Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing pipe size query

Options
  • 16-12-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Have recently bought and am now looking at renovating a 70s built house. Some of the piping for the heating is 10mm and other parts are 22mm. Spoke with a plumber about other work and he said that I should remove and replace all 10mm piping now as it will definitely lead to problems with heating and blockages later on. He says i'll be guaranteed to be tearing up my floors again (which I'm just putting in now) in a couple of years.

I'm inclined to just leave it - it's obviously done the job ok the last 40 years so why replace it - but want to get a few other opinions. Am I asking for trouble by not replacing these pipes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Microbore piping was used extensively during the 60s and 70s. never a fan of it myself. If it's under Timber floors I'd be inclined to leave it. you could get the system power flushed. This will clean out your whole Heating system and probably expose any weak points in the pipework. if any of it is in Concrete I'd consider replacing it now as concrete does eat into copper in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Okay I've pulled up a few floorboards to see what I'm dealing with. I assume that this requires urgent replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Yes it's probably wise to replace the pipework now while your doing other works rather than having to do it in a few years time.
    Ripping up Tiles Carpet or lino, Not worth taking the chance for the sake of a few lengths of pipe.

Advertisement