Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Uzi - a proper soldier's weapon or a Hollywood gun ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Tenger wrote: »
    Nice on topic post, answering the OP's question.
    As far as I know from reading various books over the years, the Uzi was designed originally for troops in confined areas (tankers) thus it gives these troops (who previously were restricted to pistols) more defensive firepower. In addition its light weight and small size made it suitable for non-frontline troops who would ind a full size rifle restrictive towards their normal duties.
    I assume the Special Forces liked it for its size and weight as well as high rate of fire?

So I guess it fulfills some roles very well but would not be suitable for a frontline squad who are holding a defensive position, which requires assault rifles and light machine guns?

I guess Hollywood started using it as it 'looked cool' and maybe suited the role of 'concealed weapon to be fired single handed'?

Nah. it looks cool because you can have one in each hand and it was the weapon of choice for the Terminator!!

250px-Uzi_02.jpg

I think SF like it not so much for its rate of fire but for its low muzzle velocity which meant that in a confined space, such as a room, bullets tended to stay in people rather than continue on through and ricochet around the place. Obviously enough it's easy to conceal.

The Sten and MP5 were / are similarly attractive for the same reasons.

If range / reach is not a major consideration it would be a good choice - I seem to recall that the FBI published research that in urban America the average distance over which an exchange of fire took place was 25 ft - effectively the width of a car and a sidewalk - so for intercepting a car or storming a building you could do worse than the "Uzi, 9mm."

Probably not the best choice in open countryside!

Advertisement