Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not Happy with Dress

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Glad that you made the decision to call her up on it and not let her get away with it. By the sounds of it, it could be very well what people are saying that maybe she is getting the dresses made cheaper abroad.. The dress is hardly on JJS house is it or Alxi Express... Not saying there is anything wrong with them but if she is lie-ing to you, she should fess up.

Shameful of her to do such a thing I hope karma comes and takes a big bite out of her arse... Horrible people do not think doing stuff like this can be so nasty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It definitely looks like completely different lace and cut on top alright, and the waist is way too loose... Maybe pressing would change the way the lace looks, and alteration changes the waist, but it's so hard to tell!

Whether or not it's the dress or a mistake, the woman in the shop is some bloody idiot for making you try it on unpressed, or without clipping it behind so you could see what an alteration does.

I've been dress shopping loads of times with friends and family, that is the normal procedure. The customer does not leave the shop after some half-arsed look at a crumpled unaltered dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

OP I think maybe you should hold off on posting about this any more until you get sorted. There's a few accusations flying about here and it could make things difficult for you if you need to take a case about it. I probably sound paranoid but you don't want to give the shop any excuse to wiggle out of this. Sorry if the mods think I'd backseat modding btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

pooch90 wrote: »
    I'm assuming it was Serendipity Style in Virginia you were talking about?
    Wasn't trying to tar anyone working from home with a bad brush, I got my BM dresses from a similar set up in Galway and my alterations too.

OP, awful for you but I have full faith you can get this sorted in time.
    Big hugs!

I didn't like to name names but ...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I rang her at open of business this morning, took me a good while to get through to her, was hanging on the line for ages and she eventually answered.

Started telling me the "Great News" that she had spoken to the designer and they were going to "Replace" my dress. I just told her no uncertain terms that I wanted nothing got to do with that dress or her shop and that my correspondence with her had come to an end, my Husband-to-Be was going in there at lunchtime and my money in cash better be ready.

Sure enough I got a full refund. No questions asked when the hubby went in.

I rang a place in Naas who very kindly fitted me in at lunchtime, I was all set to buy a sample dress when she pulled out a beautiful brand new gown, just happened to be my size and everything and within my budget. I bought that dress and she gave me a great deal on a gorgeous veil too.

I couldn't be happier :) the dress is SO flattering on me and it's a style that I hadn't even tried on before picking the first dress.

Toots am I allowed to name the offending outlet on the thread or will I keep it for PM?

Thanks so much to everyone for all the kind messages of support :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

What a fantastic ending to a horrible situation.

I'm so glad it worked out so well for you, and I'm sure you'll be a beautiful bride in your new dress :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

xzanti wrote: »
    I rang her at open of business this morning, took me a good while to get through to her, was hanging on the line for ages and she eventually answered.

Started telling me the "Great News" that she had spoken to the designer and they were going to "Replace" my dress. I just told her no uncertain terms that I wanted nothing got to do with that dress or her shop and that my correspondence with her had come to an end, my Husband-to-Be was going in there at lunchtime and my money in cash better be ready.

I rang a place in Naas who very kindly fitted me in at lunchtime, I was all set to buy a sample dress when she pulled out a beautiful brand new gown, just happened to be my size and everything and within my budget. I bought that dress and she gave me a great deal on a gorgeous veil too.

I couldn't be happier :) the dress is SO flattering on me and it's a style that I hadn't even tried on before picking the first dress.

Toots am I allowed to name the offending outlet on the thread or will I keep it for PM?

Thanks so much to everyone for all the kind messages of support :)

That's brilliant news, I'm delighted for you :)

I actually haven't got the heart to name and shame them on the thread :( I don't want to bring bad karma on myself.

Anyone who asked for the name, I'll PM them.

Just give me a little while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Could I please have the name if you don't mind?

• Advertisement

i'm so happy! sorted out so quickly! :)

is it ok to see the new dress on via PM too?? I'm curious after seeing the other ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

Oh xzanti that is fantastic news I'm so happy it all ended OK in the end. A total nightmare but least you can put it behind you now and concentrate on the count down to the big day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeahhhh well done to you!! Fantastic news I hope ye are celebrating tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

:)

To be honest I think that's fair enough and you shouldn't name them . The designer and manufacturer are ultimately at fault. I tried on some dresses of that brand and I wasn't impressed by the quality either. But every designer will make a mistake at some stage, even well known and highly regarded ones.

fits wrote: »
    To be honest I think that's fair enough and you shouldn't name them . The designer and manufacturer are ultimately at fault. I tried on some dresses of that brand and I wasn't impressed by the quality either. But every designer will make a mistake at some stage, even well known and highly regarded ones.

Well I emailed the Designer the pictures early this morning and asked them to confirm that this was infact their workmanship. I got an email back this afternoon from a lady telling me that she wanted to speak to the Director who should be there tomorrow.

So, it'll be interesting to hear the verdict on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

Interesting... do let us know the outcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yay!!! I'm thrilled you got it sorted xzanti, that's great news! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

That's great op! :) any chance you'd post the two contrasting pics now since you're not going with that dress anymore? I'd love to see the difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

anna080 wrote: »
    That's great op! :) any chance you'd post the two contrasting pics now since you're not going with that dress anymore?

Yes please, it would be great to see both and compare !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Aw brilliant! Delighted for you, and the new dress sorted too! Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

This couldn't have turned out better! Well done for standing up for yourself. I can only imagine how difficult it was to argue your point with her, she's a sales woman after all! You also had the sense to ask for help on here and follow the very sound advice you were given. Fair play to you, you have definitely earned your happy ending :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Delighted it's sorted so fast, and you got a fab new dress! I always hate to see when things like this happen people and the person just lets the business walk all over them and doesn't defend themselves and "makes do" with what's happened. It also shows how easy it is to get it all worked out once you're firm with them.

If you could PM me the name that would be great, I have lots of engaged friends shopping around at the mo. I'd love to see photos of the dress you got vs what you ordered too if you didn't mind, if not no worries :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'd love to see the pics to please. the sample. the hideous and the new. delighted you got it sorted. what an awful business. tell everyone you know to steer well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

I can't believe that happened to you but I am delighted that you got a happy resolution for you! You couldn't have put that other dress on you after all the heartache.
    Dying to see what the company says!! If you don't mind, could you please pm me the name of the shop as I've just started looking for my own dress! Also, if you don't mind sending me the pictures just so I can see the difference. I'm terrified, something like this will happen to me for the first dress i put on and I won't be able to spot it! 😦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Congrats xzanti I'm delighted you are sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I am delighted you're sorted. I honestly didn't think you'd get it sorted so fast.

I have a feeling that store hasn't heard the last of this. I strongly suspect the dress they sold you wasn't the workmanship of the designer in question.

I would love to know the outcome of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Brilliant news! I can't even imagine how panicked I would have been if my dress had come back and been disappointing..Fair play to you for standing up for yourself and getting it all sorted! Hope you have a brill day in your gorgeous new dress!

Would also love to be pm'ed the name of the shop if only to warn my friend who's starting her dress shopping soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Delighted for you and well to wear with the new dress!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭baby_pebble

would love to see the pictures too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Absolutely delighted that it's worked out for you!

Thanks so much everyone for the words of support and all the helpful advice :) very very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm delighted to hear you got sorted with the refund, and that you got such a lovely new dress so fast! Just goes to show that one was obviously meant for you!
    Well I emailed the Designer the pictures early this morning and asked them to confirm that this was infact their workmanship. I got an email back this afternoon from a lady telling me that she wanted to speak to the Director who should be there tomorrow.

So, it'll be interesting to hear the verdict on that.

OMG I'm dying to hear what the outcome of that is! I would say don't name and shame on the thread because if it does turn out that there's something dodgy about the dress it could lead to the designer taking legal action against the shop. PM is grand though, so work away :) If I might be annoying, is there any chance you could let me know the name of the shop also please? I've 2 friends dress hunting at the minute, and my BIL got engaged over the weekend, so his new fiancée will no doubt be looking soon enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I read this thread before your update and my heart dropped for you, xzanti. I couldn't even imagine the stress and upset. I am DELIGHTED that everything has worked out so well for you and that you've found your perfect dress. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

What a great ending to that part of the drama, delighted for you! All your money back and a beautiful new dress, as well as the feeling of overcoming the difficulties posed by the shop owner, it must feel great! Really well done, and I really hope the designer comes back to you and clarifies that, I'm dying to hear what they say. Roll on the second half of this thread :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

What wonderful news! Really happy you got your money back rather than stressing over alterations or replacements of a dress design that had upset you like this coming up to your wedding. Wonderful outcome.

Would love to see the pics of your new dress too, when you get a chance... and PM the name of the shop so I can warn any friends (I know it may take a while with lots of us being so nosey :) )

Agree with others that it's great to see someone stand up for themselves and have a positive outcome. Seems shameful the store would be doing this sort of thing. Would be interesting to see what the designer has to say....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah that's fantastic, and at least the shop had the cop on to sort it out and give you your full refund, so they did that bit right! Fair play to you for standing up for yourself, not easy to do in dress shops!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm really delighted for you :) So happy you got your money back and also got your REAL dream dress into the bargain!

I'd say the shop had a rethink that you weren't the kind of person that would be fobbed off, but if it was a once-off, by not being truthful about the dress in the first place, they've done themselves a lot of damage through word of mouth.

It will be VERY interesting what the designer has to say about it. I hope that they keep you posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Hey xzanti,

Glad to hear it worked well. My wife had a similar (although less awful) experience with a well known Dublin supplier at the time of our wedding. Luckily her dress was fine but they got her bridesmaid's dresses in a completely different colour and were trying to pass it off as her mistake. Even brazened out the photographic evidence.

In the end the bridesmaids wore the dresses anyway due to time constraints.

I wanted my wife to name and shame them but she didn't want to make a battle out of the happy memory of the wedding/dress. In a way I hope this is the same shop and that they get very bad press from this because I think they took advantage at the time of our wedding.

Well, I'm still waiting to hear back from the designer. I emailed them this evening before I left work so I'll have to wait til tomorrow as it was off my work email.

I'll put the pics up of the dresses but only for a few hours.

I won't be posting my new dress :P maybe after the wedding :D

<Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭baby_pebble

I can see the difference immediately and i'm no expert! The fabric in the sample looks heavier and more expensive or something and the lace is completely different? Sample is fab though!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

It looks like 2 completely different types of satin? Plus the bodice bit looks out of proportion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

wow the difference is staggering :eek:

the sample was beautiful the other was looks like a cheap imitation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

No sparkle at all in the second one!

Ginny wrote: »
    It looks like 2 completely different types of satin? Plus the bodice bit looks out of proportion?

I don't think the second one even was satin tbh.. it was like a big duvet :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Bodice on first is cut far nicer under the bust.

Hard to see from the first photo, but the seams on the back of the second are badly uneven and look pretty dreadful.

The seam at the side of the sample dress is a bit crooked because she had it pegged at the back.. it was supposed to come back fitting me like a glove..

That thing fitted more like an oven glove!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Definitely an aliexpress or dhgate knock off i would say... fair play to you for getting onto the designer!!

Wow! Material is all wrong!! The first one is amazing on you and the second one doesn't do you justice at all! It's like a duvet! Can't believe they were passing it off as the same dress!! Enough time had passed for them that they'd hoped youd forgotten, lucky you had the photo of the sample!!

Also you can see from the two pics that the bodice bit that the lace is attached to is completely different. In the sample pic you've loads of room and it starts half way down your back nearer to your waist but the second one the bodice is half way up the top of your back and the lace is just hanging onto it it looks so wrong!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My god the second one is shocking! I can see what you mean about the armholes, it's uncomfortable just looking at that - imagine wearing it all day. The seam on the back is sewn crooked, and it doesn't look like the zip was sewn in evenly either, to say nothing of the detailing around the top! There's no amount of pressing that would sort that out!

I agree with Pinkycharm, I'd be shocked if this wasn't some sort of knockoff. It looks like some of the copy ones you see on ebay and the like. I wonder why they tried to sell it to you? Surely if they were running some sort of scam with the dresses, word would have gotten around fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My god, such a difference! The materials used are completely different.

One thing that stands out to me about the episode is how the bridal shop handled it. They seemed (from your posts) very blazé about the dress delivered and fobbed you off with excuses. And the fact that they handed you a full refund, they didn't put up much of a fight and did so before you could kick up too much of a fuss or a scene... If that was any other business which had ordered in something especially for a customer, they wouldn't be so quick to allow the customer to change their mind and get their money back. definitely smell a rat there!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement