Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What roast beef to get

Options
  • 20-12-2014 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice. Will be doing a roast beef dinner for 10 people over the holidays. To suit all tastes I am aiming to cook medium with the ends well done to try and keep everyone happy.

What joint should I go for? Also what weight? Some of the people will have seconds so I would rather have more that run short.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is cost an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

I'm a bit of a novice myself, but one thing I know is that you should pour water over it every so often so that it doesn't get too dry. Also, once you are done let it sit for 20 minutes or so to lock in the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I recommend dry aged rib of beef on the bone from a good butcher.
    Butcher will advise on size but I'd say 350 g per person should do it.

Won't be cheap, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

As the the 'Beers recommendation I dont think you can go wrong with Rib of Beef on the bone. It looks and tastes good. Not cheap but then again not outrageous either. If I were you I would steer clear of the chains and go to a good butcher who will help you out (most of them would love a chat about anything but Turkey right now!). Expect to pay around €16-17 per kilo and a kilo would easily do 3 hungry folks! If you havent got one get a meat thermometer as its easy to run a good cut of beef by over cooking it.

Lots of options for side (very versatile the old beef)

Enjoy and dont hesitate to put up any other questions you here as the folks in Food & Drink are happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Supervalu have boned and rolled Rib of Beef on special now for 10.05kg its a very nice cut with plenty of marbling.
    Not sure if its nationwide but worth checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I have never cooked beef that was edible :pac: My 13yr old loves beef (from the carvery) and is always asking me to cook it but I have always had to throw it out so Im following this intently and will give it one more bash...:D

Colser wrote: »
    I have never cooked beef that was edible :pac: My 13yr old loves beef (from the carvery) and is always asking me to cook it but I have always had to throw it out so Im following this intently and will give it one more bash...:D

Are you buying round roast or housekeeper's cut? If so you will only get awful,dry beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Are you buying round roast or housekeeper's cut? If so you will only get awful,dry beef.
    I cant even remember what I bought but it was definitely from the supermarket..I will go to the butcher(by the lough;)) and ask them to recommend a piece to me...fingers crossed it will be a success as I would love to get it right this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Rib roast.

Everything else is shoe leather by comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

I recommend dry aged rib of beef on the bone from a good butcher.
    Butcher will advise on size but I'd say 350 g per person should do it.

Won't be cheap, mind.

i second this, its the best
    i tried one from aldi the other day and got a small one as a tester, i wasnt expecting it to be great, it was divine

• Advertisement

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    Rib roast.

Sirloin roast.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Thanks guys, will order rib of beef on the bone. Would 3kg be ok for 8 adults? I do have a a meat thermometer. What temp should I cook the meat to for medium in the middle and well on the out side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Thanks braddun for that. Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Hi i am following this thread as well I have just been looking at aldi's website and I have seen a striploin joint any advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

How big is the joint?

lulu1 wrote: »
    Hi i am following this thread as well I have just been looking at aldi's website and I have seen a striploin joint any advice on this.

It should be nice but probably at a premium price.
    When I've roasted striploins in the past, I've been a little disappointed and felt it would have been better cut into steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    Rib roast.

Anyways my ma always said round roast or housekeepers cut was the way to go and my roasts ranged from "tastes like liver" to "it's very chewy".

I saw in "reduced to clear" in Tescos yesterday a half price "certified angus beef carvery rib roast" it was €14 so wasn't that cheap either.

But O.M.G. lovely "just like the carvery", success at last, thank you very much :)

Advertisement