Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do many of you cook the ham on Xmas eve?

Options
  • 20-12-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if many of you boil your ham on Xmas eve and leave it in the fridge overnight and glaze and bake it on Xmas day? I'd imagine it would take slot of the stress out of the day or does it taste best if it's all done on the one day.
    Would love to hear what you do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Boiled, glazed and baked on Christmas eve here. You have enough to do on the day and the flavour will improve with the extra time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yep, all done Christmas Eve. Then some of it is usually tucked into at tea time!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was always done Christmas Eve in our house. Then attacked and decimated by the slobbering hordes returning from the pub late on Christmas Eve/Christmas morning. Drove my mother mad every time!

Ham is far nicer the next day, or even the next day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I boil my ham on Christmas Eve. Occasionally have some that night. I then heat slices of it in the oven for Christmas dinner (for me glazing & all that malarky is too much effort for what goes into your gob & what you get to taste at the end of the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Ah brings back memories. Coming back from midnight mass (when it was midnight mass!) and the ham had been boiled and having a few slices of it. Yummy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Our ham is boiled on Christmas eve and the water it is boiled in used for boiling the sprouts on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Boiled on Christmas Eve, glazed with Honey and cloves stuck into it the next day - heartburn city, population me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

There'd be nothing left for Christmas dinner in our house if it was done the day before, we're alllllllllllll about the ham!

Done on Christmas day chez nous - but boiled only, we hate baked ham in our house! As someone else mentioned, it is, of course, obligatory to do the sprouts in the ham water afterwards.

St. Stephen's Day breakfast is always nice thick slices of the ham, fried, with loads of eggs and mountains of buttery toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Definitly Christmas eve, it's much easier to cut when it's cold, not to mention the sangers after a few jars while waiting for Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup, always boiled and glazed on Christmas eve.
    It was always cut on Christmas Eve night for supper (cold by then) and served cold on Christmas day too.
    And tis always a whole ham on the bone so no fear of there not being any for Christmas dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 loadsofham

Guys whats the cooking time for baking a 7.5kg ham

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Into his foil tent in the oven then glazed and put back in..then take it out and try to peel a bit of the crispy glaze off without getting burnt! :D I cook 45mins per kg @ gas 4 then glaze @ gas 6 for another 30-40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

steph1 wrote: »
    Ah brings back memories. Coming back from midnight mass (when it was midnight mass!) and the ham had been boiled and having a few slices of it. Yummy!

Hot slice of ham in between two soft white slices of bread and butter.
    OHGOODHOLYJESUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm going with this recipe this year (below), I have a 2.25kg ham and based on that size one simmers it for 2 hours and lets it cool in the water you've simmered it in, then next day put the cloves and glaze on it and cook for 1 hour covered with foil, then foil off for further 20 mins, then rest it for 30 mins.
    So by getting the 2 hours simmering done Christmas Evening it helps a lot on the day itself.

Enjoy y'all !

http://supervalu.ie/recipe/christmas-baked-ham/ you can select the size of your ham here as cooking times will vary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

vicwatson wrote: »
    I'm going with this recipe this year (below), I have a 2.25kg ham and based on that size one simmers it for 2 hours and lets it cool in the water you've simmered it in, then next day put the cloves and glaze on it and cook for 1 hour covered with foil, then foil off for further 20 mins, then rest it for 30 mins.
    So by getting the 2 hours simmering done Christmas Evening it helps a lot on the day itself.

Enjoy y'all !

http://supervalu.ie/recipe/christmas-baked-ham/ you can select the size of your ham here as cooking times will vary

Good one - will try this with one difference. Coke instead of water for boiling.

Went black two years ago and never went back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bonnie g

Is it ok to cook a gammon the week before Xmas and keep it refrigerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've my ham in the oven atm but will freeze most of it ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always cook my ham on Christmas eve. Because it's a whole ham I don't boil it though, I bake it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Boiled until nearly done and left to cool in the cooking liquor on Christmas Eve night.

Then glazed on Christmas Day.

This will be this years recipe. http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2013/0909/3970-irish-ham-fillet-with-mustard-and-honey-glaze/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Red Rua

As a matter of interest does anyone cook their turkey on Christmas eve and then slice and reheat on Christmas day. (I don't but just wondering if it might be a good idea)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ham is always cooked Christmas Eve. And ham sambos are always a Christmas Eve treat. :)

Red Rua wrote: »
    As a matter of interest does anyone cook their turkey on Christmas eve and then slice and reheat on Christmas day. (I don't but just wondering if it might be a good idea)

A friend of mine parents do this. They overcook the turkey on Christmas Eve evening, right into the early hours and eat it warm/cold the next day. They have very dry turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

I know someone who cooks all the meats the day before and then serves it almost like carvery/restaurant turkey and ham. They slice the meats and make one pile per guest of turkey/ham/stuffing on a tray the night before. Christmas day tray goes into the oven to heat.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I know someone who cooks all the meats the day before and then serves it almost like carvery/restaurant turkey and ham. They slice the meats and make one pile per guest of turkey/ham/stuffing on a tray the night before. Christmas day tray goes into the oven to heat.

That's more like a hotel kitchen for a large function. The whole idea of a carvery is that it is carved fresh in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I boiled and baked the ham yesterday. Normally done on Christmas Eve, but did it early this year because the folks headed off today and will be away for Christmas so cooked it early to let them have some sambos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CathyG81

Probably a little late to be asking this but...boiled the ham tonight. It's just finished and wondering if I can leave it in the pot on the cooker to cool overnight? Is that safe? Or do I need to take it out of the pot let it cool then put in the fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Id just take it out of pot, leave on plate covered in tin foil out of the fridge.

Advertisement