Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering from US (etsy)

Options
  • 29-01-2015 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey all, let me start by saying I have no idea what I'm doing!
    I have been looking for an engagement ring for months at this stage, finally found one I like (and more importantly think she would like) but it's from an online store called etsy, the maker is called rare earth. Wondering has anyone else used this site? Are they reliable? I've heard that you have to pay a heap of import tax for engagement rings too, anyone have any advice to help out this clueless fella???

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Etsy is a well known website, but like eBay, it's made up of thousands of individual sellers. Each seller will have a rating though. Obviously, the higher the rating from the greater number of reviews, the better. If they have a 5* rating from just one review, be wary. If they have a 2* rating from 500 ratings, be wary. If they have a 4* or 5* review from 100+ ratings, read through the reviews and see for yourself. Your seller has a 5* rating from over 800 ratings, so I'd trust them. It's as reliable as eBay, IME - most sellers are genuine, and you can tell a lot from feedback scores.

As for tax, I haven't a notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

ahhh can someone step up and help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

NMB wrote: »
    ahhh can someone step up and help ?

I downloaded a pattern for a teddy bear last week for 1.99 no problem atal seller was from Cavan lol..

Haven't a notion about engagement rings

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Bought a necklace from a US seller on Etsy a few years ago. Good service and quick delivery (it didn't cost that much and wasn't subject to customs)

Looking at their page on Etsy, they have good reviews. As suggested above, read through a few of them. Their jewellery looks lovely.

In regard to customs: stated under shipping and policies
    Import Duties
    International customers are responsible for any import duties imposed by their country.

Good luck.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I sell on Etsy. It's sort of the same idea as ebay, in that it's an online market place, however unlike ebay, you can't just stick up any old random things on it. Firstly you have to operate as a 'store', secondly the stuff you're selling has to be either created by you, or else antique or vintage. A lot of Etsy sellers operate a physical shop, but also sell through Etsy so they can appeal to a broader customer base.

Looking at the store you've picked, they certainly look very reputable. They've been operating since 2008, have over 800 reviews and a 5* rating, so they're definitely doing something right. Probably helps that all the jewelry is gorgeous too :) The helpdesk people on Etsy are very good, if you've got questions about buying or buyer protection, you can get in touch and they'll come back with answers for you. It might help put your mind at ease before you purchase. As a seller, any time I've had to use the helpdesk, I've found them excellent. I've bought numerous things on etsy over the years, and so far I've never had a problem.

As regards taxes, you'll certainly be charged VAT, and import duty also. If you get it shipped with FedEx, they pay the charges so your item can be delivered to you faster. They'll then invoice you for the duties, plus their admin fee. I had a ring made for my hubby for Christmas and it was shipped from the states via FedEx. The seller declared the value to be $100 (it was actually about $600 but I hadn't asked him to under-declare, he just did it himself) and the invoice I got from FedEx was about €40, although that included their fee, which was about a tenner. They work on a percentage scale, so that's something you need to be aware of - you'll get your item faster, but if it's a high value item, it can work out quite costly.

I would imagine the likes of UPS or DHL operate in a similar way, although looking at her store she offers USPS International Express, tracked and insured as her standard. Or you can ask her to use FedEx. If your carrier doesn't pay the landing fees for the ring, you'll have to go and pay customs yourself (they'll probably write or phone you to advise the package is there, and you need to pay for it). This happened to my brother in law, he ordered some sort of super-fancy custom bass guitar from the states, and once he paid the duties it was released. I'm not sure if it was then delivered to him, or whether he had to go out somewhere to pay and then he received it on the spot.

I found this handy doodad which might help you figure out what you'd roughly be looking at as regards import fees. I suppose the thing you want to weigh up is, if you buy the ring from there, will it be prohibitively expensive purely because of tax, or would it be nicer than something you'd get in Ireland, for round about the same price? If you're going to go ahead with it, I'd recommend giving Customs a buzz, and ask exactly what kind of price you'd be looking at, just so you know exactly what to expect when it arrives.

Hope that's been of some help, best of luck with everything :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 kidcash

Thanks for all the advice! It's a morganite ring I'm looking at (overheard her saying she loved them to her sister) havnt been able to find anything in local jewellers but rare earth do loads of em, looks like I'll be paying about 300 ish in customs but worth it!

...one more question...her sister only got married last November, what would you say is an acceptable amount of time to leave it to pop the question myself? We're heading on holidays in April, if you were the sister would you think that was too soon? Don't want it to look like I'm trying to steal their thunder yano?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

kidcash wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice! It's a morganite ring I'm looking at (overheard her saying she loved them to her sister) havnt been able to find anything in local jewellers but rare earth do loads of em, looks like I'll be paying about 300 ish in customs but worth it!

...one more question...her sister only got married last November, what would you say is an acceptable amount of time to leave it to pop the question myself? We're heading on holidays in April, if you were the sister would you think that was too soon? Don't want it to look like I'm trying to steal their thunder yano?

Those rings look lovely.

On her sister .... Stealing her thunder? Her sister has already had her day. Even a week after her sister's wedding would've been enough time to leave to get engaged. If the sister has a problem with it then she's a bloody selfish self absorbed idiot.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    If the sister has a problem with it then she's a bloody selfish self absorbed idiot.

Haha, that's what I thought. She does tend to be a little um, difficult at times. Can't see her having a problem with this though hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

God, she shouldn't have any problem with that!
    Etsy is great and I have ordered loads of stuff from them. Never had any issue. Don't know about the customs but would trust Etsy over eBay any day.
    Half my wedding was off Etsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yeah I've ordered tons of things from Etsy with no problems. Great website.

• Advertisement

Hey all, just to give an update on this. The ring has been ordered and delivered. Couldn't be happier with it! Thank you all for yer advice, now just to actually pop the question!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Awesome! Delighted to hear that you're pleased with it! Best of luck with the proposal!

Ment to do this ages ago but just wanted to say....she said YES! Thank you guys so much again for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Congratulations!!! Happy wedding planning :D

Congratulations!!!

Advertisement