Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What oil burner is this ?

• 19-12-2014 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭

A nice STAR for correct answer.
    I havent seen one for over 10 years, photo cell was gone, and I still had one at the bottom of an old box in the van.
    Lucky.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Photocell is the big black yoke behind electrode that's normaly under cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Riello.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Riello.

WRONG

No Star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

scudo2 wrote: »
    WRONG

No Star.

I knew that. It was too easy

Any other answers ?

"James M" would know it.

• Advertisement

OFFS
    It was very common 30 years ago, and this one us still going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

OFFS
    It was very common 30 years ago, and this one us still going strong.

Rolling Stones??

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Rolling Stones??

Ok.

Mectron 3K

Before Mectron looked like a Riello, which became Riello.

Anybody remember Datsun became Nissan ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Ok.

Mectron 3K

Yep! Had one with the bars across the shocks. Rust buckets.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Wearb wrote: »
    Yep! Had one with the bars across the shocks. Rust buckets.

easily patched and fixed with 1 of scudos famous biscuit tins :P

• Advertisement

Ok.

Mectron 3K

jsysus I was close.

jsysus I was close.

Yea !!

20 years out mate.

Bet you don't have a spare photo cell for it ?

I still have 2 Old control boxes ?

Yea !!

20 years out mate.

Bet you don't have a spare photo cell for it ?

I still have 2 Old control boxes ?

I think I have some of those photocells in the shed somewhere from an ancient riello I still look after, it's held in by a metal clip and is circular?

I think I have some of those photocells in the shed somewhere from an ancient riello I still look after, it's held in by a metal clip and is circular?

Big round plug in two prongs at the back of it.

Welcome yipee, as if you know that, youve ovusaly been around a while. Nice to have a new imput.
    M

Big round plug in two prongs at the back of it.

Welcome yipee, as if you know that, youve ovusaly been around a while. Nice to have a new imput.
    M

Cheers, yeah. That's the one alright!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Ok.

Mectron 3K

After a year retired and having not taken off a cover or even glanced at a boiler, my memory of all that is fast fading.
    But, I think that we are looking at a Mec 3K. The Mectron 3BM was more like a G5.

Before I got into the heating game I worked for Lincoln & Nolan (Austin Importers), who merged with Brittains (Morris importers) who then started importing Datsun, which became Nissan.

I still lurk :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

JamesM wrote: »

I still lurk :D

God loves a lurker, thou I don't, back to the boat James :P

God loves a lurker, thou I don't, back to the boat James :P
    Just because you were outed on another forum :D:D:D

And if I remember correctly that boiler in the photo was a heap of sh17e. A really short chamber, with a big brick making it shorter. Horrible flueways that stripped the bristles off your brush and no way of cleaning the back of the boiler, which often had an asbestos 90 degree bend with no cleaning door and the whole lot was up tight against the back wall, so it could not be removed :mad:

Anybody know what make this burner is ?
    James or Billy ?
    A solid tank of a burner with the air intake at the back against the boiler door,
    I've worked on a few, normaly the only problem was the High Tension leads from the transformer burnt out and shorted.
    Spot the spark plug leads from a motor factors !!
    boiler photos 4214 118.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 ServiceGuy

Is it a Nuway by any chance?

• Advertisement

Not a Nuway.
    I had a few on my books. Can't think of the name. I even had a manual for it up to a few years ago - can't find it now. I think that a small one man operation in Dublin brought them in. It had a round/oval grey cover over the whole front covering all the bits. I think that the name was just a few letters, about 4.
    The boiler is an old cast iron Rio.
    Jim

Actually, I have changed my mind, while I do know the burner, it's probably not the one I was thinking about - that one was smaller :(

JamesM wrote: »
    Not a Nuway.
    I had a few on my books. Can't think of the name. I even had a manual for it up to a few years ago - can't find it now. I think that a small one man operation in Dublin brought them in. It had a round/oval grey cover over the whole front covering all the bits. I think that the name was just a few letters, about 4.
    The boiler is an old cast iron Rio.

Quite a few were in Cork, I've proberly come across 15 over the years, burners that is, but hadnt see one for years, the one in the photo was last Christmas.
    I've seen the grey covers but no name or details.
    Great electric motor, never had to replaced capacator or had to replace burner due to motor or transformer. It's the oil pump that eventualy packs in.

Plenty of Rio's
    I us to fit two 1/2" flat plates on/across the lugs in the main chamber to keep the heat against side walls, customers saw a big difference.

As I said, burner was a solid tank but I could or wouldnt change oil pressure as the seal on pump ajuster would leak due to age.
    Normaly just HT leads, air or nozzle faults.

Thanks for reply James, I'm still cuerious though.
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pat35

A nice STAR for correct answer.
    I havent seen one for over 10 years, photo cell was gone, and I still had one at the bottom of an old box in the van.
    Lucky.
    Did you take this picture before or after the service?

pat35 wrote: »
    Did you take this picture before or after the service?

Before, why ?

Disconected electrode cable when I opened service hatch for safety, on second photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pat35

i was wondering if the block of wood was a permanent fixture in the first picture.also is it advisable to change the oil lines going to the burner on a burner this old or could there be issues removing them from the oil pump

That's my lucky block of wood, I bring it everywhere.

:):):)

Sha don't all us oldies have bits of wood in the tool box.

Bet my woods bigger than yours :D

I use a bit of Larch myself. Lasts for years. See a lot of the newer guys using bricks. Too much vibration for my liking.
    Billy's probably hasn't worn down yet, hence the larger piece. Getting hard to get then nowadays. Only manufactured in Cork now and shipping costs can mount. I was lucky enough to get mine from a man that was retiring. OFTEC has them listed on their website, but when you go to "buy now", it says "will be in stock soon" I will be giving up in about 13 years if you want to lay claim to my piece. First come first served. Have to have 2000 boards posts to qualify.

Happy Christmas all.

• Advertisement

I use a bit of Larch myself. Lasts for years. See a lot of the newer guys using bricks. Too much vibration for my liking.
    Billy's probably hasn't worn down yet, hence the larger piece. Getting hard to get then nowadays. Only manufactured in Cork now and shipping costs can mount. I was lucky enough to get mine from a man that was retiring. OFTEC has them listed on their website, but when you go to "buy now", it says "will be in stock soon" I will be giving up in about 13 years if you want to lay claim to my piece. First come first served. Have to have 2000 boards posts to qualify.

Happy Christmas all.

Gosh!!! someone had an interesting night. :p

Happy Christmas all.

any chance of this again in English :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: happy xmas

jimf wrote: »
    any chance of this again in English :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: happy xmas

I don't see your problem with it Jim. :) It made perfect sense to me last night :( Do you not have a block of wood? Maybe you should talk nice to Scudo. He knows somebody who knows somebody.

Btw I am getting a phone with built-in breathalyser from Santa. Mind you it could well be a lump of coal :(

Many happy returns Jim

will try reading it again 2 nite after a few pints of Heineken it will probably read a lot different then

I think santa is bringing scudo a pony for xmas the fecking cowboy deserves a new mode of transport

I don't see your problem with it Jim. :) It made perfect sense to me last night :( Do you not have a block of wood? Maybe you should talk nice to Scudo. He knows somebody who knows somebody.

Btw I am getting a phone with built-in breathalyser from Santa. Mind you it could well be a lump of coal :(

Many happy returns Jim

I HAVE ONE !

I HAVE ONE !

A fearful sight. Enough to ruin a good night out.

• Advertisement

A fearful sight. Enough to ruin a good night out.

Worked on my teenage son !!!

For a while !
    He's 20 now.

Advertisement