Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballinacurra?

• 27-01-2015 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Anyone get married here? I'd love to pick your brain about a few things :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Anyone get married here? I'd love to pick your brain about a few things :-)

Have been at a wedding there if it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

In Kinsale? Been to weddings and organised events there. What's up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

They require that we book and pay for all the accommodation on site (22 rooms sleeping 44-54 people) for 2 nights. It's up to us to allocate the rooms to friends & family and up to us how much people pay (whatever they pay will come off our bill) I'm really struggling with how to choose the select few (i.e. one cousin but not all their bros & sis), how to know how much to charge ppl and mostly how do I persuade my side to stay for 2 nights?! They are all from Cork like.

So, if you are any way flexible with dates you could ask them for any single night booking availability. I got one once in between two other sets of bookings on a bank holiday. It's a long shot though..

With the two nights, some people take the night before, and make a pre-wedding night of it with the families down there. Arrange nails / spa stuff to be done there. get everything ready for the next morning. Or, have a kind of 'afters' the night afterwards, where work colleagues etc are invited to a bbq / picnic /pizza night or something casual.

On the accommodation, maybe pick a rate close to what the nearby hotels are charging. You don't collect the money yourself, there is a reception desk in there and the guests pay as if at a normal hotel with credit card or whatever they like. There is breakfast as well for them all.

As for choosing people, just ask who is interested in staying first of all in your immediate families, and go from there. Maybe people who are travelling a long distance next, and spread it out then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

If tis of anyhelp to you. our place is kind of the same. Well in such we have to decide what to charge for the rooms and allocate them. It kind of works out handy as you get to give free rooms to whoever you like. We have given rooms to the parents and bridesmaids for free and given them a room in the main place.

Then for anything outside we just got a recommended price of what the place would normally charge. Lets say it was €250 for a house on site. Three bedrooms we thought ok anyone who has travelled afar and who are more than likely going to stay for the entire weekend they get dibs on the house and it will be either free as they have travelled or something like €50 a room. It really depends if you want to make the full amount back, if you do then charge this there is nothing wrong with it..

Do up a list of people and family who you know for sure will want to stay for the entire weekend and then allocate spots for them. You will probably be surprised at how quickly they get used up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

They require that we book and pay for all the accommodation on site (22 rooms sleeping 44-54 people) for 2 nights. It's up to us to allocate the rooms to friends & family and up to us how much people pay (whatever they pay will come off our bill) I'm really struggling with how to choose the select few (i.e. one cousin but not all their bros & sis), how to know how much to charge ppl and mostly how do I persuade my side to stay for 2 nights?! They are all from Cork like.

I'd be wary if you have to commit to 2 nights here and take all the rooms, given that many of your guests are from Cork.
    The rooms aren't that cheap here, and for 2 nights, it can add up.
    Many want want to stay only 1 night, or elsewhere.
    It's a fantastic venue, but ensure you don't get stung paying for more thatn you should really have to!

This is the problem whiskeyman. Milly I think I read on another thread your wedding is in Kerry? Assuming neither side is from there so they would all have to pay for accommodation anyway? Half our side is from Dublin - no problem charging them as they have to come down and most would prob come for teh weekend anyway - a 2 night package is an easier sell. But as you say whiskeyman asking people who are from Cork and in theory don't have to stay any night at all to pay for not just 1 but 2 nights seems a tall order! I really don't know what to do. I think I'll have to offer heavily discounted rates to get my family to bite. Like I'll probably have to pay for more than half. Unf Whiskeyman there's no avoiding the 2 night stipulation it's part of the package with Ballinacurra, no I've committed to a date now and it's on a Saturday, can't change it

no free room for the groomsmen Milly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

We have similar issue with allocating rooms but thankfully just for one night. I think two nights is a lot to ask of people. Sadly that's the deal in a lot of venues.

no free room for the groomsmen Milly?

haha are you one of them then!! No we have one for them too. We had 9 rooms in total in the main place so one for us then 4 for him to decide and 4 for me..

Nope not in Kerry at all at all it is in Cork but a bit out. Just the same really as Ballincurra is.

If people are from the city they are still going to have to manage to get back from Kinsale to the city which, will either be by one of them driving or taxi. It tis a taxi it is going to mount up, so I would think you would be surprised by how many would stay there.. If you think that you are have to charge a lot for the rooms and people wont take them, then charge less simple. You may be a little out of pocket but at least the rooms there wont be wasted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That two-night thing (and the price!!) is what put us off Ballinacurra. Gorgeous venue, but the rooms work out to something like €200/€250 a night in high season if I remember correctly? We would have wanted to heavily subsidise them for our guests and it ate into our budget too much.

I think the Friday night would definitely be an easier sell than the Sunday night to your family. Arrange a big wedding rehearsal or something, with dinner? Convince them they won't want to drive home and have to come back the next morning to get ready, and you might swing it that way.

Jes those prices are a quite steep alright

If we charged people full whack it would be 125 per person per night (B&B). Prices are going up in 2016 it will be 150 pp/night so yeah for a couple it would cost them 500 euro for the 2 nights! We'll have to heavily subsidise it

If we charged people full whack it would be 125 per person per night (B&B). Prices are going up in 2016 it will be 150 pp/night so yeah for a couple it would cost them 500 euro for the 2 nights! We'll have to heavily subsidise it

:eek:

I presume they earn their money that way instead of charging an 'exclusivity' fee or whatever?

You could be forking out nearly 4/5 k just to subsidise the rooms so?
    Although it's a lovely hotel, I doubt you can charge anything above €160 per room, per night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Like I said, am grappling with this issue too. Rooms are 180 a night. We are thinking of subsidising down to 150. I feel terrible asking people to spend money in a way.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    :eek:

I presume they earn their money that way instead of charging an 'exclusivity' fee or whatever?

You could be forking out nearly 4/5 k just to subsidise the rooms so?
    Although it's a lovely hotel, I doubt you can charge anything above €160 per room, per night?

We're not going to charge people anything close to that. I've just totted it up there and it's going to cost us over 6 grand to subsidise the accommodation. Yep I guess that is how Ballinacurra make their money instead of an exclusivity fee!

That is mad alright. I remember we did enquire there and maybe twas this part that put us off.. Before you would pay that much to stay.. Do ye have it booked already or ye just enquiring?

We've booked it. I mean we could try charging people more but I think that would just make them book into the nearest B&B in Kinsale! So the price we offer them has to be attractive enough that people will want to stay there, otherwise we'll end up with a load of empty rooms

We've booked it. I mean we could try charging people more but I think that would just make them book into the nearest B&B in Kinsale! So the price we offer them has to be attractive enough that people will want to stay there, otherwise we'll end up with a load of empty rooms

You're very good to do this, and I guess given your circumstances (with friends / family from the area) you pretty much have to.

I was at a wedding there a while back where the gang were from mostly abroad, and the room rate charged was around €320 for 2 nights.
    At that one, close family and friends made up the numbers and wished to stay close together.

Well at least you are open minded about it. think that would be the way to go alright. Better some of the rooms be used than none of them.. I am sure it will work out just try not to think about the loss side of it for too long. Just think sure you have to give up something to have the nearest and dearest close by

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I was at a wedding there a while back where the gang were from mostly abroad, and the room rate charged was around €320 for 2 nights.
    At that one, close family and friends made up the numbers and wished to stay close together.

And that was probably still subsidised!
    We are going to charge 240 per room for the 2 nights, and even less for immediate family. I suppose I feel like it was my choice to choose Ballinacurra & their 2 night policy, why should my guests have to pay for my choices

Sounds reasonable, and enjoy yourself. It's a beautiful venue, you'll have a great time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Just look at the cost as an exclusivity fee and that'll make it easier mentally than paying for people's accommodation.

Advertisement