Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lasagne

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

mod9maple wrote: »
    My advice? Don't use white sauce. Use Cottage cheese. An Italian born woman taught my mother how to make it, and she suggested Cottage cheese as a Ricotta substitute (which wasn't readily available in 1969).

Our family have been eating it like that ever since and it's delicious. We wouldn't dream of putting white sauce in it. Mozzarella, Parmesan and Cottage cheeses with the other standard ingredients.

Also delicious if you blend the cottage cheese with chopped spinach and basil and a bit of green pesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

hardCopy wrote: »
    Also delicious if you blend the cottage cheese with chopped spinach and basil and a bit of green pesto.

That actually does sound delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

dyer wrote: »

i dont really worry too much about how i layer things but i usually start with some pasta sheets (break some sheets on the side of the dish to fill any gaps along the sides etc), followed by tomato sauce, then some veg, bechamel and some grated parmesan. repeat until all the ingredients are used up, but make sure you have enough tomato sauce and bechamel left to cover one last layer of pasta (i find this way the pasta doesn't go hard if using dried sheets).

I made lasagna last night and took your advice of starting the layer with pasta. I liked how it came clean when you dish it out. Great tip, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I made lasagna last night and took your advice of starting the layer with pasta. I liked how it came clean when you dish it out. Great tip, thanks!
    That is more or less how I do it, I never pre soak the sheets but I make the meat/veg sauce more liquid than I would for a just pasta sauce, I carefully sink the ladle into the sauce and get a ladle which is only liquid (as much as possible) put that in the base so it is under the bottom layer for the liquid to soften the sheets but not leave too much of a mess. Then layer above that. Always works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Does anyone boil the pasta sheets before putting them in the lasagne?
    My pasta sheets often come out too hard or all dry/burnt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I soak mine in water for 30mins or so. Doesnt have to be warm water. This tip courtesy of the Ideas in Food folks. Works really well, hydrates the pasta without needing to mess about with hot water, and it cooks cooks when the lasagne is baked anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does anyone boil the pasta sheets before putting them in the lasagne?
    My pasta sheets often come out too hard or all dry/burnt.

This is much discussed in this thread.

Advertisement