Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel insurance

Options
  • 02-12-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

need to get some travel insurance for trip coming up. will prob get over for year rather than single trip. any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

check out blue insurance ( you have to have private health ins)... or getcover.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

We use a multi-trip policy (not sure who it is with) … its €69 a year….will try ask the boss who the policy is with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

the aa are very good and you can get a multrip policy for 30 for the year they have serverl good options I always go with the medium level cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

I got a good deal at travelinsurance.com last year for yearly coverage, cant remember what I paid but I had shopped around and I ended up going with them

• Registered Users Posts: 5 keith1234

I have had a policy with Multitrip.ie for the last 3 years and everything was fine until I needed to make a claim. I had 130 Euro stolen from my room in a 5 star hotel. I was passed on to another company called MAPRE ASSISTANCE who refused to pay out referring to the fine print in the contract. I am sure this is legal but I still feel ripped off. I am sure that any insurance company can get out of paying a claim with the fine print. Can someone recommend a GOOD insurance company that they have had experience making a claim and are still happy to recommend them. There has to be one good insurance company in Ireland.
    Thanks Keith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

keith1234 wrote: »
    I have had a policy with Multitrip.ie for the last 3 years and everything was fine until I needed to make a claim. I had 130 Euro stolen from my room in a 5 star hotel. I was passed on to another company called MAPRE ASSISTANCE who refused to pay out referring to the fine print in the contract. I am sure this is legal but I still feel ripped off. I am sure that any insurance company can get out of paying a claim with the fine print. Can someone recommend a GOOD insurance company that they have had experience making a claim and are still happy to recommend them. There has to be one good insurance company in Ireland.
    Thanks Keith

What fine print did they refer to?

@ killbillvol2 In the refusal letter they quoted this:

Section F " Loss, theft or damage to Personal Money and documents left unattended at any time.... unless deposited in a safe or safety deposit box"

I had bought the Premier Plus policy which covered the loss of cash up to 400 euros. I can not think of too many situations where they would pay out a claim.

@ killbillvol2 In the refusal letter they quoted this:

Section F " Loss, theft or damage to Personal Money and documents left unattended at any time.... unless deposited in a safe or safety deposit box"

I had bought the Premier Plus policy which covered the loss of cash up to 400 euros. I can not think of too many situations where they would pay out a claim.

No insurance company will cover valuables left unattended. That's a pretty standard exclusion.

On a separate note I'd expect a 5 star hotel to have a safe in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

not all 5 star hotel have a safe in the room, but they will keep your valuables in a safe if you ask at reception... Check out blue insurance, have used them for the past number of years and had no problem when making the 1 claim that I did for a damaged suitcase

not all 5 star hotel have a safe in the room, but they will keep your valuables in a safe if you ask at reception... Check out blue insurance, have used them for the past number of years and had no problem when making the 1 claim that I did for a damaged suitcase

Blue Insurance is also underwritten by Mapfre so it's probably the same policy as keith1234 had, with the same terms and conditions. Mapfre are very big players in travel insurance.

As far as I can see, and I shop around every year, most of the policies are substantially the same with different branding.

• Advertisement

No insurance company will cover valuables left unattended. That's a pretty standard exclusion.

On a separate note I'd expect a 5 star hotel to have a safe in the room

Correction: I wouldn't stay in a 5 star hotel that didn't have a safe in the room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I have used www.theaa.ie and always found them to be cheaper than other companies, although I have never needed to claim from them so I don't know what they are like for claims OP.

On a separate note I'd expect a 5 star hotel to have a safe in the room.

Thats OK but I feel that there always would have been an excuse not to pay the claim. For example the Police report was not in the correct format or they would have said the hotel was responsible if the safe had been robbed.

There actually was a safe in the room and everything else was in it but my girlfriend forgot to the bag with the money in it.:pac:

Thanks Anne, I will look in to them.

Thats OK but I feel that there always would have been an excuse not to pay the claim. For example the Police report was not in the correct format or they would have said the hotel was responsible if the safe had been robbed.

There actually was a safe in the room and everything else was in it but my girlfriend forgot to the bag with the money in it.:pac:

You have no evidence to support that. And you seriously expect an insurance company to pay you because you left money unattended in your room? And came on here to moan about it? :rolleyes:
    Thanks Anne, I will look in to them.

It's the same company, Mapfre.

You have no evidence to support that. And you seriously expect an insurance company to pay you because you left money unattended in your room? And came on here to moan about it? :rolleyes:

Yes, I would of expected the company to pay as the money was stolen and it is not like the money was left on a public bus but I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Lady in work used multitrip for a trip on my recommendation, and ended up having to claim, said it was very easy and they were extremly helpful, got her money back very quickly too.

Advertisement