Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on selling a website?

Options
  • 09-12-2011 3:23pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I started a website project a few months ago, which went great at the start and got a fantastic reception but since I now have a new job I just don't have the time to put into making it a success. I really think that someone else could easily get it to grow and make money so I've decided to sell it rather than it go to waste. I've put it on flippa but not sure how much exposure it will get as its an Irish targeted website. All the hard work has been done getting the site up and running and operational, a decent userbase with facebook and twitter etc - but now it needs some promotion to get the word out there etc. I'm not looking for anything silly in terms of money, If done properly the person could get their money back in a few months.

Can anyone give me advise as to how best to go about selling it? Or is there anyone who actually will sell it for you - for a generous commission?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

There's a Websites for Sale section on the Irish Webmaster Forum, might help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Even though it's an Irish targeted website, I would consider advertising at a larger scale. Almost everything online is easy to manage from anywhere in the world. Unless you think it might only work with an Irish owner..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks yes that's true - although it might have a certain appeal to an Irish person due to the nature of the site.

Really I should have sold this thing at the beginning when the traffic was high and growing and it was starting to make some money. Now however the traffic has dropped and its not making much money - but really the person that will be interested will like the concept and want to do something with it. Basically it would cost them a hell of a lot more to get a similar site up and running, I have done all the ground work.

What else can I do to get the word out and hopefully find a buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

www.flippa.com is the clear market leader for selling websites. List it there and it'll be seen by the most potential buyers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

www.flippa.com is the clear market leader for selling websites. List it there and it'll be seen by the most potential buyers.

He already said he has it on Flippa. The problem you will have Zascar is the traffic, which by your own admission has dropped. People will always ask what the current traffic and hits are when buying a website. Relative to other sites they might be too low for people to be interested. Why not stick an ad on the site itself saying its for sale and see if any of the users have an interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Seems a shame Zascar to give it up to someone else who could make something bigger out of it within a year or two....I know you say you haven't got the time, but there could be some creative solutions around it - outsource the customer service work, work on it at weekends, get an intern to help with marketing, etc...you might have considered that already but that's the way I'd be thinking anyway.

Advertisement