Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD drive problem

Options
  • 03-11-2008 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Long shot but here goes, my dvd/cd drive was working properly up until a few months ago. I can burn cds but since then I cant burn dvds. The message that displays on wmp is insert a writable cd. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

does it read dvd discs like a movie for instance or does it say there is no disk inserted if thats the case it could be that the lense on the drive is dying .

Also what operating system and what software are you using to burn dvd's with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It reads dvds, there's no problem there. I'm using windows XP 2002 version with windows media player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

There might be a firmware update for your drive that might solve the problem but first we need to determine the exact drive you have. Can you click on Start, click on Run, and type devmgmt.msc where it says Open.
    This will open the device manager which gives a list of all the hardware in your computer. Look down through this list, in the top five or so items should be an entry for DVD/CDROM drives. Click on the + sign next to this and it'll expand down and will show you the model of DVD drive you have. Give us that info in here, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

try burning a dvd image with something like dvd decrypter or iso burn avalible from below .

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

also take a look at the system event logs / right click my computer / manage / events viewer / and the system event logs logs looking for something with atapi in it see if these errors are present .;

thanks for the help dudes. Heres the model: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N

• Advertisement

thanks for the help dudes. Heres the model: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N

Ah right, that's a Hitachi LG drive, it's pretty generic and is in loads of different model pcs. Can you post your computer make and model, please.

Its a Dell Dimension 5150 I think

Cool, there's actually a firmware update for that which Dell have classified as urgent.

You can get the firmware here.

Towards the end of that page there are installation instructions. Follow them to the letter. Updating firmware can be dangerous if it isn't done properly. If you follow the instructions as they are given, you should be fine.

Best of luck with it, come back if you have any questions before doing the update.

Advertisement