Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Early puberty in son?

Options
  • 29-05-2015 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Noticed this morning that my son has some underarm hair. He's quite fair so it's not obvious. Bit panicked as he's only 10, won't be 11 until the Autumn. My mum only said to me the other day that she thought he was getting a sore throat as his voice was a bit strained. I looked at his throat and he was fine. Now I'm wondering if that's his voice breaking!

He surely wouldn't be starting puberty already?! He's only 10. He is very tall for his age - he is right at the top of the age bracket for clothes in the likes of Dunnes and Penneys. He showers himself, gets dressed in his own room with the door closed over so I wouldn't really see the physical body changes like the hair.

He's my one and only child, bit shocked if I'm honest! Not sure how to deal with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

That's not that early really, I wouldn't worry. I personally developed a little earlier than that and I turned out... well not great but nothing to do with puberty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

10 isn't that early, I know with girls puberty begins based on weight and height I think? If so it'd be the same with boys wouldn't it? (thinking out loud here)

I definitely had hair on my legs at 10/11, and needed a bra at the same age, I was also tall for my age (I've been my adult height of 5 ft 8 since I was about 12).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

When I was a girl I never really noticed when puberty would have hit the boys I went to national school with or even my own younger brother (I had my own puberty to be dealing with!!). Just got such a shock this morning!! Then had mad visions of him being really mature by the time he starts secondary school in two years, of him being mature looking while still in national school and people thinking he's been kept back or something. People already think he looks older than he is. Then I started imagining him getting in with the wrong crowd in secondary school cos he looks older, going to pubs underage etc etc etc!! God I'm not looking forward to the teenage years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

If it's any consolation I did look older from then onwards, and I turned out fine :) I did start going to bars and stuff at 13/14, which just meant that I was totally over the whole scene by the time I was about 23, and never got into any trouble, I was always the mature sensible one in any gang! I don't think anyone thought I was kept back, so what if they did? I was the youngest in my year so that was always my claim to fame, the youngest was the tallest for a few years. And if anything it helped not get picked on or in with the wrong crowd, I was taller and older looking than half of them so I was left alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My OH had friends in fifth class who had facial hair... No one bothered them as they were so big same with first and second year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Sounds a bit young for a boy to me but I'd be no expert. Nothing you can do about it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I started puberty at around eight. It's not so shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I think I started noticing signs around 5th class, started to get a bit of hair on my lip etc. I think it's about normal.

And OP, you're completely over reacting with those worries. Don't get yourself into a flap.

Advertisement