Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else try shopping for a suit recently...? Disaster!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Morlock

Dr Galen wrote: »
    A distinct lack of waistcoats being mentioned in this thread! :)

Hot weather and still needing to look classy, can be an option for some. Maybe not for everyday wear, and a lot depends on the person too.

Valid point , however my personal taught on the waste coat is that it only looks well on the slimmer man.

If your a heaver build as I am I am not so sure, I can not confirm this as I dont have a waist coat,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

You should try it, I've seen bigger lads wear a nice tailored waistcoat and look a) slimmer and b) very good, even though they were bigger lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Morlock

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is the risk you take. Also the cost of sending it back and forth would probably not be worthwhile. I was lucky enough to be over there a couple of times so got all the measurements done whilst there. They do accept measurements by e-mail. I got a suit for my brother by sending his measurements and it fitted fine. I'm sure it could be taken in by someone in Ireland

If you wouldnt mind, sending out any details or an email for the tailor you had yours and your brothers suits done with, either here or as a private message I would like to contact them.

I would rather use a company that someone has used than take a chance myself just surfing the web,

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I am 6.4 tall and struggle with suits. I go through 2-3 suits a year. For me, the best fit are Strellson suits but again, their quality is not the best I find. I love Baumler but while their trousers will fit me (I wear 34 or 35 L) the jacket in a 42L will never fit and 44L does not add much to the length but it does become baggy!
    I have tried Zegna in Savoy Taylers Guild. A caveat is that these suits are Zegna cloth but not made by Zegna. While the material is great, the fit is more for American people.

My preferred suit is Boss I must say and good deals can be found in Kildare Village.Especially if one can wait for their sales. They do not do a mix'n match there but a 42 L (with trousers in 102) fits me OK. I would not pay more than 400 Euro for a suit TBH. In terms of good value shirts, Olymp does it fine for me. They do the extra long sleeve and wash and wear well.
    I was wondering if anyone has experience with Milan suits. I have 4 pairs of their trousers and I like them a lot. They are made of superfine wool (120 or 130). Link is here for their suits. Any comment welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

regedit wrote: »
    They are made of superfine wool (120 or 130). Link is here for their suits. Any comment welcome.

If you are going through 3/4 suits a year I would recommend that you stay away from any superfine wool. Without getting into weaving processes and the definition of superfine anything that describes itself as such feels softer and is softer. Anything that is soft will wear poorly. It is luxurious in terms of feel etc. but will not last.

If you want to get durability from your suits you need to go for the heaviest cloth you can find. Also get extra trousers as this will drastically lengthen the life of the suit.

You also need to wear your suits in rotation i.e. wear the one suit no more than once every seven days.

In your price range you might be well advised to look at Magee suits as they will do an extra pair of trousers for you, and don't do much of this 'superfine' nonsense if I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

I'm not by any means an expert in suits, I've only bought two! But the last one was hard to get, I eventually bought in Eddie Murphy's here in Mayo but as was mentioned before, there are a lot of skinny jean type suits which really p1ssed me off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

I'm not by any means an expert in suits, I've only bought two! But the last one was hard to get, I eventually bought in Eddie Murphy's here in Mayo but as was mentioned before, there are a lot of skinny jean type suits which really p1ssed me off!

Should have gone to Anthony Ryans or Hanleys in Galway.

Got a lovely Douglas Suit in Ryans a few years back for €300.

Advertisement