Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodgy Diesel-Engine wrecked

Options
  • 15-04-2013 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I have had the misfortune of being told my 08 mondeo engine is basically kaput. This car was running perfectly. I filled my tank at a petrol station on the Dublin road on Thursday morning. Engine dies Friday!My mechanic said its watered diesel
    Has anybody experienced any trouble like this as said garage claims to have had no complaints EVER?? Please help?

Moderators if you think this should be in the motoring forum please don't hesitate to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

I`d sue the garage that sold you the diesel, thats unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnfrawley

unfortunately, that's the route we've to go down! The garage won't even engage! :mad:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you taken a sample for testing? Have you notified the forecourt? All of the stations I can think of on the dublin road are branded ones, except for an independent that has been there for years. If there was water in the fuel they were selling, should be more than just your car though.

Is there any other way that water could have gotten into the fuel tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will need to get the sample from your tank tested independently along with a sample from the fuel station in question. You also need to get legal advice rather than discussing it on a public forum. I would not be discussing anything like this on a public forum as it could harm your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnfrawley

Hi again.
    Thanks for your replies. . . I wasn't looking for legal advice. Just was interested in hearing if anybody else had engine trouble after a fill on the Dublin road. pm me if this has happened to you. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

John, Have you ruled out foulo play? Does the diesl cap havea key lock?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

Keep your receipt safe. Get a sample of your fuel tested. Maybe a small ad in the paper, to try and find others in the same boat. Because if it only happened to you, its probably not fuel related.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Get a second opinion from another mechanic.

Could be anything and may not be the fuel at all.

I had something similar happen my car last year but it was fine once the clogged air and fuel filter was changed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think this would get a lot more relevant feedback in Motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

niallers1 wrote: »
    Ok, first of all you said you filled your diesel car with petrol.. I presume this is a typo and that you refer to all fuel as petrol.. If you did put petrol into your diesel car then that may be the reason your nine wont start.

Get a second opinion from another mechanic.

Could be anything and may not be the fuel at all.

I had something similar happen my car last year but it was fine once the clogged air and fuel filter was changed.

He said petrol station. What is he supposed to call it, diesel station ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

That was edited to remove 4 minutes before you responded..it took you 4 minutes to write 1 line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Op did you check the basic like a fuel filter first. I'd get a second opinion from a different mechanic how could he tell it was watered down by looking at it? My focus stopped a few weeks ago was running perfect and just stopped all of a sudden and wouldn't start at all again. It turned out to be a blocked up fuel filter. When was the fuel filter last changed. It could be so many things. Id get the fuel tested and a second opinion from a different mechanic before making any assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

niallers1 wrote: »
    That was edited to remove 4 minutes before you responded..it took you 4 minutes to write 1 line?

Yer, I'm a slow typer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Get a second opinion.

If water was in the diesel tank the amount of water that got through the fuel system would betiny to prevent the engine from starting.

Water and diesel dont mix. Diesel floats on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

we have loads of ford diesels towed in with all sorts of wrong fuel put in or bad fuel and never had a dead engine yet id defo get a second opinion, maybe you dont have a fuel problem at all and something else has gone wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

The Dublin road could be anywhere in Ireland. What region of Ireland???

As for crap diesel yes I've suffered and so has my dad. His van refused to start a day after filling up so we changed the filter and when we drained the diesel from it it was the same colour as egg yolk.

With my own car it refused to accelerate, got gradually worse to the point fuel would cut at the 4k rpm mark. When I changed the filter it was almost black with some weird slugde/grit at the bottom of the filter housing.

On both vehicles we just changed the filter, topped up with proper diesel and away we went. Ah, the joys of mechanical indirect diesels :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This thread was originally in the Limerick forum so presume it was the Dublin Road in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi again.
    Thanks for your replies. . . I wasn't looking for legal advice. Just was interested in hearing if anybody else had engine trouble after a fill on the Dublin road. pm me if this has happened to you. thanks

Only because you're asking if other people have had the same experience...

Exactly which town are you in? Practically every town in Ireland has a 'Dublin road', how are we supposed to know which town you're in?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You sure it was diesel you put in, and not petrol ?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Did your mechanic say "watered diesel" or "washed diesel"?

If it's watered diesel a sample might be no use because water and diesel do not mix, the water will just be sitting in the bottom of the tank.

If it's washed diesel there will be chemical agents in the fuel that will show if you send a sample for testing. However the sort of business that sells washed diesel will probably "disappear" before you can sue them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jamescd wrote: »
    He said petrol station. What is he supposed to call it, diesel station ?:confused:

Fuel hole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

coylemj wrote: »

Exactly which town are you in? Practically every town in Ireland has a 'Dublin road', how are we supposed to know which town you're in?

This thread was moved from the Limerick section so as already pointed out a few posts back, it's most likely the Dublin road in Limerick the OP referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

I had a problem with another filling station. I sought legal advice and was told that I would need to prove that I was sold bad fuel. You need to get a sample of the fuel from the same pump as close to the time you bought your fuel as possible. Have this witnessed by a member of their staff and ask them to sign a letter basically saying that you got a sample of fuel from them for testing purposes. Now you will have to prove that if that sample of fuel is contaminated, that the sample you provided wasn't tampered with! Very difficult! Also you need to get a sample from the car. Now, as there was fuel already in the car the sample from the car and the sample direct from the pump will not match exactly. Its a difficult thing to prove.

My advice would be to try and find other people that may have bought contaminated fuel from the same place. Social networking sites is a good place to start. Good luck

Advertisement