Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dislike wedding speeches?

• 28-01-2015 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Gettin married in three months, I dislike wedding speeches, my OH is very shy, my dad would say very little & my FIL to be isn't a nice man.,.,. What other ideas would be good instead of speeches?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Gettin married in three months, I dislike wedding speeches, my OH is very shy, my dad would say very little & my FIL to be isn't a nice man.,.,. What other ideas would be good instead of speeches?

I felt the same. We went with no speeches. I wouldn't do anything instead necessarily but I do think it's nice for one or both of you to just stand up and say thanks to everyone for coming - esp if you've people travelling. Short and sweet- not a speech as such. Alternatively perhaps the best man could do it and work it into a toast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

The plan for us is that just the bride and groom will speak. And it will be brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

You could have a picture slid show instead, with a thank you at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

You could have a picture slid show instead, with a thank you at the end?
    Oh God no, not the dreaded slide show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

bride and groom each say a small thank you. no slide show. only people who like them are the people in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Are Slide Shows a no no then!!

Feel the same would not be mad on speeches unless you have a good fun character to do them. I know I hate the sound of my voice so although I always said I like it when the bride says something, Id be like really you want me to talk.. Himself wouldn't be too bad but I can see him not fancying it too much.. My dad just would not like it either..

Think like others said there is nothing wrong with the two of ye or even all the family on the the top table getting up together and saying a joint thank you to everyone for coming and toasting all the guests.

Or you could do something like a Mexican wave style (I don't mean all getting up and sitting down but more passing the standing up passing the mike to the next etc) speech just have each person say a quick thank you and pass the mike along..

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

I've been to weddings with no speeches. To be honest I don't think anybody noticed.

I think the main thing you need to be sure of is that you thank everyone for coming to the wedding in some way and thank those who have helped with the preparation and done things on the day. Speeches are normally used for this. But you could just write a heartfelt note and put it in the ceremony booklet or leave it on the tables at the reception.

We just had a bride and groom speech. However, both of us are used to standing up in front of large groups of people. If we weren't I think I would rather no speeches. We both spent a lot of time writing (and rewriting!) our speeches and they went down really well in the end. But if this is not your thing, I would avoid it totally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Milly33 wrote: »
    Are Slide Shows a no no then!!

Feel the same would not be mad on speeches unless you have a good fun character to do them. I know I hate the sound of my voice so although I always said I like it when the bride says something, Id be like really you want me to talk.. Himself wouldn't be too bad but I can see him not fancying it too much.. My dad just would not like it either..

Think like others said there is nothing wrong with the two of ye or even all the family on the the top table getting up together and saying a joint thank you to everyone for coming and toasting all the guests.

Or you could do something like a Mexican wave style (I don't mean all getting up and sitting down but more passing the standing up passing the mike to the next etc) speech just have each person say a quick thank you and pass the mike along..

Definitely no slideshows. I can't understand why people think their guests would be interested in the bride and grooms personal photos.

You don't need full blown speeches, but the bride and groom should say a few words of thanks to the guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I've been to weddings with no speeches. To be honest I don't think anybody noticed.

I think the main thing you need to be sure of is that you thank everyone for coming to the wedding in some way and thank those who have helped with the preparation and done things on the day. Speeches are normally used for this. But you could just write a heartfelt note and put it in the ceremony booklet or leave it on the tables at the reception.

We just had a bride and groom speech. However, both of us are used to standing up in front of large groups of people. If we weren't I think I would rather no speeches. We both spent a lot of time writing (and rewriting!) our speeches and they went down really well in the end. But if this is not your thing, I would avoid it totally!

Lovely idea there to put a note in the booklets or a note in a frame that's displayed near the table setting or something. You can't beat a personal thank you though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

We didn't have speeches at our wedding. I stood up and said "Thank you to everyone for coming and enjoy the night". The end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

I've just remembered another wedding I was at. The groom gave the shortest speech ever, but it was just perfect. He is really quiet and shy but he stood up and, using a few humorous anecdotes (all in very good taste!), told us how wonderful his wife was and how she had changed his life for the better; then he thanked everyone for coming, and that was it. It was over in two or three minutes. It was so simple but straight from the heart and while others gave longer and 'fancier' speeches at the same wedding his speech was the one that stuck.

Just an option for those who aren't into public speaking but feel they should say something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

fits wrote: »
    The plan for us is that just the bride and groom will speak. And it will be brief.

I really like the sound of this. The speeches can really be one of the more thrashed to death parts of the day. I think that a few words from the bride and groom is more than adequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

...using a few humorous anecdotes (all in very good taste!), told us how wonderful his wife was and how she had changed his life for the better...

At the risk of sounding terribly cynical here, I wish that the format would move on from speaking about how great the bride is, how she has changed his life, etc, etc. Fair enough I am sure that it is all perfectly true, but I don't think it needs to be harped on about considering that it's pretty obvious by the fact that we are at their wedding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

We asked our honorary best man to stand up and say thank you for coming and he toasted us.
    it was great more time for eating and drinking :D

Like that MsBubbles nice and simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Milly33 Thanks. It was a combination of my husband's fear of public speaking, my dislike of speeches and the fact our wedding was only 50 people.

Still it works. was just thinking I know my brother he isn't groomsman or anything but he is a lovely speaker always has a happy face on him, is used to addressing crowds. So maybe he might like to do it.. 50 people im well jealous I kinda wish we had stuck to or original plan of just inviting close friends and sod the family well extended one

Advertisement