Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Damaged wheel brace.

Options
  • 16-12-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭

I had to change a wheel this morning, but when I went to remove the wheel nuts, I found the socket in the wheel brace was cracked - it's only been used once before, 11 reg Ford. Luckily I got one from a neighbour, and got the wheel changed, but when I showed it to the guys in the tyre place they didn't bat an eyelid - they said the wheel braces are made of really light stuff nowadays, not nearly good enough. I know they try to keep costs down, but this really pissed me off. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Buy a Cross wheel brace and store it in your boot. The wheel braces that come with cars are terrible, especially if you ever bring your car to a garage with air guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

In my experience this usually happens as a result of wheel nuts/studs being over tightened in the first place. Tyre centres are the worst culprits for this. Using the power guns to tighten studs is not the best practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

johnayo wrote: »
    In my experience this usually happens as a result of wheel nuts/studs being over tightened in the first place. Tyre centres are the worst culprits for this. Using the power guns to tighten studs is not the best practice.

That's why I had to abandon my car last week with a flat. Down to halfords for an extanding brace the next evening. Once I stood on the 2ft handle and got the nut loosened, changing the wheel became the 5 minute job it should have been in the first place. €12 for the brace, and about €30 on taxi fares...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

endacl wrote: »
    That's why I had to abandon my car last week with a flat. Down to halfords for an extanding brace the next evening. Once I stood on the 2ft handle and got the nut loosened, changing the wheel became the 5 minute job it should have been in the first place. €12 for the brace, and about €30 on taxi fares...
    Excellent tip - I'm not that strong and always have to stand on the brace. This sounds perfect. Trading in the car beginning of January, so that'll be the first thing I buy for the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

vienne86 wrote: »
    Excellent tip - I'm not that strong and always have to stand on the brace. This sounds perfect. Trading in the car beginning of January, so that'll be the first thing I buy for the new car.

I picked up one for herself at the same time. No boot should be without one. Made an impossible job a simple job.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    I picked up one for herself at the same time. No boot should be without one. Made an impossible job a simple job.

I was lucky in that the borrowed brace came with TWO fit men this morning. But really it should not be a big deal changing a wheel, especially as my spare is a mini, so yes, no boot should be without one of these extendible ones, which I didn't even know existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭orm0nd

as mentioned one of these

http://www.easybuycarparts.ie/wheel-brace-extendable-p-40129.html

is the business

be careful standing on a brace, bro chipped his ankle when the stud broke, it was only 9 to 12 inches off the ground

orm0nd wrote: »
    as mentioned one of these

http://www.easybuycarparts.ie/wheel-brace-extendable-p-40129.html

is the business

be careful standing on a brace, bro chipped his ankle when the stud broke, it was only 9 to 12 inches off the ground

Tks for this. I usually stamp on the brace with one foot rather than stand on it....depends on having heavy shoes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Accessories that come with cars can be crap.Got caught (luckily at home) a few years ago when i got my first puncture with my Focus. Alloy wheels and decorative dust caps on the wheel nuts. Dust caps slipped on the nuts when loosening them. Had to pull off the dust caps and locate an 18mm socket. Still needed the wheel brace to open the Security nut. No dust caps now but carry 18mm socket on swivel power bar as well.
    Air guns are grand for opening nuts but should be tightened by hand. Have seen fine threads been completely stripped by using an airgun to tighten wheelnuts on a tractor. Wheel came off on the road.

Accessories that come with cars can be crap.Got caught (luckily at home) a few years ago when i got my first puncture with my Focus. Alloy wheels and decorative dust caps on the wheel nuts. Dust caps slipped on the nuts when loosening them. Had to pull off the dust caps and locate an 18mm socket. Still needed the wheel brace to open the Security nut. No dust caps now but carry 18mm socket on swivel power bar as well.
    Air guns are grand for opening nuts but should be tightened by hand. Have seen fine threads been completely stripped by using an airgun to tighten wheelnuts on a tractor. Wheel came off on the road.

Yup, mine's a Cmax and I found out all about those damned dust caps too! I'm changing for a Kia in January, so the first thing I will check out is wheel nuts, wheel brace etc.

The puncture was in the wall of the tyre - my own fault for hitting a curb. But pain in the face having to replace a tyre when the car is effectively sold. Still, I can think of worse things that can happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ford have absolutely dire wheel braces, made from pure muck, will get blunt in no time. Best bet is to replace it with a proper one from a motor factors.

Advertisement