Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McClean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Paul Green is not from Northern Ireland. Anyway he's one of the worst players to ever pull on an Irish jersey so the North can have him if they want.

Nor is he from Ireland,but if he holds an Irish Passport he was eligable to play for Northern Ireland.(part of the good friday aggrement)

The North should be trying to get players like Jermaine Pennant on board aswell because wasnt he saying he has/is eligable for an Irish Passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Paul4As wrote: »
    The OurWeeCountry website has the Red Hand of Ulster centre to their homepage. That is the flag flown at Northern Ireland games. There is nothing wrong with that! What do you want a tri-colour? :)
    As I have said before...players play for their country not to look for success...it is to represent the country they were born or their family have roots. That fact will never change.
    Club football is about playing for a team that wins all the time or who pays you the more money.
    The IFA will still be present and functioning perfectly well in 20 years time. We may still have a pretty poor team...but we will still be there...probably still talked about with venom by people like you. :D
    Concentrate on your own international team and your own organisation which interferes with our kids...and stop abusing the GAWA! :p

What about the Red Georges cross? That is not the official crest of the IFA.

also you've misspelt pity. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Paul Green is not from Northern Ireland. Anyway he's one of the worst players to ever pull on an Irish jersey so the North can have him if they want.

And why would that be now? Methinks you are just trolling with that statement.

Oh dear oh dear,.

Quick history lesson.

The Belfast based IFA was the origional football governering body on the island of Ireland.

The FAI broke away from the IFA after independence, at the time of independence there was no guarantee that there would be a new association for the 'Free State', it happened for a variety of reasons.
    And post independence there were some games played by an all Ireland team.

If the associations were to re-unite (hopefully not) then there would be a be a case for the FAI coming back into the IFA fold, rather than vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,496 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If the associations were to re-unite (hopefully not) then there would be a be a case for the FAI coming back into the IFA fold, rather than vice versa.

Ah now be realistic, in the event that they ever unified the FAI are hardly going to be concerned about what happened 80+ years ago.

They are the bigger organisation now with deeper pockets and any possibly unifcation would likely reflect that.

noodler wrote: »
    Ah now be realistic, in the event that they ever unified the FAI are hardly going to be concerned about what happened 80+ years ago.

They are the bigger organisation now with deeper pockets and any possibly unifcation would likely reflect that.

As I said I hope it never happens as I am happy with the ROI soccer team as it is.

I was just reacting to the silly statment by another poster that said 'The existence of the NI soccer team is what should be under question'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,496 ✭✭✭✭noodler

As I said I hope it never happens as I am happy with the ROI soccer team as it is.

I was just reacting to the silly statment by another poster that said 'The existence of the NI soccer team is what should be under question'

I agree with your general sentiment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Well let me put it another way; it is just as legitimate in my view to question the existence of the NI team itself, as it is to question or criticise those born anywhere on the island of Ireland (including obviously Northern Ireland) who decide to play for the ROI as is their right to do so. In other words people from the NI set up should stop complaining about players who exercise their right to play for the ROI team if they are born anywhere on the island of Ireland.

I think the problem could be resolved by striving to create a united Ireland team to compete at international level if possible. The Ireland rugby team plays in Dublin, so I'd imagine realistically speaking an Ireland soccer team would play most competitive home games there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well let me put it another way; it is just as legitimate in my view to question the existence of the NI team itself, as it is to question or criticise those born anywhere on the island of Ireland (including obviously Northern Ireland) who decide to play for the ROI as is their right to do so. In other words people from the NI set up should stop complaining about players who exercise their right to play for the ROI team if they are born anywhere on the island of Ireland.

I think the problem could be resolved by striving to create a united Ireland team to compete at international level if possible. The Ireland rugby team plays in Dublin, so I'd imagine realistically speaking an Ireland soccer team would play most competitive home games there too.

http://greenscene.me/2011/06/fifa-player-eligibility-in-the-context-of-ireland-the-actual-rules-the-real-facts-and-dispelling-the-prevailing-myths/

As for the second point, Windsor has the look and capacity of a league one/two ground so there wouldn't be much question of where to play if it comes down to being between that or the Aviva or Croke Park, certainly for big games that might have a high rate of demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

How much did the IFA directly spend on James McLean's development out of curiousity?

Well, whatever it was, it wouldn't takes James long to pay them back now that he's on about 16k a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

nordydan wrote: »
    Well, whatever it was, it wouldn't takes James long to pay them back now that he's on about 16k a week!

He's on less than £4,000 a week at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Paully D wrote: »
    He's on less than £4,000 a week at the moment.
    How long is his deal for actually?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How long is his deal for actually?

3 years.

There's talk of him getting a new deal at around £10,000 soon though, so I'd imagine the club will do what they did with Meyler and Henderson and offer him 5 years with that pay rise.

Where the game is administered from, and where big matches are played can be two operate locations.

As for a united Irish team, no thanks, I like our national anthem and flag, plus I do not know how the Celtic goons from the Republic support and the Rangers goons from the Northere support would ever be able to get along

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Where the game is administered from, and where big matches are played can be two operate locations.

As for a united Irish team, no thanks, I like our national anthem and flag, plus I do not know how the Celtic goons from the Republic support and the Rangers goons from the Northere support would ever be able to get along

Look, I'm happy enough with the current ROI team and set up. However if a day came when NI and the IFA would consider throwing their lot in with us, then I think we should accommodate them and make a few changes here and there to welcome them.

As for the Celtic and Rangers "goons" you refer to, well over time - about the length of time it would take for such a thing to happen - I'm sure they'd get along just fine. It's partitionist goons like yourself that might have their nose out of joint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

The OurWeeCountry website has the Red Hand of Ulster centre to their homepage. That is the flag flown at Northern Ireland games. There is nothing wrong with that! What do you want a tri-colour? :)
    As I have said before...players play for their country not to look for success...it is to represent the country they were born or their family have roots. That fact will never change.
    Club football is about playing for a team that wins all the time or who pays you the more money.
    The IFA will still be present and functioning perfectly well in 20 years time. We may still have a pretty poor team...but we will still be there...probably still talked about with venom by people like you. :D
    Concentrate on your own international team and your own organisation which interferes with our kids...and stop abusing the GAWA! :p
    red hand of ulster is a celtic symbol... whats the problem;). in all fairness though, you could moan but (personally) i wouldnt want someone in the jersey whose true allegiance lies elsewhere. there are other things like long term memories such as the 94 qualifier and the 2 fingers on the NI goal, for those changing allegiance that is a early and lasting memory. work towards integration has been good but past memories wont be erased. they would have in impact in the formative years. proving the national side is for both will take a long time... but god save the queen aint helping either!

(sorry couldnt be bothered going back for the proper quote also referrs to the paul4as) quite right tod, stupid statement, did it emerge just because the NI team is poor atm? i think they could work on integration and a neutral stance in terms of both sides beliefs but no reason to call their existance into question
    briany wrote: »
    As for the second point, Windsor has the look and capacity of a league one/two ground so there wouldn't be much question of where to play if it comes down to being between that or the Aviva or Croke Park, certainly for big games that might have a high rate of demand.
    croker... not likely with all the fai sponsership deals! if all the proposed stadium works in NI happens... what about a 40,000 seater casement though?! any proposed merger is as likely as that stadium (admitadly the pitch is a bit big)
    Look, I'm happy enough with the current ROI team and set up. However if a day came when NI and the IFA would consider throwing their lot in with us, then I think we should accommodate them and make a few changes here and there to welcome them.

As for the Celtic and Rangers "goons" you refer to, well over time - about the length of time it would take for such a thing to happen - I'm sure they'd get along just fine. It's partitionist goons like yourself that might have their nose out of joint.
    have to agree with the above, just beacuse the ROI XI is may be better man for man than a NI XI doesnt mean thats always the case, joining would create a much consistantly stronger force
    that and for the love of god, both Rangers and Celtic can base themselves in whatever ideology they want but they are in the bloody SCOTTISH pl

all said though, james has a right to play for whatever side fits with his beliefs. its hard to count the underage years where you are still evaluating yourelf as a person.... sure he said a few days ago he was a traitor for playing for the under age NI sides at all.... whats the alternative, ask everyone ROI or NI when they are 10?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I dont know if McClean will play in the match coming up but he atleast now has the chance to impress trap further in training. If he continues his form till the end of the season he should be going either way tbh (but of course thats a big IF).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I dont know if McClean will play in the match coming up but he atleast now has the chance to impress trap further in training. If he continues his form till the end of the season he should be going either way tbh (but of course thats a big IF).

It appears that Trap places a lot of store in a players performances and attitude in training. I think the audition happens in Portmarnock and not in Landsdowne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

overshoot wrote: »
    there are other things like long term memories such as the 94 qualifier and the 2 fingers on the NI goal, for those changing allegiance that is a early and lasting memory. work towards integration has been good but past memories wont be erased. they would have in impact in the formative years.

all said though, james has a right to play for whatever side fits with his beliefs. its hard to count the underage years where you are still evaluating yourelf as a person.... sure he said a few days ago he was a traitor for playing for the under age NI sides at all.... whats the alternative, ask everyone ROI or NI when they are 10?

Your going back to 94...18 years ago. :) 18 years ago some people high up in the Northern Ireland Assembly nowadays were heavily involved in terrorism!
    People move on...people have to move on in life.

James McClean was an adult when he was playing for Northern Ireland under 21s. Not 10. We'll technically he was an adult....I don't know him personally to decide his maturity then.

The IFA will still continue to work with school children from all communites...even if a few of the kids support other national teams...the Football For All Campaign has been going well for many years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I'm sick of hearing about how angry the IFA are upset about players from the north leaving them. Let's remember that McClean came from Derry city football club which is a club within the FAI sphere and thus allowed him to gain the attention and to improve as a footballer in a better league then the Irish premier league up north. Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

edgecutter wrote: »
    I'm sick of hearing about how angry the IFA are upset about players from the north leaving them. Let's remember that McClean came from Derry city football club which is a club within the FAI sphere and thus allowed him to gain the attention and to improve as a footballer in a better league then the Irish premier league up north. Rant over.

There was some pretty nasty racist postings on tweeter about McClean from those supporting the 6 counties after McClean tweeted how happy and proud he was to be called up for his country. It really is no wonder now that so many Irish in the 6 counties are declaring to play for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

I am certainly no bigot just because I support Northern Ireland. And I would say a large percentage of our support is not bigoted.
    But there are bigots in Northern Ireland...some of which who support Norn Iron and others who support the Republic.
    As for Northern Ireland is a "makey up country"...you are hilarious! :D...and definitely seem to have a few issues with Irish history.
    Hopefully the Northern Ireland football team does not resort to being composed of only protestants players and protestants fans. Sports should bring different people and communities together...not separate.

Nothing wrong with my history and yes that is my view on the northern state. I understand others would disagree and they are entitled to their opinion just like I am to mine. Its those trying to force their beliefs on others which is causing the problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

eire4 wrote: »
    There was some pretty nasty racist postings on tweeter about McClean from those supporting the 6 counties after McClean tweeted how happy and proud he was to be called up for his country. It really is no wonder now that so many Irish in the 6 counties are declaring to play for Ireland.

But on their passport it says that they are Irish.Who do you want them to play for..........Uzbekistan???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

eire4 wrote: »

It's nothing to do with our fans being so lovely and nicer than theirs. Wonder what kind of abuse a promising u-21 FAI player would get if he switched to England.

As far as I see it, the reason for players switching is down to identification, and football identification, not national.

For years, Northern Irish football has only represented one half of their population. Obviously that's being rectified somewhat these days but it's still in the background of players coming through today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

gosplan wrote: »
    As far as I see it, the reason for players switching is down to identification, and football identification, not national.

I hope that's the case, that he identifies himself as Irish and with the Irish team and that, if the two teams standings were reversed, him and the others would still be declaring for the Republic. I hope it's not a cynical decision to further their careers because it could lead to a vicious cycle, a footballing brain drain of sorts and contribute to skewing the demographics of the NI team. I totally believe in and uphold their right to declare as Irishmen but I don't believe that they should cite background, politics and nationality if the real overriding reason is that they wish to play for the more successful team . If their primary reason is the latter then they should say that and take whatever flack is coming.

Old Gill wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with my history and yes that is my view on the northern state. I understand others would disagree and they are entitled to their opinion just like I am to mine. Its those trying to force their beliefs on others which is causing the problems

Northern Ireland is a separate country to the Republic of Ireland.
    It is a fact...nothing is made up...hence why there are two football teams!:)
    Some people like to bury their heads in the sand.
    May be your history knowledge of Ireland ends about 100 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Northern Ireland is a separate country to the Republic of Ireland.
    It is a fact...nothing is made up...hence why there are two football teams!:)
    Some people like to bury their heads in the sand.
    May be your history knowledge of Ireland ends about 100 years ago.

well your's seems to end about 14 years ago so you can't really complain...

Liam O wrote: »
    well your's seems to end about 14 years ago so you can't really complain...

I was rubbish at history in school...that's why I live in the present...not the past.
    You can live in the past if you want. :)

For years, Northern Irish football has only represented one half of their population. Obviously that's being rectified somewhat these days but it's still in the background of players coming through today.

someone earlier posted a link to an article that stated than a person from NI could always declare for ROI even prior to the GFA.

If that is the case and if as you suggest football only served one community in NI, then why did the likes of Jennings, MON, and many many more play for NI for so long ?

I'm going to be cynical and think that the ROI progress under Trap is not going unnoticed by some young lads of a certain background up north, I doubt the same notice was taken when Stan was in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

It's nothing to do with our fans being so lovely and nicer than theirs. Wonder what kind of abuse a promising u-21 FAI player would get if he switched to England.

If you're going to use an analogy to illustrate your story than use a relevant one!

Someone born in Dublin has no automatic entitlement to play for England, someone born in the 06 has an automatic entitlement to play for the Republic.

• Advertisement

Someone born in Dublin has no automatic entitlement to play for England, someone born in the 06 has an automatic entitlement to play for the Republic.

Someone born in Dublin has an automatic entitlement to play for England...provided they have a parent or grandparent who was born in England.

Advertisement