

I girl i know made her own bouquets also, she bought bunches of flowers from outside a cemetery, said she saved a fortune and from what I've been told, they looked fab!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would just go to Aldi or Lidl and buy a bunch there. They are just as good as any roses you will get in the florist and will last just as long if not longer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

fits wrote: »
    Flower market in Dublin

Where is it? Getting married in Dublin next year, mil doing my flowers, this would be ideal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Where is it? Getting married in Dublin next year, mil doing my flowers, this would be ideal

Smithfield. My mil does wedding flowers and always orders them from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

Aber2012 wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Dublin? Are there any flower markets down the country? Don't really want to be travelling a few days before the wedding

You should check out farmers markets near you. Some have amazing flowers & will do deals. Maybe the milk market in limerick is that near you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What part of the country are you in? There are a few flower wholesalers around. Most of them are trade only, but some are stricter than others. A lot of them have minimum spends too, but again some are more strict than others. You'll need to make sure that you don't get the flowers too early and give yourself plenty of time (without starting too early - you want the bouquets to be as fresh as possible) to make them. Make sure you buy extra flowers too in case you break or damage any of them. Making bouquets can be easy, particularly if you only use the one type of flower, but it will take up a lot of the day before the wedding.

Also a lot of roses cost more than a euro per stem in wholesalers so you may find that it works out more expensive than you think if will be.

Thanks everyone, home is Tipperary, I live in Dublin but dont need a trip back up here a day or two before the wedding, but I might send someone else! Most florists are charging €100 per bouquet, we need 4, and when I could make them all for €100 - keeping it simple with one type of rose, it's a winter wedding so I figure plainer colour is better. I've practised already and it's simple... The button holes are a different kettle of fish but again need a bit of practice ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

There are 2 online wholesalers who will deliver to you that I know of. Flowers4florists.com and wholesale flowers.ie. Flowers 4 florists is a bit cheaper but both have a minimum spend for free delivery.

Otherwise in Limerick there is fitzgeralds florists who are wholesalers open to the public.

I plan on using flowers 4 florists. I'm making baby's breath bouquets and buttonholes. The buttonholes are very easy and last a long time

That's great, thank a mill for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Fitzgerald flowers in limerick are a wholesalers that sell direct to public. They are close to ballysimon road...citywest industrial estate i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 Spitfire_24

There are two wholesalers in Cork, Central Florists and Bloomfield, both on the outskirts of the city. I have used them both previously and they can order in almost anything with a min order of ten stems. They order from the Dutch Markets and flowers generally take a week to come in. There is also a wonderful lady in Roscarberry West Cork (Vintage Cut flowers) who grows her own flowers in green houses.My sister ordered flowers from her to do the centre pieces for her wedding and they were considerably cheaper than a wholesaler. This lady is also doing my bouquets for my own wedding and is at least 60% cheaper than other florists because she grows her own flowers rather than import them. She's a bit of a drive from Tipp but might be worth checking out.

Thanks everyone, all very helpful, I will drive to that place in Limerick the next time I'm home...
    I'm planning on making them up the morning before the wedding but would I get away with two days before the wedding do you reckon?

If you can do the bouquets you will be flying it with the button holes.. Just pick up some green florist tape not the thick one, some wires and then whatever you want to put in he buttonholes..

Milly33 wrote: »
    If you can do the bouquets you will be flying it with the button holes.. Just pick up some green florist tape not the thick one, some wires and then whatever you want to put in he buttonholes..

Do you think it would be very time consuming in all? I've four bouquets to do, and probably 7 buttonholes, the church is awkward as the pew ends are open ended so will just be placing a few flowers and baby's breath in a bunch, every second row, I was thinking about get the alter sprays done professionally? Not sure though, have you any experience of this? Thanks

Do you think it would be very time consuming in all? I've four bouquets to do, and probably 7 buttonholes, the church is awkward as the pew ends are open ended so will just be placing a few flowers and baby's breath in a bunch, every second row, I was thinking about get the alter sprays done professionally? Not sure though, have you any experience of this? Thanks
    You're giving yourself a lot of work to do with 4 bouquets and 7 buttonholes without adding pew ends and altar arrangements into the mix. Buttonholes are easy enough to do but they're quite fiddly at the beginning and take a bit of practice to get them perfect. Although if you're just doing a rose and nothing else they should be fine. Altar arrangements take a good while to do. It's not just a case of sticking greenery and flowers into some oasis randomly. Definitely get them done professionally. I've trained as a florist, although I haven't actually worked as one yet, and the idea of doing all that with no (or little) experience the day before my wedding stresses me out. If I'd trained before I got married I still wouldn't have done it myself. Try to minimise the time you'll be spending on the flowers so that you can actually relax.

Also make sure you have someone organised to remove the pew ends and anything else you make for the church that you're not leaving behind. You don't want to be worrying about that yourself on your wedding day.

Well mum is a florist :) and I have spent many a day setting up the pew ends and working with her... To be honest I do think if you can manage a bouquet nicely you are talented, therefore you will be well able for the rest.. The button holes what are you thinking of doing.. If lets say you were using dry flowers you can make these up during the week a few days before, saving a bit of time for yourself.. Getting the nack of wrapping the tape around the wire and flowers is about the hardest thing, just wrap them tightly.. I would think do not go mad with them, the flowers don't normally last if they are fresh so really they only need to look good for a few hours.

Ill try look at a few you tube videos if you like to see if their are some good ones that are truthfull.. with the decorations for the alter, would you think about cakes as mum likes to call them. You get your block of oasis and surrounding edges with large leaves or whatever choice of material you like. Them all you have to do is fill in the middle of them with flowers or candles..

Milly33 wrote: »
    Well mum is a florist :) and I have spent many a day setting up the pew ends and working with her... To be honest I do think if you can manage a bouquet nicely you are talented, therefore you will be well able for the rest.. The button holes what are you thinking of doing.. If lets say you were using dry flowers you can make these up during the week a few days before, saving a bit of time for yourself.. Getting the nack of wrapping the tape around the wire and flowers is about the hardest thing, just wrap them tightly.. I would think do not go mad with them, the flowers don't normally last if they are fresh so really they only need to look good for a few hours.

Ill try look at a few you tube videos if you like to see if their are some good ones that are truthfull.. with the decorations for the alter, would you think about cakes as mum likes to call them. You get your block of oasis and surrounding edges with large leaves or whatever choice of material you like. Them all you have to do is fill in the middle of them with flowers or candles..

That would be great thanks. I don't mean to sound disrespectful or cocky that I'm making them myself and I'm not a florist, It's something I enjoy doing on a smaller scale at home and I wanted to do something myself for the day that I could put my own stamp on it, like others would do their own invitations etc. The cake idea seems great, I will practice this too... I like your idea of the dried flowers... Would a wholesaler sell these too do you reckon?

• Advertisement

Oh no jes you don't sound cocky at all. It is like you say with the invites and people saying they will do their own, if you have a flair go for it.. More power to you haha..

The wholesalers will sell everything you need. I saw a mention of limerick earlier there is a great one by the motorway junction I can get the name if you like they are very nice up there.. That or you could just call to a florist for tape and wire and if your stuck let me know I have wire and tape I would glady send it up to you...

just looking at a few videos and this is more or less the tips you need for wiring anything https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJWFIfDLVqk

Oh sorry I cannot figure how to add photos since it has changed. But if you look at this picture here https://www.facebook.com/flowersbychriss/photos/ms.c.eJwzNDEyMja2NDMwMTc0NDI30zOEChgZGpubW5oYwgUMIALGAABXChc~-.bps.a.1410398662572037.1073741827.1410392129239357/1422339621377941/?type=1&theater this is what would be called a cake. You can do anything really with it and you save a lot by covering the outside.

Advertisement