Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-funded Season in Austria?

Options
  • 26-01-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

My girlfriend and I are planning a ski season in Austria next year. In the pipeline for the past while, planned to do it for 13/14 season but had a few family events. The calendar is clear for 15/16 season so far and we've been saving and researching quite a bit. Below is a run down of our estimated costs for the season, going from Dec 1st to April 1st.

Getting there:
    - Ferry to UK, €350
    - Ferry from Dover, €60 (is this the cheapest/best option?)
    - Drive to Austria, €260 (according to viaMichelin from Dublin)

Accomodation:
    - €800 per month (hoping to get a two bed apartment in SkiWelt area in the likes of Kirchberg, Ellmau, Kitzbuhel, Soll)
    - Monthly bills (gas, elec) - €100?

Other:
    - Ski pass = €600, early bird Snow Card
    - Food, €150 weekly

Are the prices way off? We have our own ski/board gear. Also, we are hoping to get a few hours work here and there. Bar/Tour Operator work when they are stuck. Along with renting out the spare room with AirBnB, possibly the whole apartment during peak times.

Initial Costs: €1900
    Monthly Costs: €1400

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

skilgannon wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I are planning a ski season in Austria next year. In the pipeline for the past while, planned to do it for 13/14 season but had a few family events. The calendar is clear for 15/16 season so far and we've been saving and researching quite a bit. Below is a run down of our estimated costs for the season, going from Dec 1st to April 1st.

Getting there:
    - Ferry to UK, €350
    - Ferry from Dover, €60 (is this the cheapest/best option?)
    - Drive to Austria, €260 (according to viaMichelin from Dublin)

Accomodation:
    - €800 per month (hoping to get a two bed apartment in SkiWelt area in the likes of Kirchberg, Ellmau, Kitzbuhel, Soll)
    - Monthly bills (gas, elec) - €100?

Other:
    - Ski pass = €600, early bird Snow Card
    - Food, €150 weekly

Are the prices way off? We have our own ski/board gear. Also, we are hoping to get a few hours work here and there. Bar/Tour Operator work when they are stuck. Along with renting out the spare room with AirBnB, possibly the whole apartment during peak times.

Initial Costs: €1900
    Monthly Costs: €1400

Look at land bridge (eurotunnell and fast ferry) €350 each way!

Your figures look ok tolls through France will be €100 or there abouts

Do it have fun and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Would it not be easier to rep for a ski company. Ski during the day - oragnise and sell at night?

MadsL wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to rep for a ski company. Ski during the day - oragnise and sell at night?

Nope, you will be lucky to get an hour to 3 a day to ski, thee pay and conditions are ****e and you don't get to pick the resort!

As for staff accommodation grim

• Registered Users Posts: 22 skilgannon

Thanks for the replies! I'll check out landbridge. viaMichelin should have calculated those tolls but I'll double check.

One of the reasons for the trip is to get a break from work, although a couple of hours every now and again would be welcome to get to know a few locals and raise a bit of extra beer money. Also, bringing the van so planning to visit quite a few resorts on the snow card - another reason not to work full time in a resort!

Thanks for the replies! I'll check out landbridge. viaMichelin should have calculated those tolls but I'll double check.

One of the reasons for the trip is to get a break from work, although a couple of hours every now and again would be welcome to get to know a few locals and raise a bit of extra beer money. Also, bringing the van so planning to visit quite a few resorts on the snow card - another reason not to work full time in a resort!

Sometimes it's worth going via Lux, Belgium and Germany slightly longer but cheaper fuel.

Are you doing camper van or just regular? Few lads here ski bum in campers they could probably give you some valuable tips ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAcVumFo07U#t=255

Invaluable advice :)

Fattes guilty of 2:10 ;)

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAcVumFo07U#t=255

Invaluable advice :)

Fattes guilty of 2:10 ;)

In fairness I was due! Bonus prize of you can identify the female voice on that clip

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Fattes wrote: »
    In fairness I was due! Bonus prize of you can identify the female voice on that clip

Says Sherry somebody in the text. Is it really your first injury?

How did I see this video already.

Says Sherry somebody in the text. Is it really your first injury?

How did I see this video already.

Sherry McConkey, wife of Shane the greatest skier that has ever put on a pair of skis! Her voice is so distinctive

First major knee injury from skiing. Two broken hands, a few Kilternan thumbs, broken ribs and a rebounding spring loaded race gate to my balls! Is the rest of the list! I have has a few massive falls one at over 115kph!!! that have left me sore and bruised but not missing skis days oh and plenty of damaged pride

Ah i didnt know it was her!
    i wasnt saying about the knee injury , i was saying about the photo uploads of powder and "another hard day at the office" :)
    I know a few people do that one

• Advertisement

Give it another few weeks and I will resume ;)

We love it really :)
    One day ill do that same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Sherry McConkey, wife of Shane the greatest skier that has ever put on a pair of skis! Her voice is so distinctive

I watched the documentary about him a few weeks ago on netflix. I knew he was crazy, but didn't realise just how much until I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 skilgannon

Sometimes it's worth going via Lux, Belgium and Germany slightly longer but cheaper fuel.

Are you doing camper van or just regular? Few lads here ski bum in campers they could probably give you some valuable tips ;)

Thanks for the route tip, the way we have it planned at the moment we'll have the guts of a week to get from Ireland to Austria so should have time to go the longer route and a few pit stops along the way!

It's a converted camper, no heating though. I'll bring the winter sleeping bag, might come in handy if we get stuck at apres ski in another resort! Other than that I don't think the van or I would survive in the cold weather!!
    I watched the documentary about him a few weeks ago on netflix. I knew he was crazy, but didn't realise just how much until I saw it.

Great documentary, pushed the boundaries in every area he took an interest in. Passed well before his time

Thanks for the route tip, the way we have it planned at the moment we'll have the guts of a week to get from Ireland to Austria so should have time to go the longer route and a few pit stops along the way!

It's a converted camper, no heating though. I'll bring the winter sleeping bag, might come in handy if we get stuck at apres ski in another resort! Other than that I don't think the van or I would survive in the cold weather!!

Great documentary, pushed the boundaries in every area he took an interest in. Passed well before his time

Friends of mine are doing the converted camper thing, this season, they have learned an awful lot as the season has gone, I will get them to put something together for you! They have had some issues with water pipes freezing when they are out during the day and no heat in the van, they have bought like an outside extension tent that attaches to the van, used to store beer and wine!

Plus always scrape the snow off the van after a fresh fall, the heat from the van melts it to ice!! Than you are screwed!

As for McKonkey! An absolute legend who has paved the way for so many and completely altered the face of our sport! He is a hero and pushed it as far as it could be pushed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

No heating? You really, really need to think that one through if you plan on sleeping in it at any stage, although I note you say you hope to be in an apartment. Campervans aren't renowned for their insulation qualities. It will be like sleeping in a garden shed.

One of the camping gases (either propane or butane, Google will tell you which) doesn't work well or at all in low temperatures, so if you plan on using gas at any stage when over there (there's nothing like returning to the van and having a hot something to eat or drink) make sure you bring the one that works in the cold.

Obviously, don't leave any water in the system, just bring 5l bottles with you and use them.

I know someone who drives over at a relatively leisurely pace every year. He leaves Dublin on the ferry on Monday morning, overnights in the UK (not essential, but he visits someone en-route), crosses to France on Tuesday, makes it to Luxembourg-ish Wednesday, Munich-ish Thursday and then heads south on Friday, avoiding the Saturday morning crowds. You could do it faster for sure, or slower, but that seems like a reasonable pace.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The only job for heating a camper is a diesel night heater, just run it off the main fuel tank, they are very frugal and give off loads of heat, and no risk of CO2 poisoning like with gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Timmaay wrote: »
    The only job for heating a camper is a diesel night heater, just run it off the main fuel tank, they are very frugal and give off loads of heat, and no risk of CO2 poisoning like with gas.

Was wondering how you'd keep the heat on.

I'd love to drop everything, buy a van and just go but life gets in the way.

I used to live in a van.
    Id do it again in a flash , esp if i had a few quid behind me.
    Its a great life when the weather is good , winter can be a bit grim so im not sure about a ski season in one.
    You could get a small wood burner or buy one already converted.

Advertisement