Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil leak - anyone here used a dye kit ?

Options
  • 17-12-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

Hi lads

Anyone ever make use of one of those UV-dye leak-detection kits ? Is it fairly straightforward ?

I have an oil leak from the front of my engine (1997 XK8), I thought I had it sussed (oil cooler fittings, you can just about see the hole in the block to the left and of the crank pulley on this diagram) but new O-rings on the fitting haven't fixed it. Can't see where else it's coming from, there's oil everywhere.

So, I plan to hose off the engine once again, put some dye in, run the engine for 10 mins, then go searching. Does the dye kit work as simple as that ?

aj_v8_engine.jpg

Advertisement