Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do MMA fighters keep dissing Mayweather?

• 27-01-2015 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭

Ronda Rousey can beat him, this guy can beat him, yada yada. It's getting boring. Obviously most MMA fighters could beat Mayweather at their own sport. I don't know why they feel the need to keep bringing this up again and again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Strangely this is the 1st ive heard of it since the days where Sean Sherk wanted to fight him.
    What other fighters keep dissing him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ronda Rousey can beat him, this guy can beat him, yada yada. It's getting boring. Obviously most MMA fighters could beat Mayweather at their own sport. I don't know why they feel the need to keep bringing this up again and again.

Well he doesn't know who Rousey is formone thing.

Also he plans on promoting mma events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 wardiaz

Funny you never hear Floyd call out mma fighters and say he'd beat them in the ring,mma fighters are only calling him out for publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Of course hed lose in a straight MMA match. Thats like saying Andy Murray would lose a game of chess against Gary Kasparov, of course he would, cause theyre two totally different sports.
    Get Mayweather Vs pretty much anyone in the UFC in a boxing match and hed win as most MMA practitioners have pretty average/poor striking by comparision to a pro boxer like Mayweather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Strangely this is the 1st ive heard of it since the days where Sean Sherk wanted to fight him.
    What other fighters keep dissing him?

+1

As far as I can remember, Sean Sherk called him out didn't he?

And Dana White said Rousey would beat him.

Besides these two, I can't think of any others who would make the OP think that MMA fighters 'keep dissing' Floyd Mayweather.

Thread title, and indeed the thread itself is a bit WTF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

John_D80 wrote: »
    Besides these two, I can't think of any others who would make the OP think that MMA fighters 'keep dissing' Floyd Mayweather.

Well Joe Rogan and Chuck Liddell are another two. And more recently Jon Jones, albeit in a much less condescending way than the others.

Well Joe Rogan and Chuck Liddell are another two. And more recently Jon Jones, albeit in a much less condescending way than the others.

Sean Sherk, Jon Jones and Chuck. Thats 3 fighters. 1 active and 2 retired. The current UFC roster has over 500 fighter AFAIK. Not to mention the other 'big' MMA promotions.

To say that MMA fighters 'keep dissing' him is reaching a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Sean Sherk, Jon Jones and Chuck. Thats 3 fighters. 2 active and 1 retired. The current UFC roster has over 500 fighter AFAIK. Not to mention the other 'big' MMA promotions.

Obviously I didn't mean all MMA fighters, but it is a topic that regularly pops up in the UFC with Ronda being the more recent (and ridiculous) one at that.
    wardiaz wrote: »
    Funny you never hear Floyd call out mma fighters and say he'd beat them in the ring,mma fighters are only calling him out for publicity.

Yeah I reckon that's all it is. Now granted I'm not a fan of Mayweathers antics either, but saying he wouldn't beat any MMA fighters in MMA rules is a bit pointless.

Obviously I didn't mean all MMA fighters, but it is a topic that regularly pops up in the UFC with Ronda being the more recent (and ridiculous) one at that.

Oh yeah, I know you didn't mean all MMA fighters, sorry if it came across like that. But to be fair I/you could only come up with three names of fighters who 'dissed' Mayweather in isolated incidents.

I don't think this happens anywhere near as regularly as you are making out. Bit overdramatic really to say MMA fighters 'keep dissing' him.

It's just not the case at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Not a big fan of Mayweather, superbly talented, questionable character.

But this is a case of dissing the man, envying his paycheck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

+1

As far as I can remember, Sean Sherk called him out didn't he?

And Dana White said Rousey would beat him.

Thread title, and indeed the thread itself is a bit WTF.

I think it was Mayweather saying he could beat Chuck then Dana & Sherk said he should stick to lighter weights so Sherk put himself forward. I remember Dana & Sherk being ringside for 1 of his fights too around the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Floyd beat the Big Show in a pro wrestling match back in '08 so I've no doubt he could take Jon Jones and the rest of them in an MMA fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Floyd beat the Big Show in a pro wrestling match back in '08 so I've no doubt he could take Jon Jones and the rest of them in an MMA fight.

Are you serious? The poor chap would get his ass handed to him in a sling if he went against an mma fighter under mma rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭cletus

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are you serious? The poor chap would get his ass handed to him in a sling if he went against an mma fighter under mma rules

Think you might need to turn up the dial on the sarcastometer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

cletus wrote: »
    Think you might need to turn up the dial on the sarcastometer :D

Ye I realises the mistake I made the second I typed it. I left it there because I deserve to be mocked for being so stupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 reelsmash

never liked this guy.. i admire his talent being a boxer but he is the one talking **** to mma so of course mma fighters will call him out.. anyways i just hope manny will smash him once and for all in there fight..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ye I realises the mistake I made the second I typed it. I left it there because I deserve to be mocked for being so stupid!!

Love it.

BTW, it's not a given that a good MMA fighter gets beaten by Floyd in striking with hands only. Yes, boxing rules with a ring and boxing gloves I would back Floyd against the MMA, but in a cage with 4 0z hard wraps/mitts then I would not be overly confident with Floyd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Its completely different rules, and a lifetime of training to be as good as possible in that given rule set.

I don't know why this keeps coming up over and over.

Its like comparing soccer and GAA football because they both kick a ball.

Completely different rules , although some similarity for those watching on the outside.

Soccer guy (Ronaldo) would be completely lost in a GAA match despite his skill as being the best soccer player in the world (probably i dont know). He would probably be able to adapt quickly after a couple years of training. Much faster than most people however he would get ruined in a county level GAA match if thrown in.

Similarly most GAA all stars would have rings run around them in a champions league soccer match. They would do far better than average joe and might even string a couple passes together but ultimately they will be outclassed on the soccer pitch.

Advertisement