Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is just heart breaking!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dude111 wrote: »
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I have them all and they are great.
    Indeed they are!!

ATARI 2600 was the BEST console of the 80s!! -- I love it like crazy!!

Games now are pure evil and violence.... Terrible!!

The 2600 was in no way the best, ahead of it are the NES, PC Engine, Gameboy, C64, Amiga, ST, Spectrum, Master System, just to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

o1s1n wrote: »
    The ignorance towards games past saddens me to be honest. I really hope future generations realize the importance of many and are able to critique them as such.

People won't be playing Boarderlands in a few years. They'll most certainly still be playing Chrono Trigger/Panzer Dragoon Saga/Earthbound/Super Metroid/SOTN/and a mountain of others. [...]

Minor nitpick: unless SEGA, by some miracle, finds the source code (or Saturn emulation takes a giant leap forward) no one will be playing Panzer Dragoon Saga unless they're rich :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Saturn emulation is pretty good now. My girlfriend uses one and it's pretty much perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Saturn emulation is pretty good now. My girlfriend uses one and it's pretty much perfect.
    The more you know :)

Hey, I still have a Saturn USB pad lying around, too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Gaming is subjective, but you can't write off the old generation of games because the modern ones are superior in technical terms like their engines and sound quality.

I've the HTPC set up with a load of emulation so I tend to change from modern gaming to retro gaming quite frequently.

Latest game I played was Sleeping Dogs, which was pretty fun and looked great during wet sequences in 1080p.

Most recent game I completed was Zelda - Link To The Past on the Snes. Game had me addicted harder than crack. The game before that was Super Metroid which it's gameplay and soundtrack still blew me away.

The funny thing for me about playing retro games, be it of the old PC, console or arcade variations, is how I'll stick with them longer and feel more challenged rather than going through the motions with yet another FPS game I'll have completed in a few hours unless I go and play online.

Now, there was an enormous range of shìt games released during the console era of the 80's and 90's. The SNES had a relentless amount of bland, sometimes corporate (Cool Spot, anyone?), and terribly programmed platformers.

Mates used to take the piss out of me for spending more time playing the retro games rather than the latest stuff. Then whenever I brought the laptop and PS2 controllers around and hooked it up to a TV everybody wanted to play Street Fighter / Mortal Kombat.

Hell, we even spent hours playing this 70's game off our nut :pac:

Minus the annoying music, though.

Puzzle Bobble games were another big hit among them. The GF isn't big into games but loves playing Mario Kart Dash and the Snes Bomberman games.

Anyways, comparing Deus Ex and System Shock to something modern like Borderlands 2 is naff. Might as well say Limbo is better than Super Mario Bros. 3 since it has better graphics and a physics engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I would argue the two retro games you mentioned, Zelda: LTTP and Super Metroid, have good graphics and soundtrack still to this day. They have aged fantastically.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cool Spot was a great game, no more cynical a licence than a movie or cartoon tie-in.
    The animation was great, the music great, even the opening screen was cool with the spot surfing on the bottle of 7up.
    Level designs have been bettered but it remains good stuff.
    The excellent graphics engine went on to do sterling work on Aladdin.

Yes there was a mountain of dreadful, bland tripe on the 16bit systems, but we then forget the vast quantity of dross made for the PS, PS2, 360 and every other console ever made.

We live in a golden era of gaming, with consoles still working from the start of video games til the present.
    In time the more moving parts the more likely it is to break down and outside of virtual console type services there will be less and less opportunities to play classics, surprisingly on the likes of the DC, PS, PS2, 360 and any games machine that generates heat, they will all wear out and in time you'll be unable to play the great games they offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    The 2600 was in no way the best, ahead of it are the NES, PC Engine, Gameboy, C64, Amiga, ST, Spectrum, Master System, just to name a few.
    Hmmm well i guess it depends on what ya like and what not right? icon7.gif

• Advertisement

Dude111 wrote: »
    CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Hmmm well i guess it depends on what ya like and what not right? icon7.gif

I suppose, but I think you will have chosen a rather hard console to defend.
    Very quickly the 2600 became a world of very very poor games. With such rudimentary visuals the games on the 2600 have to have good gameplay.
    There are some classics, Defender 2 is a favourite of mine. But there are a lot of bad stuff.
    The Nes and, in Europe's case, the Amiga were massive machines in the 80s and home to hundreds of classic titles, from Super Mario Bros to Carrier Command.

Advertisement